Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, Pat Williamson, gehajake), 1,370 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#363937 01/23/14 09:22 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Below is the soil information for my property, I was hoping someone could help me interpret this for building a pond. Is this report a good thing or a bad thing, does it mean I will have to bring in a lot of clay?

PfC—Paxton very stony loam, 8 to 15 percent slopes

Map Unit Composition

Paxton and similar soils: 85 percent
Description of Paxton

Setting

Landform: Drumlinoid ridges
Landform position (two-dimensional): Summit, shoulder
Landform position (three-dimensional): Interfluve, crest
Down-slope shape: Convex
Across-slope shape: Convex
Parent material: Coarse-loamy lodgment till derived from mica schist
Properties and qualities

Slope: 8 to 15 percent
Surface area covered with cobbles, stones or boulders: 1.6 percent
Depth to restrictive feature: 18 to 40 inches to densic material
Drainage class: Well drained
Capacity of the most limiting layer to transmit water (Ksat): Moderately low to moderately high (0.06 to 0.60 in/hr)
Depth to water table: About 24 to 42 inches
Frequency of flooding: None
Frequency of ponding: None
Available water capacity: Very low (about 2.9 inches)
Interpretive groups

Farmland classification: Not prime farmland
Land capability (nonirrigated): 6s
Hydrologic Soil Group: C
Typical profile

0 to 8 inches: Loam
8 to 20 inches: Fine sandy loam
20 to 65 inches: Gravelly fine sandy loam

I subscribe!
L
OP Offline
L
I still have to dig a hole to see what is down there. It states it is very sand which concerns me. But at my previous house the soil quality according to the survey was very similar and when I got down to about 18 it was all clay. Just looking for some interpretation of that data. Thanks

I subscribe!
V
Fingerling
Fingerling
V
Sandy loams have pretty low percentages of clay. If you look at the "USDA soil texture classification triangle" - http://www.had2know.com/garden/classify-soil-texture-triangle-chart.html - it shows that sand loams can be between 0 and 20% clay.

However, most soil surveys are conducted on a large enough scale that there will be a certain amount of inaccuracy as you found where you used to live. So you don't really know until you dig some test pits to verify.

L
OP Offline
L
Darn that was what I was worried about. I was hoping since is said class C it would be more a a clay consistency.

Group A is sand, loamy sand or sandy loam types of soils. It has low runoff potential and high infiltration rates even when thoroughly wetted. They consist chiefly of deep, well to excessively drained sands or gravels and have a high rate of water transmission.

Group B is silt loam or loam. It has a moderate infiltration rate when thoroughly wetted and consists chiefly or moderately deep to deep, moderately well to well drained soils with moderately fine to moderately coarse textures.

Group C soils are sandy clay loam. They have low infiltration rates when thoroughly wetted and consist chiefly of soils with a layer that impedes downward movement of water and soils with moderately fine to fine structure.

Group D soils are clay loam, silty clay loam, sandy clay, silty clay or clay. This HSG has the highest runoff potential. They have very low infiltration rates when thoroughly wetted and consist chiefly of clay soils with a high swelling potential, soils with a permanent high water table, soils with a claypan or clay layer at or near the surface and shallow soils over nearly impervious material.

I subscribe!
V
Fingerling
Fingerling
V
What about existing ponds in your area? Look at some that are in the same mapped soil unit and find out how water-tight they are or how they were constructed. For instance, was clay trucked in to line them or were they built entirely with soil from the site?

I still think the only way to know for sure what you have for soil is to have some test pits dug. Get someone with a backhoe and see what you got. Maybe find local pond builder who knows what he's talking about who can dig the pits. Or see if the NRCS can offer any help.

Good luck

Fingerling
Fingerling
Clouds,

You can start by looking at a potential new pond site using the Web Soil Survey Software. What this software does is defines a sites suitability for a specific use. In our case we mean the sites ability to be used for pond construction. The software determines pond construction potential by assessing saturated hydraulic conductivity (Ksat) (how well water moves through a media) and the depth to bedrock or other porous materials. This data is then compared to slope to determine a potential pond construction rating. What you get is a visual, numeric, and verbal reading to help understand the rating. Ratings are from “Not Limited” to “Somewhat Limited” to “Very Limited”. A “Not Limited” rating means the soil site is favorable area for pond construction. “Somewhat Limited” means the site is moderately favorable but has specific limitations. A “Very Limited” site means the site has one of more unfavorable components with limitations that will be extremely difficult to overcome. Rating for each parameter start at 0.00 for no limitations and rise to 1.00 for most limited. On the map each soil types rating is shown with a color of green, yellow, or red based on the pond rating. These ratings should not be the determining factor of where a pond can be built but instead give you an idea of what complications to expect. In most cases you want a pond building with a soil composition of 30-40% clay composition no more. I always recommend beginning construction by digging a test hole. The software also, does not take into account your watershed which is another important part of building the correct size pond. Any limitation can be overcome with proper planning, and in some cases a large budget.

I will walk you through how to assess a location on your own from your computer.

Go To:
http://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/HomePage.htm

1) Click the Green Button (START WSS).

This will bring up another page which should have an interactive map of the US similar to google maps. You should see several buttons at the top of the map. The first two buttons are zoom in and out. The third button is a hand which allows you to move the map without zooming. Another useful buttons could be the ruler which will allow you to measure distance. You will also need one of the two AOI buttons later.

2) Using the zoom and movement tools find your property/ potential site.

3) Once you find your property use one of the Area of Interest tools (Rectangle AOI or Polygon AOI) to select an area to analyze. The button with the red rectangle gives you a set rectangle AOI and the polygon AOI button lets you define a multi sided area.

4) After you select your AOI the software should update by saying CREATING AOI. Your map then should refresh with your defined area with blue lines through it. Once you are to this point you want to select the tab that says Soil Data Explorer from the 5 tabs at the top of the page.

5) The software will update again and the map should now have orange lines defining soil compositions and soil data markers. On the left side of the map there is a List of Suitabilities and Limitations Ratings. You want to click Water Management.

6) Under water management click Pond Reservoir Areas and then the button that says View Ratings. Do not change the stock settings before clicking View Rating.

7) After clicking the program will say Running “Pond Reservoir Areas” and your map will update with Green, Yellow, and Red colors at each soil site.

8) Note the symbol of your specific planned pond site and scroll down. You will see each symbol followed by the soil type name, rating, and most importantly the reasons for each rating numerically. The rating reason is important because it is going to show you what the limitations to your site could be. Remember a 1.00 is the highest and thus most limited.

I hope this helps you in your pond building quest.

Happy Fishing!!
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you for the replies they are most helpful.

Vamas- I do plan on digging holes in the spring to find out what is there. I can't currently as it is quite cold (I think it was 10 degrees yesterday for high) so, I have to wait :-(. There are 4 ponds in my neighborhood and 3 just out side which makes 7 within 2 miles,3 of which are within a 1/2 mile. I have considered those which gives me hope as they appear to be on the same soil as I have. But as you said I'm not sure if they had clay trucked in or not. I'll have to see If I can find out. Some are all small farm ponds, one I think is recreational and the other looks for be for fires.

Stbar- thank you for that information. I have been using that site. It is where I got my soil information from. I was unaware of the water feature which will be immensely helpful. I will have to use that tonight when I get home from work. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it yields good results. Then NRCS should be out this spring after I dig my test holes to help advise on the project.

I subscribe!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gehajake - 04/28/24 01:38 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build