Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 741 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
That picture brings back a lot of memories.

I believe that gathering was after PB-I. At PB-I, I only briefly spoke to Dave, and was in awe a bit. I didn't feel worthy to intrude on him. Man, I was wrong.

At Lusk Lodge, I got to spend quality time with Dave, and there is nobody more down to earth. As I think I was the youngest person there, he was telling me all the things I had to look forward to. We had covered the failing vision thing, and he was touching on a few other aspects. Then he added..."and weak stream!"

I was like "What????"

Now, some years later...I know, I know!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Now the empty chair !

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
We are very sad to hear this news. I have tremendous respect for the man. Live for the moment.

It's ALL about the fish!
Lunker
Lunker
This is a bummer. My heart goes out to Dave's family. Always ready to share his knowledge, and as you can see, a very good man.

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Memorial donations may be made to the David W. Willis Memorial Scholarship by visiting www.sdstatefoundation.org or SDSU Foundation, Lohr Building, 815 Medary Ave., Box 525, Brookings, SD 57007; 605-697-7475.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Found this in my photos. Dave was very interested in Bruce's Pavlov trained bass.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I LOVE that photo!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
So sorry and shocked to learn of this. I didn't know Dave and never met him personally, but we exchanged a few fun conversations through PMs here on the forum. Definitely praying for his family.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A lot of you have said live for the moment, live each day like it may be your last. When things like this happen it really starts to make you think about how little time you really do have here on this Earth.

Saying things like live for the moment and live each day like it may be your last can sometimes not be so easy, as you can get all caught up in all the things going on in this life and if your not careful you just missed it!! The actual phrase doesn't happen very often to the extent in which you would like it to, but I actually found myself smack dab in the middle of one certain moment last year at the pond.

My mother and father were here working with me as they been the past few years and it was Fathers Day Weekend. We had everyone up to the cabin for a big lunch and work / fun party. I was having a blast watching my 2 boys catching these large BG and HSB and LMB that God and the good folks at PondBoss has blessed me with and my parents were on the deck watching their son and grandsons fishing and having a blast and I just stopped what I was doing as the spirit of joy just came over me and I realized how important of a moment I was having and almost missed it!! I started to tear up and my 10 year old son asked me was I ok? I looked at him and said yeah buddy I couldn't be better as I helped him put a worm on his hook! I was actually in that moment you live for! That was awesome and something I will not soon forget!!!

Sorry just thought I would share!
RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Lunker
Lunker
I didn't know Dr. Willis but my eyes are tearing up reading all these great sentiments. It's obvious he was very well respected and a wonderful human being, what a terrible loss. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
This is a picture that kenc sent to me, and requested to be posted:

Ken, if you care to describe it...

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My day included a lot of thoughts about Dr. Dave and his wonderful bride. Special doesn't even begin to describe the two of them.

Lynda and I last saw Dr. Dave and Susie about a year ago when a number of us gathered at the Lusk's. Dave was so vibrant. He looked and acted like he did before he was originally diagnosed with a medical problem. He gave all of us signed copies of his great pond management book, which is becoming a standard in aquaculture training.

There are just so few people like him, he will be leaving a huge void, especially in the educational community.

It is really hard to think of him not participating with us. In his memory, I think it would be great if Pond Boss friends could provide substantial contributions to the scholarship funds to further his many research projects and students.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
K
K
Just a good picture of a great man doing what he loved. He loved his grandbabies.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
L
L
I keep thinking of Dr. Dave and my original first post. My condolences and prayers go out to his family, and I feel so bad for his grandson who experience his passing. I want to explain why I said "Off to the next great adventure!"

It is my firm belief that heaven is a heck of an adventure full of God, love and new things and meetings of people we thought lost to us. I have no doubt a soul like Dave's will be there in the midst of it, admiring it, and comforted by it.

I didn't know Dr. Dave much at all apart from a few forum interactions, but I have read some of his work. He seemed like one of those rare individuals you come across that can be easily liked, admired and appreciated as confirmed by this thread.

I didn't want to come off sounding callous so I wanted to clarify as I was short on words as I didn't know what to say.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
RC, thanks for sharing.

liquidsquid, your original post didn't seem off to me. ' Off the the next great adventure ' is pretty accurate for Dave. On fb, you can see how many students he influenced, but for many of us, we met Dave away from SDSU, on an adventure.

I echo catmandoo's comment also about supporting the scholarship fund. It's also a good time to think about supporting the Jesse West Foundation at SDSU which Dave was instrumental in establishing with ewest.

K
K
Liquidsquid, your belief of Heaven is my belief. I am a Christian, not much of one but one nevertheless. I know that I will see Dave again in Heaven as he is and was a lot better Christian then I have ever been. LS, I will look you up also. Ken Carroll.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Originally Posted By: Sunil
This is a picture that kenc sent to me, and requested to be posted:

Ken, if you care to describe it...

Prayers to the Willis family.......... The pic is a tear jerker but what a great pic!!!

I know its none of my business but I had to come back and ask what was the cause? Tell me nonya and I'll never bring it up again.

Last edited by hang_loose; 01/15/14 02:37 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hangloose, as far as we know right now, Dave had a heart attack while ice fishing with one of his grandsons. I believe he passed on later that day at the hospital. Probably fought til the very end...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
RC those are the moments that Dave lived for as do all of us. Life is short make it count for something. Thanks for reminding us all !

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here is one of those moments Dave was so very proud of

F
F
Dr. Dave Willis was a great guy willing to help with any and all questions I had. He was very knowledgeable and very willing to help.

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
R
R
I am at a loss for words after reading this.I didn't know the man but it's obvious he has touched many lives and will be deeply missed.My prayers go out to the Willis family.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dave's funeral starts in about 15 mins. My flight was cancelled so I can't get there. A moment of reflection on the loss and peace and understanding to all the friends , students and family !

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I am joining you in those reflections.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts