Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
7 members (Shorthose, Layne, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 629 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
Some of the members of this forum have suggested my HOA feeds the fish we currently have rather than stock fish somewhat randomly.

How many feeders would this take and how much food would we need on a daily basis? I'm thinking this could end up being a full-time job just feeding these fish.

The body of water is a 210 acre lake in South Carolina Lake. average depth 4-10Feet deep. deepest part 35 feet deep.We control the dam and lower it once a year in the winter. We have Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, Shellcrackers, a limited amount of Crappie and Blue Catfish, and Chain Pickeral.

Thank for all your help.

Cody Edit - for link to original topic seeking advice:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=357721#Post357721

Mark

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/19/13 07:44 PM.
J
J
It is probably limited by how much you can afford.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Why would you want to go to that expense for a 210 acre lake? A lake that size if managed correctly should produce good fishing on it's own.

The down side to feeding is an increase in phosporous and nitrogen and potential weed and algae issues.

Also keep in mind fish feed keeps going up in price as the carvnivorous species need fish meal in the feed. Granted it's typically saltwater trash fish, but it's not infinite in supply as demand keeps going up.

I predict some supply problems in the next decade for supplementsl sportfish feeding as aquaculture demand goes up and sipply goes down. That is unless we figure out a way to eliminate the fish meal and sustitute it 100 percent with grains and other things. We're not there yet.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/19/13 04:37 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
B
Cecil- see his other post , this provides more information.
Limited to what he can do with HOA. Lake sounds pretty good right now but they want bigger LMB.

Edit- I see you did reply in that chain so maybe you know the full story.

Given the options, some of us thought a feed program could be an option given the circumstances. I have no idea on the cost , etc for that size lake however, but seemed better than just a random stocking list.

Last edited by beastman; 11/19/13 04:47 PM.

I Subscribe!
3/4 Acre Pond: HSB,SMB,YP,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What is the HOA budget for that BOW this year? That will answer a lot of the questions, or give us more ideas in what direction to send you.

I would start out feeding the forage fish, because I'm assuming that the LMB in there are NOT feed trained.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
Would it be possible to just feed a certain area of the lake or certain docks etc, introduce some feed trained lmb and HSB in those areas and create some VIP type areas that could be home to larger feed trained fish. I know of some larger private lakes that have been able to establish this, and given the low fishing pressure it could be an option

I Subscribe!
3/4 Acre Pond: HSB,SMB,YP,HBG,RES
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
IMO feeding should not be implemented unless a fish survey is performed to evaluate the fishery.
CB1 notes that "A lake that size if managed correctly should produce good fishing on it's own."

I also agree. A lake of 210 acres, even one that is nutrient poor, when managed correctly can produce a high quality fishery for the relatively few anglers that use it. IMO if the fishes already present are managed properly the size structure of the fishes present can be adjusted with proper management. The main problem as I see it is there are no doubt plenty of fish standing crop. It is just those fish, crop or "herd" are not well or properly managed. It should be investigated that there may be too little angling or lack of adequate harvest on the lake to achieve the desired goals.

Example - if the lake only produces 2 lbs of predator fish per acre per year, which is a ridiculously low amount, this equates to 420 lbs per year. A more realistic weight is 4 to 8 lbs/ac/yr for nutrient poor waters. If that 420 lbs of weight were incorporated into bass weighing 8 lbs then this is 52 8 lb bass or 84 5 lb bass. Now, all the anglers have to do is be wise enough to locate and catch those bass.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/19/13 08:04 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There could be plenty of large LMB in the lake to catch, it's just that they are hook shy or over the years, the genetic trait of not biting on a hook was passed on down by the non-biting LMB that weren't caught.

Like was said, without a survey it's all just a guess.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
OP Offline
F
I have been approved to spend $16,000 to stock fish, buy fish food and/or lime the lake with a PH of 6.3 .

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Again we return to the fact that we do not know what the fish community structure is in the lake. Are the fish growing properly? Are the species present distributed size wise with proper numbers to achieve the goals?. Are the fish present and not biting, or are they not present or lacking in numbers?. One does not know the answers unless a survey or study is performed. Again, it gets back to you are sick, with a pocket full of money, and go to the doctor and tell him you are not feeling well. He takes no tests, asks no questions and does not examine you, but says let's give you a penicillin shot and send you home. How smart is that?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/19/13 08:15 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
F
Originally Posted By: Foodeefish
I have been approved to spend $16,000 to stock fish, buy fish food and/or lime the lake with a PH of 6.3 .

Can you go back to the HOA to discuss the money allocation? If you educate them, would they be willing to spend money in other ways for improvement of the fishing if you showed them that spending that much on new fish wasn't necessary?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??