Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9
18,509 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,977
Posts558,147
Members18,510
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
13 members (Sunil, Bigtrh24, TEC, Fishingadventure, RAH, Treebanger, catscratch, FireIsHot, jludwig, Theo Gallus, nvcdl, phinfan, Boondoggle), 1,185 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: JKB
Don't quite get it.

How will bladder tanks save 80% in pumping costs?

I think he is referring to that vs. constant pumping?

OK, I had to go back and refresh my memory.

Ryan has the indoor trout rig with the jet pump. It makes total sense to use a bladder tank in that setup. The other options would be a bit spendy.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Yes I had the pressure tank on my indoor trout setup but I was also pumping well water into the system off the house water well which also had its own pressure tank. The well tank as mentioned above is 81gallons (total tank size). On my system with the only water going to the fish tank (1gpm) and no where else in the house the well pump would run for 2 minutes and 40 seconds and then the tank would drain down for just over 24 minutes before the pump kicked back in again. After doing the math this would equal out to the pump running 2.4hrs in the 24hr period.

Now my small 1/2hp jet pump only had a 10 gallon tank and the pump would run aprox 1.25mins and drain down the tank for almost 3 minutes before kicking back in. My hopes for my system would be to run a tank similar to my well tank for possibly two of them in series for my re-circulation system. The re-circ system worked so well this year my hopes are to bump the GPM up even more to give more water swirl in the tank and a higher volume of water going thru my degasser setup.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Isn't the constant on and off of the well pump hard on it? Or are they designed for that?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
my local plumber (installs well pumps and full water systems) says that as long as the shut down (drain down)time is longer than the recharge time (pump running) then its perfectly okay as long as the tank is sized correctly or larger for the pump volume or the needs of the home. The reason the pressure tanks are used is to prevent the non stop pump cycling due to instant pressure loss in the plumbing system if you were not to have the resivoir.

My plumber also said that typically the size of tank I am using is used in on chicken and turkey farm applicatons in the area due to needing higher draw volumes for the automatic waters durring the hot periods of the summer keeping the pump from cycling to much. He also said that the main reason he recomended the size of tank for me in my rual country home is because of hydro loss. We have enough of a water reserve to last a good day (only using water when absoluty needed) with that pressure tank instead of having a small tank where I would need to fire up the generator.

I just think that if the amount of water is even half of what your well pump is capable of putting out, that there is major money to be saved and keeps that $$$ right into your pocket at the end of the day

JKB #358265 11/26/13 07:38 AM
H
H
Originally Posted By: JKB
Cecil, what kind of flow do you need for your cold water rig?

With the numbers you posted, and not really getting into details, you should be able to find a decent combo that will fill your needs and save you a few bucks in electricity.

The Yaskawa P7 is a pretty decent rig. Their newer offering is the P1000, and that has a bit of green stuff.

What Yaskawa did is marketed to the single to three phase agricultural world and you may see more of this brand in these applications. They also private label to other companies, so like the H2O Drive is actually a Yaskawa P7 wearing a different dress.

Saftronics was eaten by Emerson a while back and they stuck a few parts into the acquired Control Techniques rig's, which are the UniDrive's. They are on the eek side.

Yaskawa is quite over priced for what you actually get tho.

For a well or aeration system that you set up to be stand alone, I would suggest the ABB ACS310 rig. You can remote tho.

If you want to sit in your house on a crappy day and have full control and monitor from your puter, without any more cost than networking, I would go with the PowerFlex 525.
I'm liking that Powerflex 525 rig, how long have those been out now? Ahhhh to sit in a chair and run my pumps is all I need for my ever expanding waistline........do they have an iPhone app for that thing? How much is their pressure sensor for this system? Thats the one thing I really hate about Yaskawa is the pressure sensor is $400 and thats just ridiculous

Actually Emerson surprised me on our old Saftronics VFD, I was getting a weird error code I wasn't finding in any manuals or online so I called their tech .......what an awesome experience in todays world and they found my problem after about 20 minutes on the phone. Super friendly and actually called back later to see if they had diagnosed the problem correctly. Not bad for a product we bought in 99

H
H
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Isn't the constant on and off of the well pump hard on it? Or are they designed for that?
We have a Grundfos system on our domestic water system and it is in constant on and off. We live on hill that climbs 400' of elevation in about 1/4 mile and our domestic water needs booster pumps to push that hill and even then it seems they're out there 2 times a year servicing and replacing parts so we just store our domestic in a 2K gallon tank with a Grundfos in the bottom supplying 2 homes on the ranch. We replaced one pump and one controller in 15 years. Every time a shower, toilet, faucet, hydrant pool auto fills, fountains from two different homes is used that Grundfos system is ramping on and off.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Huskerduck
I'm liking that Powerflex 525 rig, how long have those been out now? Ahhhh to sit in a chair and run my pumps is all I need for my ever expanding waistline........do they have an iPhone app for that thing? How much is their pressure sensor for this system? Thats the one thing I really hate about Yaskawa is the pressure sensor is $400 and thats just ridiculous

The PF525 came out earlier this year, maybe around June. The PF523 hit the streets this month. Less features and the price difference isn't worth trying to save a few buck , at least for me. The EtherNet/IP on the 525 is well worth having, plus the additional I/O and much advanced features. The PF527 is due out sometime next spring. Don't know much about them, so have to wait and see what it's all about.

I doubt you will ever see an app for this. It's not a general consumer grade product. If you want an app, buy something from China wink

I can turn on my TV and have full control of everything, but you need a fancy gizmo or two to do this.

This is way too complex to explain on a forum.

-------------------
Pressure Sensors!!

Are they switches or transducers?

As far as I know, Yaskawa is not in the transducer market, but they have switches. Is it a Yaskawa rep that's soaking ya? They tend to have very small reps, which jacks the price up quite a bit.

A-B might be about 250.00 for an analog transducer, without a display. Ashcroft, pretty close. IFM Efector (list price) about 199.00 (really good stuff). I might try a ProSense from Automation Direct. They are ceramic element. 125 bucks, then you need an M12 cable. Made in Germany and have a 3 year warranty. Probably will try one, but I have Ashcroft and IFM's, which are quite reliable.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 12:31 PM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by jludwig - 05/02/24 12:24 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 12:02 PM
1/4 acre pond digging it Monday
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 12:00 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by ewest - 05/02/24 10:25 AM
How much feed?
by ewest - 05/02/24 10:20 AM
Northern Midwesterner thinking of Tilapia
by esshup - 05/02/24 09:20 AM
Iris vs Pickerel