Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,168
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
12 members (bmo, homewardbound, Bigtrh24, 4CornersPuddle, catscratch, Boondoggle, John Fitzgerald, Ibanez540r, FishinRod, Sunil, Angler8689, J. R.), 1,173 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
I did a search but did find any info. What are the guidelines for HSB stocking? I am planning on CNBG, RES and LMB in 1 ac pond. Was thinking abou HSB as a kicker fish is this a possibility or is it not big enough

F
F
They will need to know what size of predators, if any, that you have in order to give you accurate info.

Or, what size LMB will you be stocking and when?

J
OP Offline
J
Pond is under renovations now so no fish in now. Plan on stocking fingerlings

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Maximum size is greatly limited for HSB in smaller BOW's, especially in hot Texas heat. If the pond is aerated, you can expect to grow larger HSB. HSB are very sensitive to low DO and warmer water temps. Expect mortality to be high on fish above 4 pounds and especially 6 pounds+. Especially if the pond is not aerated.

Limit angling pressure directed as HSB during the warmer months to prevent undue fish loss during catch and release of HSB. Even large BOW's experience this with HSB, smaller ones like yours simply warm faster and get hotter than a larger BOW.

I am sure George will weigh in as he probably has more experience in growing nice HSB in smaller Texas ponds than any other forum member.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: justin_terry
I did a search but did find any info. What are the guidelines for HSB stocking? I am planning on CNBG, RES and LMB in 1 ac pond. Was thinking abou HSB as a kicker fish is this a possibility or is it not big enough

Hi Justin, I love small ponds but they do present a problem with record Texas heat and drought conditions. CJ has pretty well covered the major issues about HSB but omitted the major issue of water quality in your area of the Piney Woods area – acidic water!

Talk to Todd Overton with Overton Fisheries, right up I45 in Buffalo Texas.
He has more knowledge of HSB than any fisheries biologist in this part of the country and will recommend testing your water – HSB require higher hardness and alkalinity than the other species you mentioned.

“I am planning on CNBG, RES and LMB in 1 ac pond.”

My buddy Al (FIREisHOT) and I made a field trip yesterday checking our ponds in N.E. Texas and discussed this very subject. We drove about a couple of hundred miles and probably saw 100+ stock ponds, none of which appeared to be managed.
Cattle ranchers have ponds for cows and city guys have them for tax-exempt status and stock the popular BG, RES, LMB and CC, recommended by the local feed store off a Arkansas fish truck. They are forgotten about until they go dry from our Texas droughts or for the grandkids to catch some “brim” or catfish.

So, you will be asked to state your goals – some of us are avid fishermen and ponds are a means to an end, but my son has them for livestock, so they serve a dual purpose.
Some folks like to sit on the patio and say “aint that pretty”, so goals are important.

I don’t give advice but will share some 12 years small pond experience – I don’t comment about anything on the PB forum that I have not had personal experience.

OK, I love small ponds and have been successful managing them after spending a lot of money making lots of mistakes, stocking the conventional recommendation of CNBG, RES, LMB.
Knowing what I know now, I would avoid stocking LMB and CC like the plague unless one ONE or more SAME SEX LMB, which is high risk ID – I would never again stock CC.

If my pond, which it is not, I would go strictly with a CNBG and HSB in a 1 acre pond with ONE Camelot Florida LMB in the second year, followed by ONE Blue Catfish if needed in SECOND or THIRD year to control over population of CNBG.

BUT – therein lies a problem – you are in the East Texas Piney Woods with acidic water – HSB don’t like acidic water – again, talk to Todd Overton with Overton Fisheries - he will check your water and if acidic recommend liming your pond – he is THE expert on HSB in our part of the country.
HSB are my favorite sport fish for Texas farm ponds and gone from can’t do to can do with some 12 years experience – lots of HSB info in archives.

Next most important question you will be asked – how ‘bout your water supply?
You get more rain in your area than most of us in Texas but have had a severe drought that likely will get worse – do you have a well? That makes a lot of difference in the next question.

Aeration?
Dependent on predictable water supply – do you have a well or rainfall with large enough drainage area?
Check out surface aerator if aeration needed – it has worked well for me and would have saved me from losing a lot of expensive fish due to drought related biomass if I had known about it earlier – very likely few or any recommendations from forum members because I have found most PB vendors selling bottom diffuser systems.

Pardon my rambling, but I have achieved most if not all my objectives in managing small Texas farm ponds. Good luck on your program and pardon my ramblings.
George Glazener

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by John Fitzgerald - 05/02/24 10:07 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 09:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use