Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,995
Posts558,323
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
7 members (JoshMI, Bigtrh24, cgmbny, canyoncreek, bmo, Brian from Texas, Sunil), 991 guests, and 170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#349453 09/01/13 11:32 PM
K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Around May 15, this year I stocked a new pond (will be approximately 1.2 acres when full, 26 ft deep,,, now it lacks about 8 feet to be completely full) with the following....

600 1-3in. HBG
1000 1-3in. CNBG
40 lbs. FHM
300 1-3 in. RES
300 2-3 in. LMB
300 2-3 in. BCP

My interests is mainly to have fun fishing with my family
and have some good table fare with the bass, crappie, and hybrid perch.

Any comments or questions about my choices are welcome. We live in Southeastern Oklahoma. We have two other ponds that we have built
(about 1995 and 1998) that have CC, LMB, and BCP. They are in deep woods on the side of a hill and slightly less than an acre each and from 25 to 30 feet deep.

The pond that we built last Fall also provides a good view from our house. I use an old pontoon boat for a floating dock and have brush piles, large tree trunks, a large bois d'arc stump with 8 ft. roots, and pvc fish attractors for cover.

I look forward to good information and just chatting with other members...

Last edited by KbarL; 09/02/13 12:44 PM.
F
F
Originally Posted By: KbarL
with the bass, crappie, and hybrid perch.

I assume this is just a typo, but if not - what is hybrid perch?

I know it is always a heavily talked about subject when folks want crappie in a pond. Most are not in favor of it for a regular small pond. However, I see that you have them in some older ponds of yours. Myself (and probably others) would love to hear about those, like the condition of the fish and how you are managing them. Possibly as a different thread if you don't want this thread to stray off topic of your new pond.

Welcome to the forum.

J
J
Welcome to Pond Boss. We also used an old pontoon boat for floating dock. Here on the forum, we like pictures so feel free to add some pictures too!

K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hybrid perch is a colloquialism...That is how most people I know refer to the HBG...

The ponds are not fished as regularly as they should be. But when crappie are caught, they are healthy but, there seems to be quite a few of smaller ones. Probably due to over-population.

Health issues and Father Time have slowed down my fishing a lot. Hopefully the new pond will offer more opportunities.

Hope that answers your questions. Thanks for the welcome

Last edited by KbarL; 09/02/13 10:48 AM.
K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I put a Google photo in the Image Gallery of all four of our ponds...I don't know how to put an image in this thread yet.

Thanks for the welcome.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In regards to the LMB/Panfish fishery, are you expecting large panfish (say BG 9"-10") and smaller LMB (around 12"-14") or do you want larger LMB?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'm more interested in pan fare than large trophy bass.
As thrilling as pulling in hogs are, I'd rather have a stringer of good eating size bass...Maybe I'm crazy, but it's my thing. ha....

Plus I like the variety of hybrids, crappie, and bass for
table fare...

Last edited by KbarL; 09/02/13 10:57 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good. The reason why I asked is that the stocking ratio for Northern Bluegills or CNBG to LMB is 10 to 30 to 1. Less than that tends to lead towards a LMB stunted pond. It takes that route even quicker when there are other predators in the pond that don't allow the BG/CNBG to grow up from fingerling size.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I plan on feeding also....will get an automatic feeder set up this next week, hopefully. I may be early on this because the pellets present a challenge for the perch? to swallow...the bass are up around 6-8 inches already and the perch are 3 to 5 inches, depending on which variety....

The older ponds were stocked with CC and they are up in the over 15 lb weight now....Too big to really enjoy eating because of the overly fishy taste for this old Okie.

I fed them for 3 years or so when they were young, but have since let nature take care of itself in ponds #1 and #2.....
I have been really negligent as far as taking care of the ponds because of aforementioned reasons, but have had a quadruple bypass and am in much better spirits and health and this last pond was
sort of an unfulfilled wish of mine...It is more convenient and I can enjoy it from my front porch...

K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I probably have more of everything than I stated and paid for because I was the last customer to get fish that day......

The driver of the truck emptied the tanks on the delivery truck after he had measured mine out and let me have them. He let me have them because the yardmen would have to flush the tanks after he returned to the hatchery and this helped them out for him to clear them of fish....

I purchased from Dunn's Fish Farm because they are just about 25 miles from here.

Last edited by KbarL; 09/02/13 11:32 AM.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Just make sure you remove every single crappie you catch no matter the size. They will be a real challenge to keep from stunting, but if you can catch large numbers of them, hopefully the bass will grow fast and help keep their numbers thinned out. With steep banks like it sounds like you have, there may be limited spawning areas for your fish, which may help to keep their numbers down as well.

K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Good advice...thanks.

There are steep banks on 3 sides, however if and when we get enough rain to fill completely, the west side will be a gentle slope that will be conducive to spawn areas.

Here is a picture of first day of construction and following.
(Hope this works)

Let's Build a Pond

=137324806&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0]Empty--Before Rain

Launching pontoon/dock

Pontoon/Dock

Need more Rain

Last edited by KbarL; 09/03/13 02:28 PM.
K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Here is an overview of K-L and a Google shot taken just before completion....

K-L is marked by the red line on the North, West, and South
and on the East by the Highway...

=137324806&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0]Overview of K-L

=137324806&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1]Near completion

Last edited by KbarL; 09/03/13 04:35 PM.
Wait, did you say you wanted to focus on big BG or big bass or balanced? It's not really clear to me what you want -- when you say you want to eat LMB, what size do you want to be eating?

K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hey Bocomo, Sorry if I did not make that clear...

What I am saying is I don't want to focus on any one particular type of fish....My main interest is in having a variety of fish to eat.

I know I have overstocked on crappie and need to catch and thin them out.

Personally, I fish to eat, and like crappie, hybrid bluegills, and bass...The size I like best in LMB is around 1 1/2 to 2 pounds.

I have plenty of CC in the other two ponds, but mostly all that you catch out of them are in the 8 pounds and up category. Fun to catch, but not the tastiest in my opinion.

Both of those ponds are in deep woods and at my age is hard for me to get around on the banks. We built the new pond because it is convenient to our house, adds to the view, and it is easier to navigate the banks (although, I like to sit on a dock now, too old to
walk the banks).

Does that make sense? Hope that helps to clear that up. If you have any suggestions to help me achieve my goals feel free to offer them up, or ask more questions if I don't make myself clear. I certainly don't have all the answers.

F
F
Who needs to walk the banks when you have a great pontoon boat like that!!! smile smile

K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks fish n chips....I do have floating docks on each of the 2 older ponds and you pretty well have to limit fishing to them because of the thick willows and other tree growth at water's edge...
Hopefully we won't have that so bad with the new pond.

I got that pontoon boat for less than I'd have to pay to have a dock made. Plus the fact that it can be moved by a tow rope or if I could figure out a way to mount a trolling motor to it, I could take Mom for a 150 foot circular Sunday afternoon pontoon trip....ha

Does anyone know or have any ideas about mounting a trolling motor to a pontoon boat? The transom mount is about a foot below deck level, and is behind a 30 in. tall fixed railing, so you would need a very, very long shaft on the motor.... or rig up some type extention that would allow you to work the throttle and steering also.....

I would greatly appreciate any help in that area...Thanks, Leon(K-L)

K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I ordered a directional fish feeder kit from Moultrie and put it on a 5 gallon plastic bucket. It works really well...and a lot cheaper than buying one complete....

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Thanks fish n chips....I do have floating docks on each of the 2 older ponds and you pretty well have to limit fishing to them because of the thick willows and other tree growth at water's edge...
Hopefully we won't have that so bad with the new pond.

I got that pontoon boat for less than I'd have to pay to have a dock made. Plus the fact that it can be moved by a tow rope or if I could figure out a way to mount a trolling motor to it, I could take Mom for a 150 foot circular Sunday afternoon pontoon trip....ha

[b]Does anyone know or have any ideas about mounting a trolling motor to a pontoon boat?[/b] The transom mount is about a foot below deck level, and is behind a 30 in. tall fixed railing, so you would need a very, very long shaft on the motor.... or rig up some type extention that would allow you to work the throttle and steering also.....

I would greatly appreciate any help in that area...Thanks, Leon(K-L)

Simple inexpensive "Jack Plate"...
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Foot controlled trolling motor like normally mounted on the front of a bass boat. You might need to remove it from the normal mounting bracket, or buy one with a simple transom bracket.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Sure (slaps self on forehead)...a foot control...had one on my old
bass boat several years back.....Thanks, Bing.

You get old...and forget to move out of your little box
to do your thinking.....ha

Last edited by KbarL; 09/05/13 12:26 PM.
Hey Bocomo, Sorry if I did not make that clear...

What I am saying is I don't want to focus on any one particular type of fish....My main interest is in having a variety of fish to eat.

I know I have overstocked on crappie and need to catch and thin them out.

Personally, I fish to eat, and like crappie, hybrid bluegills, and bass...The size I like best in LMB is around 1 1/2 to 2 pounds.

I have plenty of CC in the other two ponds, but mostly all that you catch out of them are in the 8 pounds and up category. Fun to catch, but not the tastiest in my opinion.

Both of those ponds are in deep woods and at my age is hard for me to get around on the banks. We built the new pond because it is convenient to our house, adds to the view, and it is easier to navigate the banks (although, I like to sit on a dock now, too old to
walk the banks).

Does that make sense? Hope that helps to clear that up. If you have any suggestions to help me achieve my goals feel free to offer them up, or ask more questions if I don't make myself clear. I certainly don't have all the answers.

It sounds like you'd like a balanced pond. I imagine it would be hard to routinely catch fish of eating size of all species with any other strategy.

I think this is going to be an ongoing challenge for you with the crappie present. You are going to have to actively manage them or they will stunt your whole pond. They spawn unpredictably, sometimes in massive numbers. Fish for them heavily, net them, trap them, do whatever you can to keep them in check.

K
KbarL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I appreciate your advice and yes it will be an ongoing battle....

Wish I had done more research before stocking that many crappie and wish I had known of this site beforehand, but that is how most of my lessons are learned,,,,,,in the school of hard knocks....

Thanks...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
8ball3290, BradVV, patcinkc, Teg
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 05/08/24 09:56 AM
Finalizing Plans for Floating Dock and Ramp
by cgmbny - 05/08/24 08:52 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023