Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dave Davidson1, JasonInOhio, KenHorton, Theo Gallus), 1,026 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28920 01/13/06 02:53 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I live on a 210 acre lake and am considering a feeder for simply attracting and growing fish. In my searching, I found the OnTime feeders (www.ontimefeeders-dot-com), but see almost no mention of them in this forum. They claim to be a 10+ year company, and offer a "lifetime" warranty on the complete unit.

Has anyone used these? Have any opinions to share - good or bad? Suggestions?

I am aware of the Sweeney and Stren models, but would like to keep my expenses low. Wasting time and money, however, is not on my list of things to do.

Thanks!

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
JMHO
Sweeney..........PERIOD!

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Mosquitobug

I have one and it is better than the average spin feeder, but still way short of the good directional feeders you mentioned above. In a 210 acre lake that is presumably open to other fishing, the cheaper spin feeder is probably the right choice. IMHO, you will be able to attract fish to your location, but will not make appreciable difference to overall fish weights with one feeder on 210 acres of water.

F
faw Offline
F
I have used an On Time feeder for about 2 years now. It is OK for my use but only after several modifications. Mine has a digital timer having capability of up to four feedings per 24 hour period; 1-30 seconds duration. My timer seems to lose about one minute each day. This is not a problem to me though. It operates on 10 AA alkaline batteries which normally run for about 3-4 months on my settings. The modifications I performed on my feeder are as follows:
1. Spin plate discharge radius too short - I removed the plate, beat it flat with a hammer. I then brazed on three fins (like a fertilizer spreader). Now it will really sling those pellets. Radius now about 25 feet in a semi-circle pattern.
2. Add motor disconnect switch - Unit has no provision to disable the motor without opening the case. I wanted to be able disarm the motor but keep the timer working. I got a simple toggle switch from Radio Shack, drilled an appropriate hole in the bottom plate for the switch and connected it to the motor wire. Now I can disconnect the motor from discharging but have the timer continue. Also a safety device. It is no fun having the motor sling feed in your face while you tinker with it.
3. Eliminate racoon access to fish feed resting on the spinner plate. - I had to do two things:(a)mount the feeder on a swing arm hinge system and (b)shroud the motor and spin plate. My feeder is mounted on a 2" steel pipe affixed to the dock with bolts and lag screws. To the pipe I have a swing arm (18" - 20") hinge system welded to the pipe. I can swing the drum over the water to feed. I can swing it back over to dock to service. Real simple. Also keeps coons from reaching from dock to the spin plate. Secondly, I cut the bottom from a 5 gallon plastic bucket, cut the bucket in half (length-wise), then cut the portion above the handle mounting support ring off. Using sheet metal screws, I then mounted this "half bucket" to the bottom of the 30 gallon plastic drum effectively shrouding the motor and spin plate from coon access. This has eliminated my coon problems so far. They can't reach it from the dock because of the swing-arm length and bucket shroud blocking access; if they climb on the drum, the plastic is too slick to climb down. I am not recommending the On Time; only what I have had to do to make mine effective. It cost about $185 new. I have the capability to do all the modification work myself. If you had to pay someone to do it for you, that cost would actually have to be added to the cost of the feeder. I'm sure the Strens and Sweenys are probably better but for more money. Long post but hope it might help you in some way regarding your decision.

F.A. Walker
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I used to sell a feeder similiar to One-Time worst business move I ever made. I had more calls about them braking down and then having to repair or them getting mad at me, and it only cost $115. You get what you pay for. Since I started selling Aquapro (used to be Stren) four years ago I hear few complaints and the company stands behind warranty for 4 yrs if they do have problem. Over time I think much beter financially and much less of a headache. If you like tinkeiring like FAW then go for it, I do not.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Ditto, Greg!

It's ALL about the fish!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Mosquitobug,
I just bought the Aquapro Fat Cat, with the 200 pound floating feed capacity from cabelas.com. I can let you know my impressions etc., if you wish?. I should receive it next week.

--Kevin Mc
It's not about the stomach. It's about the fish. Take care of the fish and the stomach will be fine.
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I also would like an opinion Mac. I currently run 26 Sweeney scatters and 4 directionals various capacities. Saw one in Buda and looked good. Assume for cabelas to price it there it must be good! Keep us posted, If it rains I have 8-9a awaiting fillup.(Sure hope I need feeders soon )

I must say though: The last Sweeney I purchased,"MODEL - AF1A100GM-LD
AUGER BASED SYSTEM has performed FLAWLESSLY for a year! A couple of the older models must be cleaned after a rain or even a heavy mist. Has NOT been a problem of late.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Big Mac, why buy from Cabelas? I buy from them all the time but if I can get a product local I do. There are several folks on this board that sell the Aquapro line and I know I will be here if you have problem. I think we can match price if not beat it. I have 6 fat cats down stairs right now. Just trying to understand? thanks for input.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Keep in mind another important thing. A feeder is a machine. Machines break. If customer service is important to you, don't be afraid to pay a little more for a feeder, straight from a manufacturer or a dealer who stands behind and repairs the products.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
M
OP Offline
M
I appreciate all the replies! \:D

I am still keeping all options open, as I have not made a decision. I agree with Meadowlark --

Quote:
Originally posted by Meadowlark:

In a 210 acre lake that is presumably open to other fishing, the cheaper spin feeder is probably the right choice. IMHO, you will be able to attract fish to your location, but will not make appreciable difference to overall fish weights with one feeder on 210 acres of water. [/QB]
The lake is open to other fishing, and I do agree that "growing" the fish may be close to impossible. Bringing them in closer would be great. I dont mind tinkering, but I do mind wasting effort. As budget is a huge concern, I may still go with a cheaper spin feeder, or possibly just build one ...

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and opinions!

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Skeeterbug (Mosquiotobug),
Cabela's web site didn't tell me this, but I got a follow-up email from them. They now say I have 3 to 5 weeks, until delivery.

Greg Grimes, nothing personal. I looked at web sites and went to two places in Houston, which didn't carry them in their stores, but had them on their web sites. On the web sites, Cabela's currently had the lowest overall price, for delivery to where I live including the unit, with the solar gear, shipping, and no state sales tax, which was $499.00, plus $13.75 shipping. Not sure how they are getting around the Texas State Sales Tax, since they have locations in Texas. I hope I don't get surprised.

I may have been a bit hasty, but am trying to get the feeder in the weekend, before I add CCs on February 18th. Since they are now saying 3 to 5 weeks, I will be glad to entertain other ideas to be sure I get the unit, by Feb. 11th.

No offense meant and will keep y'all in mind for other purchases.

--Kevin Mc
It's not about the stomach. It's about the fish. Take care of the fish and the stomach will be fine.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Mosquito & Big Mac--
Have to agree with Greg. What ever you do don't skimp on the feeder. Give either the Stren or ours(Sweeney) a chance. MOsquito, I think you will regret trying to make one yourself unless you at the very minimum get a reliable scatter feeder to start your project with. Either way go through Greg because right now he can sell it to you cheaper than we can direct.

Ahvatsa--Thanks for the kind remarks and let me know if you need anything.

Billy Klemstein
Outside Sales
Sweeney Feeders
800-443-4244

Billy Klemstein

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!