Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,015
Posts558,541
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
4 members (Boondoggle, Theo Gallus, catscratch, Sunil), 536 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Anyone have experience with this system? They have a model that fits my needed specs. Surface area only 2640(small) average depth around 9 ft, volume 140,000 gallons.

EVERY DAY IS A HOLIDAY,EVERY MEAL IS A FEAST AND LIFE GETS SWEETER AND SWEETER
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
They were one of the first pond/lake aerators on the market. I learned a lot from these units and their good information and aeration philosophy. The unit works. It does mix water and the diffuser is low maintenance; overall acceptable. However after using a couple of them in my "aeration early days", IMO the unit has drawbacks for at least two reasons, plus I now consider it dated technology. The unit was good in the early days of pond aeration when little else was available. 1. The diffuser relies of the vertical tube affect which results in I think lower flows since the bubble plume is contained in a tube for its initial bubble release. I used the various versions tube style diffusers, in the 1980's. In my experience the tube results in reduced flow compared to if the diffuser was 6"-7" dia or more and as a full membrane plate/s. My experience is a larger diameter membrane would be much better and produce more ultimate water flow. 2. the "bubble maker" is too small thus resulting in larger bubbles and fewer bubbles. If you buy it check to see what type of compressor it is and how much air flow (cfm) it produces. Early compressor models had low air flows. Ideally you want 3-5cfm.

The shallower the pond is the more you need to spread the diffuser out to a larger area and not contain the bubble plume in a tube. Tubes might be better in deeper applications than shallow applications. In your small pond (140K gal) you can use a compressor that produces 1 to 3cfm if you have a good small bubble diffuser.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/21/13 01:45 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Bill I will check again but I thinks they use a different dffuser now...more like vertex. One thing I like is I can put in on the deck with no encloser needed. My deck runs right down to the pond and could tun tubing under the deck straight into pond. I will check the diffuser again. Thanks for the info. I think I am finally getting the hang of things. Oh and the price is really good. Checked and they use an airBASE round membrane diffuser.

Last edited by miss nancy; 08/21/13 02:16 PM.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
These are the ones I had mentioned in the past for my quater acre pond average 6 to 9 foot deep. Are these the ones you are looking at miss nancy? I liked that they were made in USA.
http://www.aerationsupply.com/catalog/su...ular-ponds.html

Last edited by Jwwann; 08/21/13 03:59 PM.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Yes they are only I have a round pond. Looks like a fair price, weather proof, and technically fits my needs. They say they are quiet so I can put on my deck which runs in levels to the pond. I am going to do some more research before I purchase, but looks good for me. My pond has a small surface area but is 16 ft in the middle. It is like a backyard fishing pond. Maybe we should just eat beans and go swimming:}

Last edited by miss nancy; 08/21/13 05:23 PM.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Your average depth may be 9 ft but look at the specs on those compressors for max depth. If you place at the suggested max of 7-9 ft that leaves you with a 7-9 ft nutrient sink in that 16 ft middle. Linear might not be the best choice for your situation.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Yes - do your homework don't rely on a sales pitch for your decision. Have you actually taken a rope and brick and measured the depth??. Actual depth of 16ft sounds too deep for such a small volume pond? Do the measurement to verify true depth; you might be surprised.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/22/13 07:57 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
My pond is like a crater and the deepest part is 16 ft. We had some rain about a week ago and the deepest part is still holding water. Off coarse there is a shallower end which is seperated by a steep sloping inlet. I am learning to enjoy the journey...I am a person liking instant gratification...learning to enjoy the steps. I really need to decide on an aeration system soon but still haven't put in structure.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
P.M. sent

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: miss nancy
My pond is like a crater and the deepest part is 16 ft.

With the numbers that you sent me, I second Bills suggestion on measuring the depth of the pond. Can you walk down the sides of the pond without sliding down? For every 1.8' that you travel horizontally, you should be dropping 1' in elevation. (58' diameter and 16' deep)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
My pond has a diameter 58ft and 16ft at center. I'll be sliding. some places too steep to slide.I need to start filling. I know what aeration system I will use. It will be housed in my shop about 60ft from pond. It is a backyard landscape,fishing and sitting on the deck having a beer pond. I figure 3 years before I can do much fishing. Got a two year warranty on any leaks. I called our state guys and they were supposed to come out but didn't, so, it is what it is and I will try hard to make it a great spot again. Thanks to everyone helping me. I have learned much and know less:)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You do know you can add the diffuser after it's filled right? I do it all the time in the ponds I fill and drain on an annual basis. My diffusers are mounted to garbage can lids with a nylon rope attached to the opposite end of where the air line comes in. I pull the assembly in slowly from the other side from shore until the air is coming up where I want it.

This works especially well in steep sided ponds where the diffuser can flip over.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/26/13 07:26 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks for the tip. I am filling now.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Blazzzy, jkrueger
Recent Posts
Trapping the Crays