Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver
18,525 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,006
Posts558,427
Members18,525
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,597
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
3 members (jim100, Lina, Dave Davidson1), 873 guests, and 154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
I've made the decision to supplement my pond water level in the summer/early fall. There has been a lot discussed re: well depth, well GPM minimum based on size of pond, etc. but not much about the best way to discharge the well water into the pond.

Some background: I have an aeration system (two diffusers) in my .4 acre pond that has been running for the past four years (typically 8 hrs a day but I stop aeration around Thanksgiving and then start it back up in early spring). I have YP, LMB, and HBG stocked in the pond with a couple gallons of FH minnows every year for forage. My pond is located in Northern MI and has a depth of 14 ft at full pool. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood) with any fish kills.

I know there is concern over discharging the well water directly into the pond (lack of oxygen, too cold of temperature, mineral rich, etc.). Right now, it looks like the new pond well would be around 150 ft deep, 5 inch well, with a 1 1/2 hp pump capable of 25 - 30 GPM. Current plan is to discharge the well water into the pond with about 4 - 5 ft drop and only do this periodically to bring the pond back up to full pool. Appreciate any feedback/sugestions on this...

Thanks!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
A drop into the pond is really all you need.

With a .4 acre pond I don't see much of a drastic temp change, especially in the summer when temps are the highest, and you're most likely to have evaporation issues -- especially with those flow rates.

If you could splash it onto some rocks or something that would be optimum though.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/14/13 09:58 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
An update with happy fish... the new well is working great and the pond is back up to full pool. Also put in 110 for future installation of Bo-Jo fishing light/fish feeder. Water was at 170 ft.

Attached Images
image.jpg
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Glad to hear it! Just curious though, did you have to get a permit from the DEQ or is their a higher flow where one is required, as is the case down here in Indiana?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
Had to get permit (normal well permit) but it gets more involved if you go over 70+ GPM. According to my well guy, mine is running ~40 GPM with 1 1/2 hp pump. I currently have the outflow pipe splashing over the rocks about 2 ft from the edge of the pond and have left my aeration at normal times. No issues with the fish... they have more area to work for stray grasshoppers and other insects that find their way to the surface of the pond.

The water is very clear, pond is looking great!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No surprise you needed a permit for under 70 gpm. I've heard water is quite regulated in Michigan from fish farmers up there. At least I don't have to have a permit here. I'm sure the day will come though.

Nice pond!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/08/13 11:33 AM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Cool ThunderBay! Wet fish are happy fish! Especially with a full pool!

Cecil, no MDEQ permit required. Permitting falls on the County and some do not require a permit.

Drilled wells need to be installed by a licensed/registered well driller and follow MI well construction law. The particulars of the well will be registered/recorded with the State. Water will need to be tested by the health dept. even for an irrigation well. Well driller handles all this stuff. You pay them to do this.

You need to report your water use on a yearly basis if you are pumping 70+ GPM for 30 consecutive days. They tried to slap a 100.00 processing fee for this but you can submit thru the USDA for free.

Another tickle my wallet thing is, you may have to install a totalizing flow meter with data logging capability on the higher flow wells. Pretty sure it's so they have more accurate data, but one of these gizmos will set ya back a bit. Start thinking like 4K and up!

The mag sensor I plan on using is from IFM Efector, and is under a grand, but that's only the sensor. I have the rest of the BS tho.

A stand alone rig from Rosemount Analytical will twerk your wallet at an opening bid of about 2200 bucks for hardware alone for lower flows and goes up!

Too much info?... Yeah, but it is real life!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
No surprise you needed a permit for under 70 gpm. I've heard water is quite regulated in Michigan from fish farmers up there. At least I don't have to have a permit here. I'm sure the day will come though.

Nice pond!

Water isn't regulated like you think, which would indicate rationing use, but the higher flow wells are somewhat monitored because some scientist or gub affiliate seems to think they need this info to live a meaningful life.

Permits are local if you need one, and only apply to drilled wells. You can drive one in without a gripe, but depends on county.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Good to hear Phil. The way the fish farmers talk up there the MDEQ is like the gestapo. I guess that's because they use high capacity wells.

S
S
I used a trash filter turned around backward on my discharge pipe. It works like a sprayer and really aerates the well water.

T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
Looks like my picture of the pond didn't come out very well, so let's try this again.

The first picture is from the deck of our cabin overlooking the pond at full pool (thanks to the new well). The second picture is what ~40GPM looks like going into the pond (splashing on the rocks about 2 feet from the edge of the pond) from the new well. I haven't figured out what do long term yet with the discharge outflow pipe. Open to ideas???

Attached Images
Pond at Full Pool.JPG Well Water Discharge.JPG

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
FOOTCUSH, MikeyBoy, rick fisherman
Recent Posts
curly leaf infestation
by jim100 - 05/12/24 06:25 AM
BG sex?
by esshup - 05/11/24 11:56 PM
Frustrated
by Boondoggle - 05/11/24 11:40 PM