Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis
18,530 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,013
Posts558,516
Members18,530
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,159
Who's Online Now
8 members (FishinRod, Theo Gallus, Angler8689, Sunil, Bill Cody, Theeck, Bigtrh24, Augie), 1,207 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#344625 07/21/13 03:46 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I am in the process of starting up a pond service company and will need a reliable DO meter. I have looked at the Hana HI9147 and the Sper-Scientific, which are both available under $400. I really don't want to have to step up to a YSI at twice the cost if I don't have to. Any opinions?

And yes, in my area of Northern California, knowing the DO for each pond is critical, especially for monitoring the effectiveness of the aeration systems I hope to be installing quit a few of. Lack of oxygen is the number one problem in our ponds out here.

Thanks.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I would go with the Hanna rig.

I don't think you would be stepping up to a YSI from a Hanna. Only in price!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I respectfully disagree. There is nothing like the durabilty and reliability of a YSI. It will more than make up for it's extra cost by it's longevity and durability. I have a YSI 550A. Still going strong and I think I bought it at least 10 years ago -- may 15.

Ask Scott (Esshup) what he thinks of it. He's using it at the present time.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
As CB1 testifies - You may have to buy two of the other brands for the life span of a YSI especially since you are using it in a commercial professional capacity.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I got my Extech in 98 or 99, and it still works fine. Probably have to replace the battery as I haven't turned it on in well over a year, and it was low then.

I wouldn't waste the extra money on a YSI. Hanna is a much larger company and more diversified in their offerings and has a larger global market share than YSI. They can be more competitive, because they cater to a wider consumer base. Same as Extech.

All good products from each.

If you wanna crank it up a notch, go with Mettler Toledo or Hach!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
As CB1 testifies - You may have to buy two of the other brands for the life span of a YSI especially since you are using it in a commercial professional capacity.

I don't know about that Bill.

I see a bit of Harley Davidson, Snap-On stuff going on with these types of things.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Buy the Hanna unit and keep us advised about your experiences.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
YSI is actually a xylem brand now. They got scooped up.

Xylem is buying up a lot of companies. I'll bet they were the ones who scooped up that one well pump co. that vanished one day.

Last edited by JKB; 07/28/13 08:52 AM.
JKB #345379 07/28/13 12:39 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
One thing that you have to ask them is how long does it take for the meter to settle down once it's turned on? Also, how long do the membranes last, and what do the new ones cost?

The YSI550 is reliable, but it takes 15-20 minutes from when it's first turned on to settle down and be ready to take readings.

Now, YSI makes optical DO meters, that are ready to read as soon as they are turned on.

Another member Charlie B. bought a different DO meter. When he tested it side by side with a YSI that he rented, he found that his meter wasn't as accurate as he thought.....

No matter what meter you go with, I'd go with a longer probe than 12'. If you run into ponds that are aerated and are deeper than 12', you will want to measure the O2 level at the boottom...........

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #345404 07/28/13 10:27 AM
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
15-20 minutes seems like a long time.

I was reading the manual (among others) this morning, and calibration should take 5-15 minutes, depending on the age and condition of the rig.

My Extech calibrates in a few minutes, and is ready for operation within a few seconds after power up. They both have the same type of sensor. Mine only has a 5' cable, which serves OK for tanks and I see they do have a 13' available. (won't get it tho) The auto power off is 10 minutes, so I would be screwed if it took that long. Battery is dead right now.

IIRC, the signals are in micro or nano volts, so cable length may play a role.

Going from memory again (can't find the English version of the manual right now), but my MT 4100e DO Controller (panel/surface mount rig) could take up to 5 minutes to stabilize upon power up, but they operate continuously for process control. I think it did mention something about cable length tho. The cables I have are 5 meters. I still need to get the panel mount kit. That's a nickle & dime ya to death option!

That Italian rig I gave you will also operate continuously without frying the sensor.

JKB #345411 07/28/13 11:45 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Calibration is no big deal, but waiting for the numbers to stop counting down does take a while, then you have to calibrate it.

Highflyer has the optical one, and he can start taking measurements as soon as it powers up - virtually no waiting. I think they are about half again as expensive as the membrane units tho....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #345414 07/28/13 12:24 PM
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
The optical are like 1 calibration per year, where as other sensors may have many, due to various reasons. Optical sensors can be a bit pricy, but that will eventually drop.

My Extech cranks right up, and so will a Hanna, no waiting.

The up to 5 minutes with the MT rig is for calibration, but it should go bang after it boot's.

Don't know what's going on with the YSI rig tho? Should fire right up!

IIRC, Cecil sent it back to the factory to get repaired for some reason. Don't know the whole scoop on that tho.

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you everyone for the input.

I had come across a listing for a YSI-55 with 25' cord on ebay, listed as new, completely unused, for $299. Of course when I received it two days later the "too-good-to-be-true price" was actually too good to be true.

The thing I received was very used, in salt water no less (mud, crystalized salt, rust, etc). The photos were just a bit deceptive. The seller does not dispute the false claims, (says oops, mistake. Yah, right.) and is sending me a return label.

I have been burned 3 times out of 3 shopping on ebay, and I don't think I can stomach another time.

I might just order the Hanna and give it a shot. I will let everyone know.

Thanks again,

Michael

Last edited by Michael P; 07/28/13 11:41 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Michael,

Sorry to hear that. I hope you burned the seller on his rating for that.

Keep us posted.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Sorry to hear that Michael, but I don't know of anyone that hasn't been screwed on ebay. Got it myself more than a few times.

I've always done well myself as far as overall, but those darn fees, if you sell something, they are totally outrageous! I closed my accounts a few years ago, and said heck with it!. It use to be a decent place.

I just bought a couple Iwaki pumps (thru a buddy) I hope they check out OK. New, no box eek, but I scoped them out fairly decent, and the dude seems OK. See what happens, because these are pretty Triik pumps, and will fit with what I want them for.

Yesterday,
Another dude had (2) MT 4100e DO transmitters. Said they were new, never used, for 199.00ea, thought cool! He didn't even have the right one in the box, and the screws don't come installed as shown. Ain't new at all!

Just gotta be careful on ebay. There are many selling stuff they don't even know what it is, and a big chunk of it is real crap!!!

I miss the old days of ebay, when someone selling used cloths has a brand new, factory sealed gizmo, that may cost 1500 bucks, and they have a buy it now price for 50 bucks! Never did ask questions wink

Last edited by JKB; 07/29/13 06:06 PM.
M
OP Offline
M
The big Brazilian rain forest company had the Hana for under $400, prime shipping. I just got the shipping notice. I'll get to play with it by Wednesday.

Yes the cord is too short, 4 meters, but most of the ponds in my area are less than 15' deep. Mine is only 11'. It will still cover 80% of the ones I will be on.

And if I am on a deeper pond I can still pretty much figure it out.
If I get 7ppm at 80deg in the first 12",
3 ppm and 76deg at 2',
1.2ppm and 71deg at 4',
.5ppm and 64deg at 6',
then I know where this is going.

Most of the time I will not actually have to measure all the way down to 18', or whatever the deepest spot is, in order to know that things are not as they should be. Those readings above are pretty much what I got on my pond with a borrowed YSI. I was at .35ppm and 62deg at 10'.

We'll see how long I can work it until I have to step up to the YSI 550A. For now, with that other $500 bucks I can get a little better wetsuit and some other testing equipment.

And hey, I can always turn around and sell the Hanna on ebay - New, never used!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Michael P
The big Brazilian rain forest company had the Hana for under $400, prime shipping. I just got the shipping notice. I'll get to play with it by Wednesday.

Yes the cord is too short, 4 meters, but most of the ponds in my area are less than 15' deep. Mine is only 11'. It will still cover 80% of the ones I will be on.

And if I am on a deeper pond I can still pretty much figure it out.
If I get 7ppm at 80deg in the first 12",
3 ppm and 76deg at 2',
1.2ppm and 71deg at 4',
.5ppm and 64deg at 6',
then I know where this is going.

Most of the time I will not actually have to measure all the way down to 18', or whatever the deepest spot is, in order to know that things are not as they should be. Those readings above are pretty much what I got on my pond with a borrowed YSI. I was at .35ppm and 62deg at 10'.

We'll see how long I can work it until I have to step up to the YSI 550A. For now, with that other $500 bucks I can get a little better wetsuit and some other testing equipment.

And hey, I can always turn around and sell the Hanna on ebay - New, never used!

Any fish in this pond? wink

M
OP Offline
M
The pond was built sometime before 1965, and looks like it was never cared for after that.
I have caught BG, RE, and LM. (Someone correct me if I am using the wrong shorthand for fish species - still new here) I have never seen a BG or RE over 4" and the biggest LM so far is 7".

My suspicion is that lack of DO limits the size. There is probably a summer kill, every year, of any bigger fish. There are no good spawning areas, bottom is mucky, torpedo grass and cattails taking over the shore - I could go on, but suffice it to say that it is a mess.

But now it is my mess, and I will fix it, dammit! I have started mechanical weed removal, stocked mosquito fish, and will be consulting with Sue Cruz on aeration solutions.

The schools of smaller fish are already congregating around the cleared areas and the structure I put in. The DO is going to take a bit more time, as there is no power to the property at the moment.

This is going to be a demonstration pond for my business. Already held one class there. I can certainly show what a pond in decline looks like. Hopefully I can document the process of bringing it back to health as well.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
PM Highflyer for information on what he's doing regarding Solar aeration for his forage pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Michael P
Thank you everyone for the input.

I had come across a listing for a YSI-55 with 25' cord on ebay, listed as new, completely unused, for $299. Of course when I received it two days later the "too-good-to-be-true price" was actually too good to be true.

The thing I received was very used, in salt water no less (mud, crystalized salt, rust, etc). The photos were just a bit deceptive. The seller does not dispute the false claims, (says oops, mistake. Yah, right.) and is sending me a return label.

I have been burned 3 times out of 3 shopping on ebay, and I don't think I can stomach another time.

I might just order the Hanna and give it a shot. I will let everyone know.

Thanks again,

Michael

Well Michael, I feel your ebay pain once again.

Buddy who bought the pumps for me called me up and said a package arrived. Said no way those pumps are in it.

Stopped by and there were (2) Mass Flow Controllers for Nitrogen Gas in the box. They were new, and more expensive, but I don't think I want to flow N2 in my tanks.

Hope the guy is decent about this.

M
OP Offline
M
My initial review of the Hana HI9147 -

I have only had it out to ponds twice, but so far, so good. Initial setup was easy, took less than 10 minutes and most of that was reading the directions.

One thing I had not understood before is that you can set it to compensate for either salinity or elevation, but not both at the same time. I doubt if this is going to be an issue for me, but it might be for some.

It comes with extra membranes that screw on, very easy to replace. The air calibration is this simple:

Turn on
Hit calibration button
Turn calibration dial until it reads 100
Hit calibration button
Use

This could get a bit more complicated if you live somewhere where the humidity is below 30%. Then there is apparently not enough moisture to do the calibration and you must submerse it in a container of known solution. This is also not an issue where I live.

So far, I am happy with the purchase.

Still haven't received my refund from the ebay screwup though

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Here is a handy DO correction factor calculator that will generate tables. DO Tables USGS

My pumps were shipped out yesterday. They had an inventory number malfunction. Didn't have to go thru any BS to get this resolved. No instructions as what to do with the MFC's they sent tho.

JKB #346394 08/06/13 08:50 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hey JKB, that is a very handy reference. Thanks for that.

Glad to hear your pumps are on the way.

I am going to try to get a bit of video of the Hana in use on another pond today.

I guess I should have asked first, but am I breaking any forum rules by giving my opinions on a commercial product?

Michael

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think you're fine Mike.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob-O
by Pat Williamson - 05/16/24 07:53 AM
Optimal vs. Purina
by gehajake - 05/16/24 07:26 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/15/24 09:13 PM
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by jludwig - 05/15/24 12:21 PM
Pest Control around Pond
by Ortantyun - 05/15/24 11:22 AM
Building a sprayer for 10 acre farm pond