Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,418
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (teehjaeh57, Bobbss, esshup, Boondoggle), 754 guests, and 189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28054 11/02/04 08:03 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
A recent study that raised largemouth bass in tanks and cages found that when the LMB (less than 12") were fed pellets (Aquamax 5D05 or Clear Choice 3) the food conversion ratios were 0.95 to 2.11. In most of the tests the food conversion ratios of these captive fish ranged between 1.11 to 1.71. This means that when feeding bass pellets one could get around one pound of bass growth for every 2 pounds of high protein pellets. Aquaculture magazine, Sept-Oct 2004, Vol 30: 8-15.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It would be interesting to continue the study for a number of years and to compare to a control group with an identical genetic background.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Bill,

Are you aware of any studies which assess the "catchability" of LMB when provided access to pellet feed vs "catchability" without the presence of pellet feed. By catchability, I'm referring to the propensity of LMB to strike artificial lures/flies.

In my small world of ponds(3.5 acre, 1.5 acre, 1/2 acre, 1/4 acre), I have, like newbee above, experienced a significant decline in "catchability" of LMB when they are provided access to pellet feed.

At first, I attributed this to the stocking of Florida bass. However, upon transplanting native bass into the same environment, I'm now noticing the same thing occur. The bass simply won't go for artificials...it is much easier for them to eat pellet food and to catch bluegill when the
bluegill are eating the pellet food. A very disappointing development.

C
C
so bass that were in a pond prior to supplemental feedings, will or will not start pellet feeding?.. i noticed its been harder to catch fish out of this pond.

chris

"Born to fish, Forced to work!"

2.3 acre, 1.5 acre, 1 acre , .5acre (bgill only)
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
See my lengthy post under the heading Questions & Observations topic "pellet eating LMB".

Meadowlark, My post as noted above pretty much explains what I see as happening in your pond with the bass beginning to ignore artificial lures/flies. I think what you are experiencing is a normal occurrance and some variations can occur which I tried to explain in the post. Why would you expect the bass, especially the larger ones, to continue to be eager to be "jerked around by the jaw"? I don't think it is a pleasant experience for them unless you can find some with masochistic tendencies. Step back and think about it. What would you do if you were a fat, lazy, bass in your pond?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Bill,

I would do exactly as the Bass do...catch/eat that which is easiest and harms me the least. My point, which I'm really formulating in my own mind, is that maybe artificial feeding isn't necessarily consistent with the goals of raising and catching lots of bass....for the fun of it

I've just completed a DIY pond renovation....made a 1/4 acre old pond into a 2 acre new fish haven. I'm seriously considering not using any artificial feeding in this new pond, but concentrating instead on the natural food chain. I'll continue to artificially feed in my other 3.5 acre pond and admire the large fat uncatchable bass, but when I want to have fun on my fly rod, I believe the 1.5 acre pond will be the answer. Time will tell. Thanks for the discussion.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Meadowlark - Your point is correct and is what some of us have been saying or preaching often; each pondowner needs to first establish their GOALS in what they want in a fishery. Feeding pellets to fish does have its disadvantages, as you are describing in this topic. Everything you do in managing a pond has advantages and disadvantages. It is up to the manager to make the choices for what he wants as goals for the pond. Hopefully the homework is done first rather than later. This is a pretty good pond management forum for learning and exchanging ideas. By far, all things are not known about raising fish. We have a lot to still learn, investigate, and research. I think learning is what it is all about. Listen to someone with experience that has been through it before or learn by trial and error. Choices.

Hopefully you can experiment with your raising the bass in the 1.5 ac pond without pellets and compare the results with the other ponds you have. Keep GOOD NOTES; the memory gets foggy over time. Maybe even mark your bass to see how often the same ones are recaught. Then you can share your results with us. Trying different things in different ponds is how I obtained a lot of my practical exerience. However experimentation when raising fish does take time(a disadvantage)to see the results.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails