Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,957
Posts557,918
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
16 members (John Folchetti, canyoncreek, FishinRod, DrewSh, KenHorton, Theo Gallus, Donatello, ghdmd, catscratch, phinfan, Theeck, Cliff76169, Justin W, Shorthose, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24), 925 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#338157 06/07/13 12:31 AM
O
OP Offline
O
7 responses on my Memorial Day thread...... Very few on the tornadoes that devastated Oklahoma and other states.....Lots of people died. Someone gets a couple ATV's stolen and it goes viral...... Glad you folks got your priorities straight. Not a soul inquired if any of us from the affected states were okay....... I guess we're not a part of the "Good Ol' Boy" club so we don't matter..... I think a lot of us know where we stand now.......

Warning: My Dog Has A Gun And Refuses To Take His Meds!
Okie Bob #338164 06/07/13 04:23 AM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I work 3rd shift and I am a supervisor, so lets just say that I have plenty of desk time to stare at a computer. I look at pond boss almost twice every night. I dont remember seeing your Memorial Day thread or I would have most certainly responded. I am a 7 year Army veteran who decided to get out of the military because I served 5 of those 7 years overseas. Im left with memories that I must deal with everyday, and stories I wish to never tell, but Im proud I did it and would never take any of it back. American service men and women are dear to my heart and I thank all of them who spent just one lonely night away from home and what they love rather it be their pond or just sitting on the couch with an old dog. I have found that the men and women of pond boss are great people. Some are more opinionated than others and can be kind of harsh with words but usually they all mean well. On the same token, some threads and topics just get people fired up more than others, and thieves are one of them. I hope you stick around and find joy in all the information that is posted here, whether it is a topic that is as dear to your heart as others or not. Pond boss is a great group of people.

Okie Bob #338165 06/07/13 05:57 AM
V
Fingerling
Fingerling
V
Bob, I appreciated your posts on both subjects. I don't post on Pond Boss everyday, but those posts serve as reminders to me of where my prayers are needed.

Okie Bob #338167 06/07/13 06:17 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bob, I wouldn't be too discouraged. For the most part the people here are good people. I would also consider that this time of year I (probably like many others) just glance at the headlines for a minute and that's about all I got time for.

Memorial Day was Awesome and I know there was tribute like crazy across Facebook and many other social sites. I doubt if I had seen the thread would I have posted, but I bet for sure would have sat for a moment in silence just thinking about what people have gone through for me.

The Oklahoma tornadoes I think impacted people so much that I know for myself kinda the best way to cope was to withdraw and try not to read about it everyday. (not saying that was correct thing to do).

I haven't seen an ATV thief thread yet, but if or when I do, I bet that would be an easy one to post on because I like many others can easily relate and share a story that could be funny, etc. Very very easy subject to expound on and perhaps goof off a bit with in a world full of heavy subjects...

don't give up on mankind (or pond bossers).

Okie Bob #338168 06/07/13 06:23 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Okie Bob
7 responses on my Memorial Day thread...... Very few on the tornadoes that devastated Oklahoma and other states.....Lots of people died. Someone gets a couple ATV's stolen and it goes viral...... Glad you folks got your priorities straight. Not a soul inquired if any of us from the affected states were okay....... I guess we're not a part of the "Good Ol' Boy" club so we don't matter..... I think a lot of us know where we stand now.......

Bob, I began a reply to your Memorial Day thread but the tears got in the way.
Memorial Day is a bitter/sweet day that I avoid memories that are very difficult for me to handle.

We have to handle these things our own way.
With great respect,
George Glazener

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Okie Bob #338169 06/07/13 06:34 AM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I may not have posted in the Oklahoma threads but words are just that. I did send a care package to my fellow law enforcement officers who were affected out there and made a donation to the Red Cross. It's a terrible tradgedy. I'm generally not one to post on issues.

As far as Memorial Day, I think anyone who is Facebook friends with me is well aware of my stance on the holiday and deepest gratitude for those who gave all in the service to this great nation.

Okie Bob #338171 06/07/13 07:19 AM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
As for myself, I am a very private individual where such matters are concerned. Starting a thread about an emotional subject in hopes that it would solicit responses just isn't in my nature. I understand that some may draw comfort from long distance emotional support, and I respect that...but that's not who I am. If my lack of participation in such threads upsets some, then I'm sorry for that, but I believe that said participation should be freely extended, not solicited or expected, in order for it to truly mean something. And when it comes to the subject matter at hand, I think everyone should respond in the manner in which they see fit, and are comfortable with.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Okie Bob #338182 06/07/13 08:22 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bob, to me, dead soldiers are something that I seldom talk about. I have a couple of Uncles there. I never knew them but their sons, my cousins, certainly didn't have the life I did.

As far as the tornado goes, come on down to Texas and you can help me work in the tornado stricken area of Granbury.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Okie Bob #338183 06/07/13 08:25 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Okie, I'm sorry you feel that way.

I would not take it as any reflection of you or your 'status' on the forum.

Regarding the comment about the "Good 'Ol Boy" club, I understand what you are saying, but there is truly no real exclusion of anyone. You get what you put in, and that has morphed into a lot of in-person meetings, large and small, not just posting on the forum.

It's funny to think how strong some of the friendships are that were hatched on the forum.

The week after next, 12 of us are going on a fishing charter to Richmond Mills. Out of the 12, there are three who I've never met before. You'll be surprised at the mix of people.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Okie Bob #338189 06/07/13 09:14 AM
Bob, I rarely walk past a puddle without jumping in, so here goes.

I doubt my combat time is anything like George's and others here on the forum. I know for a fact that they have seen and experienced far far more than I, and for that I thanks them and pray for them and their buddies nightly. I don't go to sleep with out saying my prayers because of what I have seen. I have also come to realize that most people can't handle the truth. If it does not effect them directly, it did not happen and I get that, they are not cut from the same cloth. They can't know the real cost of freedom, they just simply can't understand.

As for the damage of a tornado, again most people can't understand it and most are not prepared for one when they come. As for not posting, know that my thoughts were with you and everyone else I know in Oklahoma. I have family and friends in and around OKC and I did spend and will continue to spend time and efforts helping them. I also have to head up to the cemetery and reset Grandma'a and Grandpa's headstones when I get the chance and after things settle down some.

Please also consider that their was a explosion in West, the tornados in Granbury before and between Moore and El Reno. That is a lot of losses in a row to deal with. Yours is no smaller than anyone else's, but some of us have had our hands full these last few weeks.

As for the good old boy thing, I don't let that stop me. I have been told about the clicks and I don't care. I find my friends where I do. I invited all comers to our get together and people came form several states and it was a blast. When we do it again, you are welcome and I hope you make a few new friends.

So, in short, we do care, but everyone has had stuff stolen from us, it does effect us all, but only a handfull have ever seen a blast as large as the one in West or seen a tornado's effect especially an EF4 or 5. I have and I will not soon forget either.

I hope all is well with you and your family and friends and that you get your lives back on track soon. Please give us another chance, chances are most of us were helping out quietly and you just did not know.

Time to get back to work.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Okie Bob #338191 06/07/13 09:23 AM
W
W
Hey Bob... I didn't see the thread but I'll check it out. Memorial Day is tough on some of us. My father was a veteran and just recently passed away. He flew F-4's in Vietnam - 270 mission, 18 months, 16 air medals, 3 distinguished flying crosses for close air support, mostly around Hanoi. When I ride my cruiser, I wear a jacket with patches honoring my father's service and all of the other veterans, former POWs and MIA's - I wear it all year long. And, we survived Camille (Hurricane) during that time, too. Sometimes, life stinks...

But, don't get too down. I rarely post anywhere but the folks on this site are amazingly friendly and helpful. Take the family or a friend fishing. It helps me remember what Memorial Day is all about and why we make the sacrifices we do. It's all about the freedoms we enjoy. And, you can bet that tens of thousands of Texans and Okies (and others) have donated money, time and prayers for the victims of the tornadoes whether they post about it or not.

Give 'em a chance, buddy! You might be surprised how many really good people there are on the Forum and, for that matter, all around you.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
- Doug Larson

Okie Bob #338196 06/07/13 10:02 AM
O
O
May God take unto his fold those who perished. May God also give closure to the families of those unaccounted for, and may he ease the suffering and hardship of all those affected by natures wrath. frown

In my opinion utmost respect was payed to OK when you posted this in the About the Weather thread...

That thread was very active until all went out the door with your post..Several of us were bitching about the rain and cold... Nothing compared to what families are dealing with in the south and midwest..

Pretty much closed the door, sometimes nothing more can be said...

Okie Bob #338200 06/07/13 10:24 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Bob hang in there buddy. A look back for prior threads on such matters will I believe show who we are. Those things hurt and for many people they just can't talk /post about them.

My brother just retired from service. At age 56 he was just behind the tip of the spear in Iraq. He saw some horrible things but won't say much. Then at 59 he volunteered (with his unit - he could not bring himself to bug out on them even though he was entitled to) to go to Afghanistan doing Intel work. Its not fun at that age to be at 9000' in 0 degree temps dodging mortars and ied's. My father was a navel aviator in WWII flying torpedo bombers. He never talked about that - to hard even 50 years later. I found out why later. Often on an attack run they had 80% casualties. Watch the movie Midway and see what happens to the torpedo bombers.

The most telling comment I ever heard about the veterans who did not come home was by an English infantryman interviewed on the 50th Anv. of D-Day while visiting the graves of his comrades in Normandy cemetery . Still visibly shaken by the events 50 years before he managed to say to us ,when ask what he would tell people , " Just remember that they willingly gave up all of their tomorrows so you could live free today !". A strong reminder of their sacrifice.

With respect to the tornado devastation other than quietly helping however we can there is not mush we can do. Most of us have been through tornados or hurricanes or both and feel for those stricken. Our personal experience reveals that words are empty but our actions can help.. The survivors will struggle always moving forward and those that passed are in a place of joy and without pain. Stay strong with the knowledge that there will be a better day.

Bob there are only 2 groups here - those that are close friends (like Sunil described) and those that are going to be close friends. There are no outsiders - all are welcome to inclusion. I will say that this is the most caring group of people you will ever encounter outside of your blood relatives. Grace and peace friend.

Okie Bob #338202 06/07/13 10:29 AM
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
I envy your eloquence, Gentlemen, and praise your kindness, but a kick in the patootie is sometimes warranted and justified and should be delivered with greater vigor.

Okie Bob #338204 06/07/13 10:32 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Duds, I cringed a bit when I saw that you had posted!

I wonder if "Animals" ended up joining the Marines Corps.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Okie Bob #338205 06/07/13 10:46 AM
So....... uh....... How about them ponds?

Okie Bob #338206 06/07/13 10:48 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

Seriously?!?

I don't know you Bob so I assume you are just blowing off steam. But the as of this morning the "Damn Thieves" thread had 50 views and 1,166 views. The "Heart Felt Prayers" thread had 59 posts and 1,393 views. So how is the Damn Thieves thread "viral" compared to the Heart Felt Prayers thread.

Every time I hear about tragic events in areas of the country I think about my Pond Boss brethren. Flooding occurs in Texas and I wonder if George, Bob Lusk, Dave D, and all of my Texan Pond Boss friends are doing. Nebraska brings to mind TJ and Bruce and Omaha. Virtually every event makes me wonder how my Pond Boss friends are coping.

But ask, just ask for any type of help and the Pond Boss army comes running. Heck you don't even have to ask and people offer help and support.

The "Good Old Boy" club does exist. All you have to do to join is participate. Everyone is granted free membership. Even someone as demented as me.

And I can tell you from personal experience, if you need a helping hand, or just emotional support it is extended to you from this family of Pond Meisters. The folks here are some of the greatest folks I've ever met in my 55 years on this on this planet. If your opinion is that they don't care then you are sadly mistaken.

Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
I envy your eloquence, Gentlemen, and praise your kindness, but a kick in the patootie is sometimes warranted and justified and should be delivered with greater vigor.

Amen Brother Landry, Amen

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Okie Bob #338207 06/07/13 10:55 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Dudley. It is indeed good to have you provide balance to my ranting. Tough love is often a much more effective remedy than words for those in need ! A physician's prescription well given. I mean that sincerely and am not being sarcastic.

You also JHAP. One thing we all have for each other is a passion for life. Each in his own way. Seize the day !

Last edited by ewest; 06/07/13 10:58 AM.

Okie Bob #338208 06/07/13 10:56 AM
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Bob, most people can't imagine what you people in texas and the mid-west have gone thru, or what the people in the military experienced. All of our information is from TV or the internet. As most posters before me have stated (far better than I can), we are with you and support you, but don't exactly know how to respond. I have never witnessed devastation like you have experienced, and the fact that you think no one cares is very tough on you, my friend. I am truly sorry...

Just do it...
Okie Bob #338211 06/07/13 11:07 AM
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Hee hee. You're the one who scored all the points in that game. Sometimes it's easy to work yourself into "the pole position to earn the first annual dum-bass award" and "the chicken's hit award." I carry that thread in my favorites and visit it occasionally. Fun days.

Okie Bob #338213 06/07/13 11:20 AM
O
O
One of the biggest mistakes I made in my entire life was asking my dad if he killed anyone in Vietnam..I was probably 13 years old...He looked at me with a hollow stare and left...

About a week later he sat my brother and I down with a box that had pictures with his handwriting on them..."VC we shot", I can close my eyes and still see that picture...He didn't say much, just simple stuff like the stories you hear about getting hurt you go home, not true...He was shot in the chest with small caliber arms fire..Lived to go back to war...

He would give anyone his last dollar, the shirt off his back and can still work most 20 year olds under the table at 67...

But it is not Memorial day I owe my dad to, That's Veterans Day...It is the men that I watched him cry for in Washington DC as they stenciled their name on a piece of paper from the wall...As well as all the other men and women that died for OUR country...

Okie Bob #338222 06/07/13 12:15 PM
OK, I've digested this for 8 hours, and only have 2 things to say.

The PB Forum is a community with no walls, ceiling, or floor and everyone's welcome in that community. Period.

Complaining about the lack of sympathy, negates the value of sympathy.

AL

FireIsHot #338225 06/07/13 12:30 PM
J
J
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

Well said. I couldn't think of a better way myself to state anything worth while and within forum guidelines.

Okie Bob #338231 06/07/13 12:57 PM
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
FireIsHot #338233 06/07/13 01:15 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

My feelings also.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/23/24 10:16 AM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 10:08 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:04 AM