Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,168
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
3 members (bmo, Boondoggle, Blestfarmpond), 844 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#336540 05/27/13 08:05 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi, everyone. I've been looking at this site off and on for a few weeks and found tons of good information.

I have a pond I've been trying to evaluate and hopefully can improve. I was hoping to start a thread on here with pictures, fishing results, and of course questions.

The two biggest problems so far are coontail, and too many small bluegill.

C
CMM Offline
C
Welcome! You have come to the right place for help with achieving your goals. I am not an expert on anything, but the smart people will be right over with all the questions for you smile

CMM

CMM

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks for the welcome. The aquashade seems to be working okay on the coontails (atleast compared to previous years) and I think I'm going to go with adding more LMB to thin out the bluegill population. Hopefully I'll get some time to come up with questions and take some pictures soon!

How about some pictures? We love photos.

How old is the pond? Consider doing a simple fishing survey. Record the species, length and weight of the fish you catch over a few fishing sessions and it will really help you figure out what you need to do with fish management. If the pond hasn't been harvested at all, from what I've read I don't think adding LMB will be the right answer.

Welcome, Instructor!

I'm not an expert either but I'll chime in on what will be helpful in getting some answers to many of your pond/fishery questions. Just to name a few, so don't hold back on giving these folks as much info as possible:

*Size of pond
*Age of pond
*Depth of pond
*Your pond and fishery goals

Otherwise there's one answer to fit nearly all questions;

"It depends"

Keith

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 05/31/13 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling :)

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Bocomo #337189 05/31/13 07:40 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted By: Bocomo
How about some pictures? We love photos.

How old is the pond? Consider doing a simple fishing survey. Record the species, length and weight of the fish you catch over a few fishing sessions and it will really help you figure out what you need to do with fish management. If the pond hasn't been harvested at all, from what I've read I don't think adding LMB will be the right answer.

I'll try to get some pictures soon. I see plenty of bass when walking around the lake but they have been hard to catch.

It's about 5 acres and average depth is probably 4-6' but there are a couple areas up to about 12'.

We have large mouth bass, bluegill, blue cats, grass carp and some crappie (I've never caught many crappie there but they are there). We just stocked 200 channel cats, 50 bass and 150 crappie, all were 4-6".

It's a little difficult to fish there because of the shallow water mixed with weeds. If you are fishing for bluegill though, you can catch a dozen within a few minutes but almost all of them will be 5-6".

We do not allow anyone to take bass from march-june. I don't think very many people keep anything from there, but a few of us do here and there.

The lake is at a Consevation Club and has been there for over 40 years (man made). Fed by a small creek and has an overflow pipe on the opposite end.

I would like to see it with a little less weeds, the bluegill a little bigger, more catfish and maybe more bass (or easier to catch).

We also have an aerator and have started feeding pellets since we stocked last time. We have about 4-6 nice blue cats that are probably over 10 lbs each and an albino channel cat about the same size but so far none of the other fish have been coming to the pellets, well except the bluegill.

The bass seem to be reproducing well enough, it hasn't been stocked in probably 10 years and there are some big ones in there as well as all different sizes. There are some monster bluegill too, but catching one is rare because of the number or small ones that come to your bait as soon as it hits the water.

N
OP Offline
N
I should also add there are brown bullheads, bullfrogs, snapping turtles, sliders, and snakes.

The bullhead are easy to catch at night with liver.

I've seen people catch LMB up to 5 or 6 ponds on artificial lures. I get bored easily with artificial bait so I normally fish with live bait. I've caught most of my bass there on small bluegill.

One day a couple years ago towards the end of the summer I caught about 12 large crappie within an hour or so on something similar to a rooster tail. Since then I've never caught more than a couple in one day.

We have an annual hog roast with a kids fishing tournament that I've done for the last 4 years or so, another coming up June 9th. We normally have 25-30 kids from 2pm-3pm. They normally catch about 200 fish in that hour and first place has been around 30-40 fish before. These are all kids 12 and under and the size of the fish is almost all like the little ones I mentioned above.

Last edited by NRAInstructor; 05/31/13 07:59 PM.
N
OP Offline
N
Is it possible the population of predators is okay versus bluegill and they are just being kept safe hiding in the coontail?

I'm also wondering if the fish are hard to catch because of the bluegill population. Maybe they are just eating them and therefore not hungry. frown

ETA: What about the crappie? I've been reading they are somewhat of a nuisance here but we don't hardly catch any in this pond/lake.

Last edited by NRAInstructor; 06/02/13 09:58 PM.
It's really hard to tell what's going on without a creel survey. Just go fishing, and record length, weight, and species of every fish. Then look up the relative weight (percentage of ideal weight) for each fish caught. That will really help tell us what's going on.

Bocomo #337501 06/03/13 06:14 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
At this time I'd hold off on adding more LMB. It is a good possibility that there are too many places for the little BG to hide from the LMB. I agree with the creel survey. Lengths, weights (weighed, not estimated) and species of fish. Usually you don't want cover for the fish to hide in to be more than 20% of the surface area of a pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
Hi everyone. I just joined this forum as I've been looking for info on starting a new fish pond for fishing only. My question is it possible to have some smb and bg in a 50' x 50' pond 10' deep? My wife and I had to move from a lake to the country and both like to fish but the plot of land I have won't be able to provide us with a larger pond. Might be able to go 60 x 60' at the most. Thanks Bart

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In a small pond it would be easier to go with fish that are more of a put and take fishery like Hybrid Bluegills and Hybrid Striped Bass.

Welcome to the forum!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
N
OP Offline
N
We had our kids fishing tournament today. 14 kids entered, and they caught 108 bluegill in 1 hour. I set up plastic totes with pond water for the kids to throw the fish in and they were taken to a local garden afterwards for fertilizer. We told the kids (all under 12) that the fish would be "released" later to avoid tears and objections.

Out of the 108 fish caught, probably 5 were keepers and were released. 90% or so of the ones removed were under 6".

I doubt this even put a dent in our bluegill population. frown

N
OP Offline
N
As far as the survey mentioned, it's hard to give any good info when all you catch are bluegill and weeds, but I will try to get some pictures soon.

You caught 108 BG and 0 bass? Hmm... That is a problem smile

Bocomo #338746 06/11/13 07:33 AM
N
OP Offline
N
You caught 108 BG and 0 bass? Hmm... That is a problem smile

Yes, that is a problem. Actually one bass was caught that was about 5" and other than that the rest were bluegill.

I think I may have to just pay someone to come out and evaluate the pond.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Put a hook through a 3 inch bluegill with no cork and no weight. You might be surprised.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
N
OP Offline
N
here are a few pictures from the other day.

Attached Images
IMG_1407.JPG IMG_1413.JPG IMG_1405.JPG IMG_1406.JPG IMG_1408.JPG
Nice pics. I will be astonished if there aren't a ton of LMB in there. What are you fishing with?

Bocomo #339167 06/13/13 05:52 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Nice pics. I will be astonished if there aren't a ton of LMB in there. What are you fishing with?

There are a ton of them, they're just hard to catch. That one was caught with a tiny piece of night crawler while fishing for bluegill. I actually caught it but my daughter wanted her picture taken with it.

I've tried everything but I've had my best luck while using minnows or small bluegill. Rubber worms seem to be a favorite by a bunch that fish out there but I haven't had much luck using them.

N
OP Offline
N
I just rephrase that. I THINK there are a ton of them. Right now they are spawning and if you walk slowly along the bank you will see one about every 30-40' where the water is clear.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If the fish see relatively heavy fishing pressure, there's not much that they will bite on besides live bait. Especially the lures that they see thrown at them frequently.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

N
OP Offline
N
That's something I hadn't considered, so thank you. I wouldn't really call it heavy fishing pressure, but maybe enough people throwing lures at the same fish to scare them off of those.

I'm going to spend a whole day soon with a bucket of minnows and small bluegill and try to catch as many bass as possible and weigh/measure them. I'll post the results here. The one my daughter is holding was around 15" but I did not get a weight.

Any ideas from anyone about the bluegill for now? Should I try to thin them out a bit or just leave them alone until I figure some other things out?

N
OP Offline
N
A bigger bass photo caught the same day as the kids fishing tournament by our Vice President.

Attached Images
IMG_1336.JPG
Last edited by NRAInstructor; 06/13/13 08:55 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Until the weights/lengths are in, I'd leave the BG alone.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by John Fitzgerald - 05/02/24 10:07 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 09:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use