Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG
18,515 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,264
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,574
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
8 members (Fishingadventure, Theo Gallus, Joe7328, WaterEddie, lafarmpondguy, Sunil, FireIsHot, FishinRod), 1,152 guests, and 370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
fbcoach Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Since the temps have started warming up in Southwest MI I have begun to feed in the morning as well as the evening. I am going with the standard feeding regiment of only enough food that they can eat in 10 minutes. My question is even though they are eating the food am I getting any growth benefit out of this much feeding?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yes fish eat to grow. Keep feeding I feed 3x's a day in three different spots on a 3.5 acre pond..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
K
K
Nice BG.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In my main pond, I've gotten to where I "kind of" feed only once a day. What I mean by that, is that I feed a number of times in a 30 minute period. Currently, my feeder goes off at 7:00, 7:10, 7:20, and 7:30, each time for just three seconds. I find that different fish come each time. It starts with several bass and a bunch of really large bluegill. The next time a couple of bass will feed, but a whole bunch of medium size bluegill show up. The third and fourth time usually brings in a bunch of channel cats, along a continuing bunch of medium bluegill.

If I were to just feed one time for 12 seconds, much of the food would get blown to one of the shorelines before it gets eaten. This way all of the food gets eaten. I do adjust the time and the timing over the season.

My other pond just gets fed once. The HBG and fatheads/rosey reds, and the two koi are all gluttons. They down a half pound of food pretty darn quickly.

Last edited by catmandoo; 05/20/13 04:19 PM. Reason: Uncorrected spelling checker

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Online Content
I feed the same as Cat but different. I want the most aggressive CNBG fed 3 times a day with 2 second throws, so I feed breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My larger jumpers are always waiting on the throws.

Puddle is much clearer this year after reducing throw time duration, and I'll go to 4 throws a day in another couple of weeks. We had too much food hitting the bank with our prevailing winds, and that problem seems to be gone.

AL

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
BG can't eat much at one time (a few pellets). Feeding them a small amount several times a day works best. My schedule changes through the feeding year. Right now at 2x on some but changing soon to 3X. One pond is 3X now. I am supp feeding not feeding to satiation. LMB can eat a lot at one time so multiple feedings are not critical. HSB are gluttons so they will eat a lot and often. Your call depending on conditions , goals and budget.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I just want to get my feeder going, but with the weather we have I cannot get down to the pond. After the rain that just hit the area it may be weeks before I am in there.

Plus with the winds that ripped through my feeder and the tree it is tied to may be in the water.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Honest guys I don't make an effort to be contrary but I started feeding only once a day to satiation several years ago. I've not seen any reduced growth although most literature out there says the more often you feed during the day the better your growth rate will be.

That said there is some literature that says mature brood fish size trout only need to be fed once a day. Could this apply to other species?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/20/13 06:11 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Put me in the feed once a day to satiation camp also. BUT....I don't practice the 10-15 minute rule. Like Cat, I get better results by extending that once a day feeding over 30 minutes or so.

My goal is not to simply feed my fish, it's to get the feed INTO my fish. Whatever it takes to encourage them to feed the heaviest is what I'll do.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
I feed the same as Cat but different.

Oh boy!

My wife's favorite uncle, who we both considered a wonderful mentor, often quoted the old Vaudeville anti-joke of:

"What's the difference between a duck?

One of its legs are both the same."

Yeesh! cry

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Different questions here. There are several different feeding approaches. Match your goals. Feeding for aquaculture is different than feeding for recreational pond purposes. Feeding in small ponds where the goal is as many fish as big as possible as soon as possible requires one approach. Supp. feeding on bigger ponds is different because of harvest requirements , costs and mgt. goals. It just depends on the situation.

The science on feeding for growth in BG indicates that best results are through a process called compensatory feeding. For example short term starving followed by longer term feeding. For example 5 days on feed and 2 days off followed by 5 days on , etc.. I can dig out the info if needed.

Last edited by ewest; 05/21/13 08:56 AM.

D
D
May I ask what most are feeding. Floating feed or sinking feed.

My first bag is semi floating sinking feed and I am having a hard time telling if the perch are eating all the feed.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think most of us are using 32% to 42% protein floating food in our ponds. I primarily use a brand called "Lil Strike" from our local farm co-op. Although I occasionally use various Purina Aquamax products if I can get them. I've also used some of the Cargill floating feed sold in this area by Tractor Supply.

In trout aquaculture we mainly use very high protein sinking food from Melick or or Zieglar.

T
T
Floating feed one time daily all the way around the pond by hand in designated areas. Feed right at 5# per surface acre of combined 36% (larger pellet)& 38% (fingerling small pellet).

Feed a sinking / floating combination 38% crush feed scattered around edges at 2# per surface acre every other day for forage fish.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Different questions here. There are several different feeding approaches. Match your goals. Feeding for aquaculture is different than feeding for recreational pond purposes. Feeding in small ponds where the goal is as many fish as big as possible as soon as possible requires one approach. Supp. feeding on bigger ponds is different because of harvest requirements , costs and mgt. goals. It just depends on the situation.

The science on feeding for growth in BG indicates that best results are through a process called compensatory feeding. For example short term starving followed by longer term feeding. For example 5 days on feed and 2 days off followed by 5 days on , etc.. I can dig out the info if needed.

Eric,

The compensatory feeding is somewhat controversial among scientists is it not? Seems not everyone accepts it as fact from what I have heard.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I think most of us are using 32% to 42% protein floating food in our ponds. I primarily use a brand called "Lil Strike" from our local farm co-op. Although I occasionally use various Purina Aquamax products if I can get them. I've also used some of the Cargill floating feed sold in this area by Tractor Supply.

In trout aquaculture we mainly use very high protein sinking food from Melick or or Zieglar.

Cats got it right. I use Aqua Max 500/600 floating food 41 percent protein. I can get a 50 pound bag for 36 bucks. They love it!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Just found out the feed store I have been getting my feed at has gone out of business. Not sure what i will do now but I am sure I will find something. Hate to change to lower end food but if that is all I can find I guess it is better than nothing.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
Just found out the feed store I have been getting my feed at has gone out of business. Not sure what i will do now but I am sure I will find something. Hate to change to lower end food but if that is all I can find I guess it is better than nothing.

A possible option is to check into is piggy backing on to someone else that gets feed in bulk like a fish supplier or fish producer.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Remember the saying "let your fingers do the walking"?

Here ya go. Type in your zip code and start calling them.

Not all of them will have the aquamax in stock.

Aquamax dealer locator

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Not too many have aquamax around here anyway unless you order it and then who knows when it comes in.

I will probably use GFC this year anyway since prices are so high and my CC are out of control.

The shop i bought this from always had GFC in stock. I think TSC has it as well but it is much higher I have also used some food from Atwood’s but the fish did not really care for it.

I was actually trying to get some people together to make an order as well to see if we could get the price down but not too many interested parties.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/05/24 02:01 PM
Detective Erika
by Boondoggle - 05/05/24 01:03 PM
My First
by x101airborne - 05/05/24 07:39 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:18 AM