Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,263
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,574
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
7 members (Boondoggle, FireIsHot, bmicek, catscratch, Sunil, Ponderific2024, fishengelbert), 1,125 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
GCA Offline OP
OP Offline
G
My name is Gary Allard and I am a new member to the forum. I must say I love the site and have already learned so much from here, to all involved, keep up the excellent work!!!
I would like help on making improvements to a lake in Macon County Missouri. It is a private 20+ acre, natural spring fed body of water that is 31 feet at its deepest and has LMB, Crappie, HBG and Grass Carp. Here is the problem...the bass are over populated. the only cover the lake has are lilly pads and the club have put only hybrid blue gill in for the past 12 years or so. I have been trying to get more cover in when I can by way of evergreen trees and lake club approved artificial structure. I think I have the board members convinced that pure strain, not hybrid bluegill are better, but they also want to put in yellow perch. since it is a private lake and isn't fished enough to have an affect on the bass population, what else can I suggest to the board to do to help to get the fishery back on track and balanced???

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum! What are the fishery goals for the Body of Water (BOW)? Large Largemouth at the expense of large Bluegills? Large Bluegills at the expense of large LMB? Or something else?

The best thing would be to get the goals of the fishery, and then contact a pond management company that can electro shock the pond. That way if the goal is large LMB, then they can be taking out LMB when it's shocked.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
GCA Offline OP
OP Offline
G
The goal is for bigger LMB, we have a fish biologist who will be there to shock the lake in the late June to middle July timeframe. My concern is that we will b in the same "boat" by next year because of the lack of bass being taken after spawn...

G
GCA Offline OP
OP Offline
G
That is provided he takes bass out during the shock and we can get the amount of LMB down this year...

G
GCA Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the idea of LMB taken during the shocking process, something so simple yet, that idea evaded myself and the club thus far!!! With the lack of fishing pressure, would adding another predatory fish that would eat some of the LMB be a viable option to consider? If so, what sport fish would be best?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Tell him you want all the low RW LMB taken out. Get some scouts , church groups or the homeowners assoc. to fish and take out LMB. Add some adult BG. That would be a good start.

G
GCA Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Good idea! I will make that suggestion at the next Lake Club meeting!!! Thanks much!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If the pond is truly LMB stunted, you'll need to take out somewhere around 30# of LMB per acre. That's a LOT of fish to be removed via angling pressure. Will all the people fishing have a ruler, a scale and a WR chart?

That's why it's easier to take them out when they're shocked.

Adult BG, like ewest said, 6"-8" in length.

Here's something to ponder. One Largemouth Bass needs to eat 10# of fish per year to gain one pound in weight. Multiply that by the number of LMB in the pond and you see what you're up against. HBG don't have a high enough fecundity rate to support a population of LMB.

There are other fish that get large enough to eat LMB, but the problem with them is that you can't tell them just to eat the underweight LMB......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
GCA Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I can only speak for myself and about 6 others that always have those items with us now when we fish there, (and we do that now thanks to the info on this site)!!

I will do my best to educate as many of the lake members as i can and have those items available for everyone who fish there as well!! Since yesterday evening i have talked with some of the board members and they also like the idea of puting out feeders for the BG and the Yellow Perch....(The 6" to 8" BG are a sure thing now, don't know about YP yet...)

Thanks again guys for your input, (I love this site!!!) I will keep you posted as the year goes along and let you know how thing are going!!! Again, thanks a million!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
Detective Erika
by Boondoggle - 05/05/24 01:03 PM
My First
by x101airborne - 05/05/24 07:39 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:18 AM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:16 AM