Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (esshup, Fishingadventure, John Fitzgerald, Bill Cody, Waxaholic), 1,116 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#333713 05/07/13 08:46 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Was wondering what a good herbicide would be for controlling cattails? Heard roundup is good and won't hurt the fish.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You really should use a herbicide thatis approved for aquatic use that also has a surfactant mixed in. I use one called Shorekill.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
C
Catt Plex Herbicide Cattail Control with an added surfactant works well. It killed the cattails and then we pulled them out roots and all. I'm not saying it wasn't labor intensive, but it did the job.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Dredging this topic up as I now have a patch of unwanted cattails. Went to do some manual labor on them, and my lower back quickly realized spraying would be much more advantageous. Most are out of water right now as my pond is down a good 6 feet with a couple more feet to go before the rainy season.

So my question is:
Whats the best way to attack the problem?

Can you simply spray the base of them, or do you need to treat the entire plant (mine are over 10 feet tall). That would use alot of spray and drift might be an issue.

Would it be better to cut them down near the base with a machete or something, and treat the freshly wounded bases?

Thanks in advance for any help.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Mine were about 6 feet. I mixed in a surfactant in some round-up and sprayed as much of the plan as I could. It worked well and I only had a few come up this year (had them around half the pond last year). I did not pull any. I would think that cutting down their size and then spraying would work, but I have never tried it.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
A track hoe solved our cat tail problems.
Our CTs grow mostly in sandy loam and we dug the pond edges down to clay and never had a problem since - been 6-8 years and got more water.
Don't like chemicals but that's just me... grin

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CoachB
I did not pull any. I would think that cutting down their size and then spraying would work, but I have never tried it.

Actually Coach cutting them down and spraying is not recommended if the herbicide works systemically (goes down to the roots). They say the more surface area sprayed the better.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i dont really want to use chemicals either george, but cant justify the expense of yellow iron for such a small patch.

so what i am hearing is dont bother cutting and treating, and to spray as much of the plant as possible.

the patch is probably ~30 feet long, 10 to 15 feet wide, and 10+ feet tall - they are the tallest cattails i've ever seen. i've seen tules as big or bigger, but not cattails.

my goal is control, not complete removal. to reduce the patch in length on both sides. my wife loves the red wing black birds and the host of other critters that have called it home for 2 years, but its fast taking over one of my "easy pond access" shorelines.

GSF are people too!

T
T
When you spray, just try and spray as much as you can around the cattail, not just from one side but at least 3. I've done that for years, it kills them.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
died, PM sent.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
"loves the red wing black birds ..." ??

Ahhh! They are one reason we're trying to get rid of the cattails. RWBB's are super aggressive and chase any other birds away from the feeders. They just arrived last week and I bet we have 20+ just swarming the feeders and the other birds just give up and leave.

IME - cattails and other non-floating aquatic plants will only grow where the water is shallow enough and clear enough for sunlight to get to the bottom. Once established though, they almost build their own habitat through built up decaying material and such as well as trapping sediment around the root base. And then the march is on. Last fall when our pond was down a bit, I started removing cattails (well over 6 feet tall) first with a mini excavator then with my tractor loader. The muck and water they're in weigh so much I was tipping the excavator pretty often (not all the way over but close).

The quandary I find myself in is that I need to draw down the pond and let it dry out enough to get in and do some remedial dirt work BUT the time I need it empty is during the height of our need for it to be full (fire season, summer irrigation etc). Just have to gamble one of the summers I guess.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
If it makes you feel any better I whack any cattail that shows up and I still have red wing blackbirds.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/07/14 04:44 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
BTW cutting cattails only ticks off the cat owner neighbors:

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/08/14 12:28 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Oh come on! Nobody found that funny! frown grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/07/14 09:41 PM.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
A little smile

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RAH
A little smile

cry

P
P
I spray a lot of weeds with Roundup around our place but I don't like to spray around the pond. Here's how I control unwanted cattails. A couple times a year I mix up roundup in an old jar and use one of those disposable foam paintbrushes to paint it on the leaves. Just one swipe on 2 or 3 leaves of each plant always kills them. A lot less chemical and it avoids overspray going into the pond. Too time consuming for a large patch but an easy way to kill small patches that show up every year.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The problem with using Round-up or other generic "look a likes" it is that it is not labeled for use around water. So, it's illegal to use it that way. It's not the Glyphosate that is bad, it's the surfactant that hasn't been tested. So, there's no way to know for sure if the surfactant will or won't harm fish or any other aquatic life. The label is the law. As a licensed applicator, I can get in a lotta trouble if I use a herbicide in a manner that isn't listed on the label.

There are herbicides that are specifically labeled for aquatic use, and they do very well when trying to control cattails. I have better control on cattails when I use a bit more surfactant in the mix. I'm not talking about something that you think will work or home brews, I'm talking about surfactants that are specifically blended and tested and proven safe to be used around ponds.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
In otherwards the ones that are labeled for aquatic use had their manfacturers do the expensive testing.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Actually, most of the surfactants that are safe in aquatic environments are more costly than those used in formulations designed for terrestrial environments. Use pesticides and herbicides off-label at your own peril and with the knowledge that you are breaking the law (which in this case is a good law).

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
In otherwards the ones that are labeled for aquatic use had their manfacturers do the expensive testing.

Yep, AND they passed the testing process. We'll probably never know how many tests were failed first.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Yep, AND they passed the testing process. We'll probably never know how many tests were failed first.

Probably none but the cost was the same. grin

BTW Scott what's the deal with Aquashade and the other pond shade dyes? Aquashade is approved but the others aren't, but the others still sell their product?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Huh??? I haven't heard that. If I remember, I'll look into it this week.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Aquashade is one of our best selling and the industries highest quality lake and pond dye! It is made by Applied Biochemists and is the only lake dye on the market registered with the EPA.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Registered with the EPA and "approved" might mean different things.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?