Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
apost, Huntmastr1, Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc
18,539 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,022
Posts558,600
Members18,539
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,607
ewest 21,516
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,163
Who's Online Now
5 members (Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, apost, esshup, etx-pond-c), 614 guests, and 174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Now that it is growing season again (here in SC at least), I am working towards a more manageable way to maintain my fence lines and road beds without having to mow / trim all the time.

I am considering using a herbicide spray from either a tractor-mounted or ATV-mounted type of sprayer to keep vines / brambles off the fences and keep grass down at the bottom of fences do I don't have to trim with a string trimmer.

Also considering a small boom system integral to the sprayer for keeping my roads clear in the heavily wooded areas. I cannot believe how rapidly it can get away from me if I don't keep it cut and maintained regularly.

If we have a heavy rain, then the back portion of my woods which is swampy gets too wet for the tractor to run through and before I know it, I have a mess on my hands.

Do any of you use something like this, and can you recommend a chemical:
http://www.agproinc.com/agproatv.htm

To Hell with Georgia...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have used one for years. I mount it on my 4wheeler and use a spray wand. It is 12v. No problems.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
YJ, same here. I have a 30 yo Yamaha big bear that has had a spray rig on it for the last 4 years. I've gone with Northern Tool tanks, and whatever 12 volt pump has the highest pressure. My fence rows glow in the dark, but they are clean.

AL

OP Offline
Thank you kindly...glowing fence lines is what I'm after.

To Hell with Georgia...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I use a Glyhposate product mixed with Sahara to maintain maybe 1/2 mile of gravel roads. If it doesn't rain a lot, one spraying in the beginning of the year lasts until late Sept.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
High pressure means nothing without volume; 12v pumps or otherwise.
Which sprays further? A 3 gpm/3000 psi power-washer? Or a 60gpm/80 psi fire-hose?... not to mention that higher pump-pressures (say >60 psi, depending on the nozzle-type) increase the likelihood of drift-prone aerosols.
Shurflo makes a great 3.6 gpm/40psi on-demand pump, designed for high duty-cycles (allows constant spraying, without cool-down intervals for the 12v motor).
Either way you go, you can use a hand-gun for fence-spraying; or use a mounted flat-fan or cone-pattern nozzle that sprays (pivots) out to the side and leaves both hands free to steer (requires a switch-controlled pump).
Something like this...

J
J
We have a John Deere Gator with a 60 gallon tank and a 12 foot boom. Used for spraying fence rows. Heavy use in spring. Probably overkill for most people here.

Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie
High pressure means nothing without volume; 12v pumps or otherwise.

Kelly, I use the high pressure for reach and to blow through the winter rye. I wasn't having good luck with the lower pressure pumps. I should have clarified that.

Surflo does make great pumps and that's what I use on all 3 of my sprayers.

Nice spray rig.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 04/05/13 06:14 AM.

AL

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

YJ, same here. I have a 30 yo Yamaha big bear that has had a spray rig on it for the last 4 years. I've gone with Northern Tool tanks, and whatever 12 volt pump has the highest pressure. My fence rows glow in the dark, but they are clean.

Do you put your own tank / pump together?

I've looked at the Tractor Supply rigs and they look pretty cheaply made for the money.

To Hell with Georgia...
YJ, never looked at tractor supply, but ultimately I do make my own. The tanks last well from NT, but I always try to find them when the rigs are on sale, then put a Surflo on them when the house brand pump quits.

I would really like a rig like Kelly's, but I don't spray enough to warrant it. Good hoses and spray guns is where I really need to upgrade.

AL

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
I would really like a rig like Kelly's
Building spray-rigs is a sick hobby grin
One can't always find what is really needed on a store's shelf.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nice rigs Kelly!

Slight hijack here. Do you have any recommendations on what to use to "inject" in River Birch trees to kill them? Pathway by Dow was recommended, but I was wondering if anything else would be better. 6"/8" to 18"24" DBH trees. No matter what I use, it'll have some dye in it to make it readily visible where I was. The plan is to do the injection after leaves are hardened off. I didn't do a transect yet, but they are interspersed among other trees in the approximately 65 acre tract.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Oh man....

To Hell with Georgia...
I love it! I'll post my pics on the other thread this weekend.

AL

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Do you have any recommendations on what to use to "inject" in River Birch trees to kill them? Pathway by Dow was recommended, but I was wondering if anything else would be better.
Not too many river birch growing in my neck of the woods, so I'm not sure what all products are effective on it.
IF it's safe to use picloram at the site in question, then I'd say go for it (with Pathway ~ a restricted-use pesticide).
Very few products have the potency of picloram. But, be very careful with this soil-active product; especially with desirable trees nearby.
Pathfinder (triclopyr / general-use) would offer better safety to adjacent trees, IF there's any concern of soil-contamination with Pathway.
Either one will probably work as well as the other. My favorite saying: "You can only kill something so dead"
You can use frill-injection year-round, so no need to wait for leaf-maturity. Also, you might consider cutting down and removing the targeted trees and then treating the cambium layer on the remaining stumps - as shown - unless the dead river birch carcasses represent no future aesthetic issues - whether standing or fallen.

Last edited by Kelly Duffie; 04/08/13 09:35 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks Kelly. Cutting down isn't really an option as there's literally 100's of trees to treat. Some areas cutting could be worse as widowmakers are a possibility, then it'd take even more time to get them down. I read that I have to wait until the sap is done running in the Spring, as the sap washes off the chemical. The buds up here haven't even opened up with the exception of Maple trees.

1 ml per 2"-3" DBH is required. I'll be hacking into the cambium about 3' off of the ground and applying with a spray bottle. The chemical, if not dyed, will be dyed when I use it.

Leaving the trees standing as dead snags in areas where a tree or limb falling won't be a safety issue is actually better. The dead snags are a boon to wildlife. Birds feed on the insects under the bark, and woodpeckers make nests. There are Pileated Woodpeckers in the area, so their abandoned nests can be used by Wood Ducks. Some trees will be cut, but I estimate less than 2 dozen.

I'll look into Picloram and see if it's a viable option. Buying restricted use chemicals is not an issue, I'm certified for both land and water.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
Most formulations of picloram (as in the "active-ingredient", rather than a specific product brand) are restricted-use pesticides.
However, I was mistaken earlier, as PATHWAY is evidently not restricted-use - even though it contains a combination of picloram and 2,4-D.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Buzz Tatom, North40
Recent Posts
25 Acre Arkansas lake management advice
by apost - 05/21/24 11:32 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by Fishingadventure - 05/21/24 10:07 PM
Pond Builder - Central NY State
by Todynot - 05/21/24 08:52 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Bill Cody - 05/21/24 08:42 PM