Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,984
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,535
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Bigtrh24, FireIsHot, Dave Davidson1, jmartin), 1,233 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
CJBS2003 #323741 02/28/13 11:32 AM
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
We see them on occasion at our farm and they're usually in very poor shape. While camping as a kid I wondered off to find some firewood. Saw a nice chunky piece that I thought would burn for a while. Until it got up and ran off.

CJBS2003 #323742 02/28/13 11:33 AM
K
K
If you have sheep or goats, you need a guard dog to keep them alive here.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
kenc #323744 02/28/13 11:39 AM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: kenc
If you have sheep or goats, you need a guard dog to keep them alive here.

Ken I think you raise a good point....here, where I live, is cattle country mostly. I can see where sheep or goats might present a better target.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
CJBS2003 #323748 02/28/13 11:55 AM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
between yahoo humans, dogs, coyotes, and everything else (hogs) you guys have convinced me to always pack when I'm in the back woods of my property.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

ewest #323756 02/28/13 12:30 PM
F
F
Originally Posted By: ewest

When wolves are around the yote and fox populations shrink markedly. When yotes are around the fox populations decrease. In unregulated areas when yotes are around the dog population shrinks. See a pattern here ?

I also recently heard that the fox will decrease the wood duck population. When the coyote is around and reduces the fox population the wood ducks start to increase in number.

I don't disagree about the fact that nature takes care of itself as far as wildlife numbers go. When you compare it to our ponds, most of us here manage them. When the BG or LMB numbers get to high, you cull one or the other. If you apply this principal to deer management, then once in a while they need help too. Sometimes to reduce their numbers and sometimes to increase them.

CJBS2003 #323759 02/28/13 12:34 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Zep, I believe that everyone should do as they see fit in this regard. If you perceive a danger, or threat, then carrying a firearm might be a wise choice. And, don't forget the psychological impact...if carrying a weapon brings one peace of mind, whether a threat exists or not, and it allows for better enjoyment of their property, then it's probably worth it.

CJBS2003 #323760 02/28/13 12:37 PM
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: Zep
between yahoo humans, dogs, coyotes, and everything else (hogs) you guys have convinced me to always pack when I'm in the back woods of my property.

Don't forget about Sasquatch, either.

Yolk Sac #323766 02/28/13 01:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac

Don't forget about Sasquatch, either.

+1

To Hell with Georgia...
B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
Mark,

I have spent most of life over in the Payne Springs area of Henderson Cty. Never felt the need to always carry a firearm while on the property. Coyotes have always run off. I really haven't been too concerned about having an encounter with a hog. As far as people, well our place is surrounded by relatives property. Any strangers have a long walk to get to our place. But I do keep a firearm in the pickup. Now if I am away from the property, then I do have a concealed weapon. 100% of time.

Have been considering storing a single shot 410 shotgun at the pond for snake removal.

I am very concerned about security around house when we are not there.

It's another day in paradise
CJBS2003 #323770 02/28/13 02:01 PM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G

Uno don't like bad critters... grin

Originally Posted By: george1
ain't no cityfied, fluffed up sissy dog... grin
Otters and bobcats and other mean critters don't dare cross the fence but the goats love him - he's a pussycast but will look you over until you scratch his ears... cool
Goats for brush control and water primrose eaters - that little black mama goat will swim out in the pond until you can barely see her head - you don't need a tractor to mow pond banks....

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

CJBS2003 #323782 02/28/13 04:06 PM
K
K
Those great pyrennes are the dog of choice here also. If you have over 10 or so goats or sheep you need 2 of them. I don't see how you could make any money feeding those furry horses.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
CJBS2003 #323867 03/01/13 08:24 AM
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Sprk, A couple of thoughts regarding carry a gun on my property and elsewhere.

Nothing in the woods bothers me but humans.
I have been around guns my whole life and have a lot of them.
I shoot a lot.
I carry a Colt 1917 revolver in my pickup when I travel.
I do not carry one on my land unless I have a reason.
I do not have a Concealed Handgun License and don't keep one on me or in my vehicle.
I keep a can of foam wasp spray on the table nest to by bed.

I think very few people have the training to have a gun at hand. This is a huge understatement.

There have been three occasions in my life, 70 years, when I have lost my temper. During those times I have done things but have no recollection of it. Those actions were deemed justifiable. It is best that some people do not have a weapon at hand.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 03/01/13 08:32 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
CJBS2003 #323872 03/01/13 08:52 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Dave is the wasp spray for protection from humans? I agree with you on most, only thing that ever bothers me in the woods is other humans and Mosquitos, we don't have big game around here..

Also I've seen PACKS of coyotes in the woods and have never seen even a pack think twice when they've seen me, there gone haulin A$$ soon as they see me, I really don't see where the fear of these things come from..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 03/01/13 08:54 AM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
CJBS2003 #323897 03/01/13 12:36 PM
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
The foam wasp spray goes out as a glob and carries quite a way. And, it's under enough pressure to be pretty accurate. It blinds and is painful in the eyes. As far as accuracy, it's an awful lot more accurate than I would be with a pistol or even a shotgun after being awakened from a deep sleep. If it happened to be one of the Grandkids who were spending the night, it would be something I could later laugh about.

I've never had any kind of wildlife stand it's ground around me. That's not true for neighbors dogs.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 03/01/13 12:38 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
Ya,ll sure have got me to thinking and re-thinking about carrying a firearm around the place. I shoot frequently (weekly) and started concealed carried before it was legal, so I'm very comfortable around guns. But never carried around the place, in fact we rarely hunt on the old farm.

I have a lot folks tell me that the hogs are dangerous and one should be armed. So what do ya,ll think?

There is an occasional stray dog and that is a slight concern.

The two legged critters that might come around when I'm not there are the biggest concern.

It's another day in paradise
CJBS2003 #323902 03/01/13 02:17 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I know that many on here are absentee property owners, and I can see where that situation might entail taking more precautions than if one was a permanent resident on the place, especially in regards to other, unsavory, uninvited individuals.

I like to shoot, have owned firearms for many years, and are comfortable with them. But I only carry one when I have a clearly defined purpose....hunting, target shooting, pest eradication, etc. The idea of carrying a weapon out of fear, or on the off chance that I would NEED one to protect myself is a foreign concept to me.

I'm not a very well traveled person, so I'm open to the idea that I'm not aware of the harm that may befall someone who chooses not to carry a gun on their property, whether from animal or human sources. All I can base my decision not to carry on, is what I have experienced firsthand...and that leads me to believe that I'm in no danger. I know some are much more enthusiastic about their firearms than I am, and would enjoy the opportunity to carry a weapon more frequently, whatever the reason. And that's fine with me. But to my way of thinking, it would be like me carrying a garden hoe everywhere I go....just another tool.

CJBS2003 #323903 03/01/13 02:31 PM
Larry, the right answer is your answer. For me, I carry a sidearm a lot. At the farm, I am rarely without one. I don't carry because I am afraid of anything, but because I am out there solo a lot of the time. I have had to destroy around six "wild" dogs on our place that ran as a pack and we do have hogs that are on my list of things to get rid of.

I carry because you never know and I am very comfortable with a firearm. SO it comes down to you. If you are comfortable, proficient, and decide you would like to, then in this country, you have that right. It does comes with responsibilities, but we all know that as well. As good stewards of our land, we understand that with great gifts and freedoms comes great responsibilities, so that part is near and dear to our hearts.

I wish no one I'll, but there are a lot of "disrespectful" people who do not value other peoples property or persons and I'll be damned if I am going to let them hurt my neighbors, family or friends. Besides, I love BACON!!

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
CJBS2003 #323906 03/01/13 02:45 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Fear should be a foreign concept to free men. Survival however is imbedded in every organism we know at the deepest level. I plan to use every tool available (firearms are a tool)to survive and fulfill my purpose for being here. Most of the time I don't carry when at the land but resources are never far away (a lesson learned). I am not concerned about any animals except man. Some unfortunately exhibit the worst traits possible and have been known to trespass with criminal intent to commit crimes on our property.

CJBS2003 #323908 03/01/13 03:20 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Maybe I just live in a good neighborhood? Maybe I've been lucky up to this point. There's a lot of talk about violent people, and the damage they may inflict in this thread. Where I live, we have break-ins occasionally, but I don't recall it ever happening when someone was home, and leading to personal injury.

Perhaps living down in the hills and hollers, where you know your neighbors and they know you, and where you still look up when a car goes down the road, isn't such a bad thing after all.

CJBS2003 #323927 03/01/13 06:00 PM
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Larry, I've heard a lot of stories about hogs being viscous but have never talked to anyone who had personal knowledge. It's always been the barbers sisters friends husband. I've seen a lot of them and have only once had them not haul azz. That one time was a big sow with 4 young ones that stood about 14 inches each. They made me pretty nervous because they were following us around while we were riding 4 wheelers. They had the looks of feral hogs but the demeanor of puppy dogs. Wife and I still kept our distance. They actually followed us about 400 yards before we out ran them.

Like everyone else, I have good neighbors and bad ones. The good ones consider me a good guy and the bad ones consider me a jerk. Both are correct in their assessments.

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

I think very few people have the training to have a gun at hand. This is a huge understatement.

I very much agree with this point.

Professional training is a quarterly requirement for me...two Saturdays ago, I spent four hours in four lawn chairs with two others learning about the many ways we just killed each other or bystanders learning to address in vehicle threats.

One hour with cold weapons learning proper draw and bear techniques, one hour of slow motion hot range firing, and two hours of working up to a 'real world' scenario.

This was all done with the chairs arranged to simulate,the size of a passenger car.

At the end of hot fire, the instructor,brought us to our personal vehicles with cold weapons and had us try and replicate what we learned on the range in the lawn chairs.

I was feeling good until I hung up on the seat belt and put a passenger in the line of a hot weapon and then proceeded to clunk the steering wheel with the barrel and hose the entire windshield trying to address the bad guy out my window.

The worst part of the day was sitting in the driver position in the lawn chair car ramping up hot range fire drills with a passenger behind me practicing drawing and firing out an imaginary window while hearing the instructor keep telling my classmate to keep the muzzle off my kidneys.

To Hell with Georgia...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Larry, I've heard a lot of stories about hogs being viscous but have never talked to anyone who had personal knowledge. It's always been the barbers sisters friends husband.

Dave:

I have to look, but I believe I still have pictures on the computer. Hog hunting in Tenn. with a group of guys. Day 2. Guy and his buddy went out. Buddy wanted to take pictures of his buddy shooting a hog. Buddy ended up taking pictures of a hog from about 10' up a tree where he was chased. Why he didn't carry a firearm, I'll never know.

Tony, don't forget that our southern (and Western - JHAP)buddies also have to worry about people from South of the Border walking North - some might be carring illegal drugs.

Edit: Dave I looked, and found hog pics from that hunt, but those speciific pics weren't in that folder.

Last edited by esshup; 03/01/13 11:24 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
CJBS2003 #323977 03/02/13 08:26 AM
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Scott, I don't doubt that it happens. However, I don't think it happens often enough to give them a reputation. I've seen monster hogs turn themselves inside out trying to get away from me.

Same thing with rattlesnakes. I have no idea how many I've been around but have only had 2 become aggressive and come after me. Can't say the same thing about cottonmouths. Those things have an attitude.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Carrying a firearm is a personal decision with a personal responsibility to know how to safely use it.
Many animals while not normally dangerous can still be rabid.

I carry concealed not out of fear but mainly to reinforce my second amendment rights, and it's better to carry and never need it than to have it at home if you do need it.

CJBS2003 #324072 03/03/13 09:27 AM
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Agree with you 100% AP.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:12 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:04 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by esshup - 04/26/24 05:33 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away