Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 779 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
These are the steps through the mental process after your hard drive crashes when you have no backup.

Today there is no excuse for not backing up your valuable data. It is cheap and easy to backup to the cloud or an external drive.

Do it now before it is too late!!

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
So, what causes you to make such a post?

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Mostly it's possible to recover data from dead HDD but usually you have to search for a wise guy that does such things. By the way, it won't be cheap. It should be one when there is no backup but information in that dead HDD is valuable.

I agree about backups. It's not that hard to copy your data after some while.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Norton Ghost and an external hard drive each for both the laptop and desktop here.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
So, what causes you to make such a post?

In our business we see it all too often. So a helpful tip, I guess you could call it.

Bremer Pond Weather
Carbon Copy Cloner, and Time Machine for my Macs.

Dwight, if you lost your data, you're calmer than I would be. Over the past 15 years I heard the click of death several times and went into full panic mode.

AL

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
I haven't lost any data, just a reminder that it happens all to often.

Bremer Pond Weather
Lunker
Lunker
I saw a thing on TV about a company that specialized in recovering data on crashed hard drives. One of the employees previously worked at a suicide hotline. She said that it was good experience for her current job.

T
T
Dwight SHHHHHHH. Enterprising Ventures will recover data information for $175 per hr labor.

At my main Job we have mirror servers & mirror AS400's at different locations to combat having any problems.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I print everything and put it in a fireproof safe

Originally Posted By: Brettski
I print everything and put it in a fireproof safe

That helps only if you got some text documents. Even in that case you'll need some FineReader-type program to scan all documents if you need some changes to be made.

Like Dwight said, get another HDD and simply backup your data once in week or so. Don't be lazy.

S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
google's chrome aps are pretty awesome. I dont think i would lose anything in event of a crash, since all of my files are either in drive, in chrome, or in the chrome drop box.

While for an entire business, you might have to invest in a larger package of applications, for my home use and for all of my freelance work, it is perfect.

Im actually looking into a chromebook as my next home computer, since everything i use is in the chrome system now anyways, I might as well save the up-front investment and make it official.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd rather have my data in hand rather than out there somewhere where someone *might* access it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
Esshup, I learned from my house fire that if you keep it in hand you still need it at 2 different locations.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Had a striping raid array go bad one day. Lost an allocation bit on one of the drives. Experts say no-can-fix! A company in Chicago said send us the drive's along with 3K and we'll see if we can get your data. No guarantees!!! I lost "some" stuff over a 3 month period where I did not do a back-up. Most things were copied to CD's, and the CAD data for the two gantry robots I built, the customer had a copy. Huge annoyance tho!

Reformatted the drives and they worked perfectly. Still have them, but don't use the puter any more. Power supply took a dump.

My hard drives are cloned and have a Thermaltake gizmo. Plus a half dozen portable hard drives that I religiously copy stuff to.

Was going to post a link to the unit, but had a warning of a Trojan being blocked.

I logged in this morning and was reading the thread Cecil started about the upcoming Aquaculture conference, and got a warning about some malware being blocked. This site was the only thing opened this morning. I am seeing this more often going onto mfg and vendor sites.

Only cloud stuff I do is with Autodesk where I have very large CAD files I need to send to a customer that is too far away. Most times, we just give them a thumb drive.

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: skinnybass
google's chrome aps are pretty awesome. I dont think i would lose anything in event of a crash, since all of my files are either in drive, in chrome, or in the chrome drop box.

While for an entire business, you might have to invest in a larger package of applications, for my home use and for all of my freelance work, it is perfect.

Im actually looking into a chromebook as my next home computer, since everything i use is in the chrome system now anyways, I might as well save the up-front investment and make it official.

Most of our business clients are Microsoft shops and supporting them is how we make a living.

I am personally a Google/Android/Chrome devotee.

Bremer Pond Weather
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I recently lost everything. Do I have a backup this time? Well, no I don't but I do have good intentions.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Dwight
Most of our business clients are Microsoft shops and supporting them is how we make a living.

I am personally a Google/Android/Chrome devotee.

I hear that. Currently my company works out of adobe cq5, and im interviewing for another company using the same CMS. Thankfully, my current org is looking to upgrade to websphere, which is at least a little more sensible,and has a direct app system from google & endeca.

I cannot handle how sloppy the CQ system is (and as i understand it, somewhat close to what MS can provide). Drives me nuts. Just move to something that works already!

- -
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: esshup
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd rather have my data in hand rather than out there somewhere where someone *might* access it.

what's unfortunate is that having your data in hand doesn't make it any more secure than in the cloud. In reality, even with some anti spy or anti malware application, your home computer is as wide open (usually moreso) as any public application domain.

I trust google and amazon. If they couldn't or weren't willing to protect the data, their business model would break, and they wouldn't make any money off of it. One common complaint is that they get to research what kind of data you use if you trust them to keep it, and then use that information to refine their marketing goals and methods. However, they do that whether you want them to or not, so you really aren't stopping yourself from being Google et al's guinea pig by not taking advantages of their cloud services.

I digress.

- -

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM