Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,971
Posts558,067
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,553
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
10 members (Ibanez540r, ghdmd, Boondoggle, JoshMI, Angler8689, Jason D, Snipe, esshup, Brian from Texas, Sunil), 883 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Peepaw Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Growing big fish starts with growing lots of food to feed them. In order for the fry and forage fish to thrive and reproduce, they need mass amounts of food to develop and prosper.

The Pond Boss says: "Feed the Food" !!

http://www.fishiding.com/the-hangout-artificial-fish-habitat-fish-feeder/ artificial bait ball feeder

Attached Images
008.jpg
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I like this idea. Can you tell us more?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, dang good idea.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Peepaw, I'm not a great fan of artificial structure for various reasons, but this intrigues me. Strong work.

AL

P
Peepaw Offline OP
OP Offline
P
We feel it is going to fit a large hole in our habitat choices. I still am amazed that within 2.3 pounds of this feed bag of matrix holds a whopping 400 plus square feet of surface area. should be a slam dunk to hang under your dock to keep the family cleaning fish all year!
After a short time in the drink, entire Bait-ball will be a living smorgasboard of high energy food for your fish.

P
Peepaw Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Omaha
I like this idea. Can you tell us more?

These units can be tied togehter to form endless arrangements and sizes. Same matrix material as the Floating Islands which allows spray in foam to be added to create desired buoyancy.

The mid depth suspending habitat feeder is here.

Last edited by Peepaw; 01/24/13 01:59 PM.
A
A
Pee Paw-- Can you tell me what is in the bag you created to make the "bait ball" ? Is it just unused food that a person would compost ? I'm just curious on what could be used there that would last a while. Looks like a great idea.

P
Peepaw Offline OP
OP Offline
P
It's not food in the bag, rather food grows in and around the bag. The pieces of material inside the mesh bag are a dense, plastic fiber, similar to the consistency of a coarse steel wool pad. It will never decompose or rot. They come from the technology and manufacturing process of FTW's Floating Treatment Wetlands.

The food for the fish grows on the plastic and PVC fibers and limbs, starting with Bio film, Periphyton, algae and insects. This magic mix of nature's finest converts nutrients like Phosphorus and Nitrogen into this food. Another cool benefit is while it is feeding the fish using these unwanted, often excessive nutrients, it will clear and clean your water, without any chemicals.

Large scale water issues require large scale answers. These Floating Treatment Wetlands/Islands are being used all over the world to improve water quality and improve habitat. The more surface area installed, the faster the results can be seen. Circulation and aeration speed up the process.

Attached Images
fi4.jpg fi3.jpg
A
A
Ok that makes sense. So what could i use in the bag that wouldn't be expensive that would sustain growth? would old sponges or scrub sponges work? from having a backyard pond this would be similar to like bio balls or material used around the filter to add the natural bio elements? i guess anything would work to some extent?

Is the thing you pictured something that can be purchased or is it a homemade deal?

P
Peepaw Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I haven't thought of the sponges, I'll bet they will work great as well. Their safe, long lasting and have tons of surface area. String a few up and dangle them in the drink, I'll bet you see minnows around in no time. Our site has all the details.

A
A
i was checking out that side. i like all that stuff for sure. I can't afford any of it tho!! I'm more of a DIY. Hey I posted on the forum about existing ponds, i would like your thoughts there as well. Thanks sir!!

L
L
I would bet polyester stuffing like which is used in stuffed animals would work fairly well also. Available at craft shops. Mix that with some other heavier than water materials like crushed sandstone or activated charcoal would probably work fairly well. What would be intriguing is putting it together with a float so wave action would force water flow through it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
the concept is dynamite. i wonder if perhaps mixing in a bit of barley or straw or alfalfa would enhance the product even more?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
IMO the theory is very good, but the design is flawed. Floating islands succeed because the roots in the water column remain alive and growing with a loose weave with good water flow through the root matrix. The biofilm lives on the roots and small fish can hunt among the dangling roots. The roots and the biofilm absorb dissolved solids from the water. All key items for its success.

On the new bagged substrate design, the bag is packed too tightly with substrate, I think periphyton and associated invertebrates will live mostly on the outer or near outer surfaces. Most all the innner surfaces especially the subsurface and middle zones IMO will be wasted due to lack of water flow and over growth of the attached algae growths on the outer surfaces which are artificial. These surfaces will tend to readily clog and inhibit water movement throughout the bag.

In many waters that are plagued with filamentous algae, most of the growth on the bag will be FA which will create a mat on the outer surface. When that happens the inner matrix will receive too little light and too little water flow that will cause it to become unproductive and probably anoxic. How well this works in a pond will IMO be dependent on the nutrient regime in the pond. The nutrient composition in the pond will determine what grows on the bag surfaces.

I have done some stuff like this before and results were similar to those that I have described. If the material in the bag was spread out over a large area it would be much more productive and beneficial.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/02/13 08:58 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bill:

Would a design of a floating island with things hanging down be improved if the floating island was of sufficient diameter to keep the hanging substrate in complete shade 100% of the time, or would there still be sufficient sunlight to allow FA to grow?

It might be a non-issue in ponds that have sufficient numbers of Tilapia stocked.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
Peepaw Offline OP
OP Offline
P
All,

Actually, Bill might appreciate that diatom based periphyton functions under low light conditions, like those offered within the eight inch diameter coral/feeder bags. He's correct that biofilm, the basis of all forms of periphyton, will cycle more nutrients given circulation...which is why the interstitial spacing within the coral is as porous as it is.

Coral feeder matrix operates the same way floating islands do, and while plants add about 15 to 20% to their efficacy, the primary nutrient cycling factor in islands or coral feeder bags are biofilm generating microbes.

So whether it's a backyard eutrophied fish pond, or a stormwater pond, or a wastewater facility, these biofilm generators, given sufficient surface area and circulation, will out-compete free floating phytoplankton in their race for nutrients.

After a week or so, usually less, rub some of the film off of coral bags and look at it under a microscope to see what we are talking about. It's literally buzzing with zooplankton and other tiny micro invertebrates.

Watch what happens to the growth rates of fish that vector with biofilm and the diatoms that exist on it under low light conditions...like all forms of minnows. This translates to the ultimate health of both, your fishery and your waterway.

Last year, with no feeding program, Bruce harvested 210 pounds/acre of wild, organic, fish from Fish Fry Lake. And the water that left the lake on its way to the nutrient enriched dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico was at non detect levels for all forms of nitrogen. They also got most of the phosphorus out. This is important, folks, when you consider the off the chart growth in the rates of eutrophication.

We are very interested in hearing from others who track their waterway's water quality. We believe that fish harvest represents the ultimate best means by which to cycle nutrients out of water in most natural settings.

BioHaven products are all designed around this vision. Today half the lakes in the U.S. are marginal fisheries. We can have our water back!

Until you have seen, held and installed one of these in person, a picture can only tell so much. The first orders begin to ship on Monday!

Last edited by Peepaw; 02/03/13 07:11 AM.
P
Peepaw Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: n8ly
the concept is dynamite. i wonder if perhaps mixing in a bit of barley or straw or alfalfa would enhance the product even more?

This has already been thought of and in the mix. Great minds think alike Nate, good call.

We add a completely natural blend of diatom enhancing minerals...and I can guarantee that it's not being duplicated anywhere in the world. We do not add carbon, because it's rarely limiting, but we focus on all the key minerals that may be in short supply in some waterways. (per Bruce@FII)

Last edited by Peepaw; 02/03/13 07:02 AM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think the inner material in the bag would be much more productive if the material was in sheets or layers 2"-4" thick instead of 8" dia cylinders. This would allow optimum water flow among the substrates. In thinner layers would also allow small fish to feed more effectively on more of the surface areas rather than primarily on just the cylinder's outer walls. Set up as layers would also provide more cover/habitat for small fish.
I would like to see data as to the amount of nutrient absorption there is per cylindrical bag compared to thinner layered 'feeders". This sounds like a good senior or thesis project for a student subsidized by the Jesse West Foundation and "FISHIDING".

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:13 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
New pond stocking
by esshup - 04/30/24 10:41 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:17 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
Iris vs Pickerel