Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shorthose, rjackson, gehajake, catscratch), 1,003 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
GGB Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I'm still trying to control cattails, and have had the best results by spraying in the fall. But when I spray, I'm also killing some of the vegetation I'd prefer to keep. So I'm considering getting a weed wiper to have more control, and I'd probably find other places around the yard where I might use it. Does anyone have a recommendation for one?
GGB

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It's easy. Use "The Glove of Death".

Get a pair of dishwashing gloves, or go to the Co-op and get a pair of the gloves that they sell to wear when mixing pesticides/herbacides. They come up about half way up the forearm.

Slide a cotton glove over the rubber glove.

Mix up the herbacide of choice, and fill up a coffee can half way. Dip your gloved and protected hand in the herbacide, grab the cattail near the bottom and let it run thru your hand from base to tip. Work your way backwards so you aren't walking thru the treated cattails. Repeat as often as needed to keep the glove moist as you go thru the cattail patch.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
I'm thinkin if you're gonna go to all the trouble of handlin every one from bottom to top why not just pull them out? This has worked well for me in the past...an old tater fork works pretty well too. No pesticides or vet gloves either.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Scott that's a brilliant herbicide application method I kinda stumbled onto a similar version, but without the glove. I know...thankfully I'm done having kids anyhow.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I can't take credit for it. My sister works at J.F. New and that's how they control weeds that are growing amongst plants that they want to save.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Ghostown
I'm thinkin if you're gonna go to all the trouble of handlin every one from bottom to top why not just pull them out? This has worked well for me in the past...an old tater fork works pretty well too. No pesticides or vet gloves either.

That doesn't always work with plants that are well established with rhizomes. Many times the well established ones break off at the stem when you try to pull them out. Aditionally if any of the rhizome remains, new sprouts will come up in the near future. At least with a systemic herbicide you can kill the plant right down to the roots.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
I can't take credit for it. My sister works at J.F. New and that's how they control weeds that are growing amongst plants that they want to save.

What's your sister's name Scott? I just completed a technical proposal for the Northeastern Indiana Trout Association to reintroduce Rainbow smelt into the Oliver Lake Chain and cited quite a bit of work by JFNew. They did an awesome diagnostic study of the chain. I remember a few female names associated with JFNew on my sources cited page.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
PM sent.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
GGB Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I had forgotten about the "Glove of Death"! Thanks for the reminder-that will work well for keeping them under control.

But I might still need a weed wiper if my spraying last fall doesn't get the cattails back to a manageable level. Anyone have experiences with weed wipers they can recommend?

GGB

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
you can make your own. PVC pipe placed horizontally on a 4-wheeler. "T" vertically for a foot or so.

Cap horizontal ends.

Drill 1/16" holes every 6" in horiz. pipe.

Cover horiz. pipe with wooly fabric like is on the car wash gloves or mitts.

Attach to ATV, making sure it's sturdy and can't rotate. Have short "T" up.

Fill with herbicide that is approved for the plants you want to control, in the area that you want to control.

Adjust the height of the PVC and fill. Drive slowly thru the areas you want controlled. If no kill is observed in 2-3 weeks, double check holes and enlarge slightly, re-treating the area.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM