Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Theo Gallus, FishinRod, teehjaeh57, catscratch, Pat Williamson), 1,429 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I am fairly new to this site, so far it is very interesting to read. The idea of putting fertilizer in a pond has me wondering and not sure if I understand the entire point. Could someone explain what the "bloom" is and why we want such a thing? I assume this provides the food for the smallest fish and the whole thing kind of supports food for the largest fish somehow. I would appreciate event he most elementary explanation of this idea. Thanks.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Joe,

Adding fertilizer enriches the nutrient component of the pond/lake (phosphorous and nitrogen). These nutrients promote the growth of microscopic alga (plural for algae) which are called phytoplankton. When the phytoplankton grow and reproduce, the green tinge to the water is often called "the bloom". This microscopic plant material is then fed on my microscopic animals called zooplankton (rotifers, cladocerans, copepods, etc.). Then you begin moving right up the food chain. A properly fertilized pond can increase the carrying capacity of the pond (the number of fish) and cause faster and greater growth rates.

The rate of application varies. If you're interested in fertilizing your pond, I would recommend consulting with a biologist/consultant in your area. I'm in an agricultural community so I don't have to do much fertilizing. The run-off from the crop fields and the overall good fertility of our soils doesn't warrant extra fertilization.....at least where I'm located. This practice is definitely something that can help a good pond become a great pond. Good luck.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Fertilizer creates phytoplankton, microscopic plants and animals. They are the start of the food chain. They are green colored. They change the clarity of the water from clear to "cloudy". This is called the algae bloom. They also create oxygen during the daytime, from sunshine, and use it at night. Think of the word "holiostic" and you see that all parts of the chain must be represented and balanced.

Probably a lot better way of expressing this but it is the general idea.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
One other thought. Overfertilizing a pond can have disastrous effects. If you have a highly fertile pond and get 4 or 5 days of heavy clouds and no wind, the plankton base consumes more oxygen than normal resulting in a dissolved oxygen crash. The result is a fish kill that usually starts killing the largest fish first. I've had 2 of them and now am a very cautious fertilizer.

This is, I expect, why Shawn recommends checking with local authorities.

I
I
if and when you start fertilizing, i like the southern excellence buckets ...1 bucket for a couple acre pond i think...my pond is 7.5 acres and i put out about 3 buckets per month during season. easy, clean, and if things go hay wire you can take it out. happened to me one time after several cloudy days, came home from work and my pond had a milk color to it. pulled the buckets out and drove my boat with a 25 hp motor on it around the pond to aerate it the best i could. did fine. i'm waiting on getting my aeration system/diffusers soon. good luck, i think you'll love this site...get the books you can purchase on this site, they are a greeaaattt help. plus, these guys on here are sharp...and willing to help us wanna be pondmeisters!!! have fun, keep us posted on your pond. mark williams

I
I
shawn, thanks for the info. also, looked at your profile, and excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a "fish squeezer" ?!! is it basically a variation of a "tree hugger" meaning you love fish?!!! mark

J
JoeG Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Thanks for clearing things up a bit guys, I don't think I will be trying the fertilizer trick just yet, I have lots of work to do before I get to that point, but I understand things better now. Hey Shawn, you and I have consecutive member numbers, cool!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
My official job title is fisheries management biologist. Fish heads and fish squeezers are just a few of the names we're called by others. Most of the slang terms aren't appropriate to post on this forum:) I do like fish, but not enough to hug them although I did kiss a 69 lb flathead one time. When off the clock, I mostly like to filet and fry them. When on the clock, I try to figure out what's going on within a lake.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
joe, most northern ponds get plenty from either creeks or runoff from fields,like shawn said, every time i get big rain my pond turns green from just runoff , great for the pond and fish , but i hate it lol, takes week or so to clear back up , if your getting runoff to fill the pond i wouldn't worry bout it.

i only wanted to have some fun
J
J
I know about fertilization of a pond, but when are the seasons? My pond is soooooo clear right now that I have algae growing in 5 - 6 feet of water. I am in East Texas. Is it too late to fertilize this year. I have plenty of grass around the edges to hide feeder fish and now the algae/moss is nearly completely covering the bottom of the pond. I can fish with top waters only. Yes, this is a spring fed lake.

Haulin Bass in East Tx
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
It's too late to fertilize this year. Fertilizer works when water temps are 60 degrees and rising. Even though you could probably get a bloom right now, it feeds nothing, and helps little. We are at the end of the growing season. Wait until spring.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Bob I guess you knew the temp in east TX is below 60. I just fertilized 6 ponds today b/c surface temps were 69-74. JOMO I would not fertilize b/c of another reason...you currently have weeds and algae.

Bob and others I guess I wanted to ask why I have heard it is good for one last fertilizer app. prior to the fall. I have some ideas but I guess I should have been more strongly questioning this pratice. I have heard it from several reputable sources...
any info good/bad anyone?

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Greg I checked a post from last year this is the week we stoped feeding the fish in 2002. Sure is different this year my fish are still eating like it's July!

J
J
Thanks guys. Now that I know not to fertilize now, Is it safet to assume that I should start fertilizing in the spring when the water temp gets up to 60? Is there a standard ratio fert I should use or do I need to test the water somehow?

Haulin Bass in East Tx
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
99% of ponds require a high phosphorus (middle number). Yes start in the spring when temps reach a steady 60-65. It will require several applications. I prefer a water soluble somehting like 12-52-4 b/c it can be simply cast into the pond unlike other types. Also good idea to check your alkalinity if below 20 ppm lime this fall so it will improve for next fertilizer season.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM