Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts558,000
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fishingadventure, Cliff76169, jmartin, JasonInOhio, Sunil, FishinRod, Deancutler, JoshMI, Joe7328), 1,421 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Don't get the cheap water based stuff tho!

I doubt you will find a high quality Epoxy for concrete floors in a big box store!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Correct. Pay attention to the % of solids content. More is better. Do research on line then find who sells the stuff that you want. DON'T mix up a big batch the first time.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is there a special kind of epoxy for concrete?

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
R
R
Originally Posted By: djstauder
Is there a special kind of epoxy for concrete?

Try this: http://www.epoxy-coat.com/

-RFL

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Looks like it'll cost me about $900 for 2000 sq. ft.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
If this is a future project, keep in mind that there are different types of concrete for outdoor vs. indoor use, and a host of additives that will affect the outcome of both mixes.

Also make sure that the finisher knows that you will be epoxy coating the floor.....you don't want, or need a "slick" finish for a future epoxy coating, and you absolutely don't want a sealer applied, which is fairly common on indoor concrete.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes I have even seen it stained to match an oak floor then coated.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
sprkplug, Is concrete sealing similar to epoxy coating?

eric, you are saying concrete can be stained then epoxied?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
There are so many things that can be done to concrete you need an expert to know all the possibilities. I have seen it colored and coated to look somewhat like a wood floor. Not sure about the products specifics.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
There are epoxy concrete sealers, but not all of them are....lots of times sealers are used to give a "slick" finish to the concrete's surface, and it can also prevent water from absorbing into the concrete, and make cleaning the floor, even running a dust mop over top of it, much easier.

The problem lies in the types of sealers.... a transparent sealer is used where the beauty of the concrete is to be emphasized, such as exposed aggregate. If you want the sealer itself to be the finish, then there are epoxy coatings that will both seal, and cover the concrete.

Most times, once a transparent sealer is used, very little else will adhere to it....and it can be quite slippery, especially when wet.

Talk to your finisher, and tell him/her what you want.... they can recommend a product that will do exactly what you expect.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Originally Posted By: Tums
Originally Posted By: Zep
or would it be cheaper just to let the thieves grab them easy and let insurance pay for the replacements?

Just so you know I had an employee that last year had his insurance canceled after his 3rd claim (guns & TV's stolen on 3rd claim). He Said it cost him alot more to get new insurance also.

Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Tums is right. I had trees fall on my house 3 different times over a 3 year span. The company that insured this house and every other house, building, & business that I had bought over a 35 year period canceled my home insurance because I had 4 claims - the 4th "claim" was when someone broke a window out of my car and stole a computer. When I called my agent she said don't file a claim because it might effect your insurance. So I didn't, but they still said this was a "claim" and so the records showed I had four claims and the &*%$#@#@s cancelled my homeowners. Naturally, I told them to %^&$#@#$*^% and cancelled them. It was much harder and more expensive to get new homeowners insurance when I bought my new house.

Being a recipient of the vast amount of information and advice you all graciously offer on PB, maybe now I can be a contributor. It's on the exciting subject of insurance but pertains to us all, especially for those who don't reside on their land.

Tums and Rmedgar are both correct on the cancellation of policies with multiple claims and the frustration of dealing with that, let alone finding a new carrier.

I have 25+ years in the business and I'm not writing in defense of the insurance industry, but merely to offer some insight from their perspective and the direction they've taken (or changed) from past years. There's many aspects of this business I don't agree with but hey, I'm a just small fish in a big pond (pun intended).

1.Homeowners insurance is an unprofitable line for all carriers. They just can't charge enough compared to claim-dollars paid out. This is why it's becoming increasingly difficult (and expensive) to insure just a home without other supporting lines (auto, life, etc.), or if you've had previous losses. I know I wouldn't want to sell a product that I know I'm going to lose money on!

2. This industry thrives on statistics! For one, once a person files a claim, their likelyhood (statistically) increases to file another, therefore in the insurance company's eyes the risk has increased as well. "Frequency and severity" is another major factor, So even if you've filed 3 claims with nothing covered or paid out, it can/will still count against you (frequency issues).

3. "Matching price to risk" is the biggest turnaround/change I've seen over the past 5-7 years, mainly due to the vast amount of data available to insurers. Past/previous losses for the individual and/or the property being insured and many other factors including credit history are taken into account. If a property has been burglarized, vandalized, suffered wind/hail damage, etc., especially more than once, they already consider it a higher risk.

There's so much more I could write about, that is relative to pond and landowners (and homeowners) but this is getting long enough already. I've written to Bob regarding a class I recently attended on meth-lab cleanup regarding damages and cleanup costs and how it relates especially to unoccupied landowners, to see if he felt it would be appropriate to post here. He said he would do some research and possibly write about it in an upcoming issue of PB. Once a meth-lab has been discovered, from initial quarantine to the [chemical] contamination cleanup and the costs (consider your HVAC, drains, septic, grounds, pondwater contaminations, etc.), it's absolutely shocking!

So on the issue of security, consider the costs and consequences of filing insurance claims, cancelled policies and possibly a meth-lab cleanup issue which may NOT be covered.

I know there's only so much we can do, but in addition to a very loud siren I would consider a system (motion, doors, windows, etc.) that reports to a centralized station (like ADT), police or sheriff. Getting someone there ASAP is critical to preventing what could be a catastrophic loss.

I know we don't want a monthly monitoring bill, or to spend $500 for cameras, or $1,000, or more,,, but what could be the cost if we don't?

Sorry this got so long,

Keith

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
PM sent

AL

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Insurance agents can mess things up a bit.

For a while, I lived in Big Rapids, MI and had filed 3 claims. One was a total shocked

Problem is, I never lived there!

Gal at the agency transposed someone elses stuff in my profile.

The original insurance agency could not fix this for anything. I don't even think they tried!

Cathy, at my new, but old agency, had it fixed within a couple hours.

Go Cathy!!! grin

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Quote:
Being a recipient of the vast amount of information and advice you all graciously offer on PB, maybe now I can be a contributor. It's on the exciting subject of insurance but pertains to us all, especially for those who don't reside on their land.

Thanks, Keith! Very interesting.

I can't argue with that JKB! Go Cathy!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/28/24 09:32 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM