Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
This is probably the wrong forum for this post, but trust the feedback of my Pond Boss family...

Need recommendations for a cordless drill. Will use is sparingly - certainly not everyday. Appreciate your feedback in advance!

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There are so many good ones, it would be hard to make a recommendation. At a minimum, I would get a 14.4 volt unit, and preferably an 18 volt unit. I personally have a Hitachi 18 volt 3/8 drill with extra batteries. I've had this one for two years, and it, and the batteries, have held up very well.

This link may be of some assistance. Cordless Drill Ratings

The big box stores like Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards, plus Costco, all have good units. I'd stay away from the homeowner big box store units.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I like Milwaukee cordless tools..... not the cheapest, but they're good stuff. I agree on the voltage...no less than 14.4

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thanks Cat. Thinking of maybe going for one of the combos with an impact driver, too. Probably can't go wrong with Makita, Milwaukee or Dewalt...

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Do not get dewalt. I've gave them many chances there junk.. My next cordless tool kit will be Milwaukee

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
I bought a ryobi kit in 2008. 18 volt lithium with impact driver too...used the heck out of it since building docks, bridges piers and workin on the house and sheds. Lasts long and recharges quick...the only tool that shot craps was the flashlight. Usually cheaper than the others...just my 2 cents...

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Get 18 or 24v if you can find it. I vote to get an extra battery no matter what, because even it you dont use it often, the day you do, you will wish you had the second battery.

Get out and fish.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Here's a tip: Replacement batteries for cordless tools can cost almost as much as the device itself. Interstate batteries delivers to me every couple of weeks, and when my batteries start failing to hold a charge, I send the original manufacturer's batteries in to them....they diassemble them, and replace the cells. Good as new, still in the oem packaging, and lots cheaper.

Lunker
Lunker
Unfortunately Dewalts ain't what they once were.
TJ you are wise to go with a combo with an impact driver. They are far superior to a drill for driving screws.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jakeb
I vote to get an extra battery no matter what, because even it you dont use it often, the day you do, you will wish you had the second battery.

Ain't that the truth!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've still have a Makita that I bought at least 20 years ago. Only problem is the reverse doesn't work anymore and I've been told it's so old I probably can't get it fixed. I probably dropped it too many times. LOL I have replaced the battery once.

When I buy another one it will also be a Makita.

I've using a $20.00 cordless drill that my dad picked up at one of the big box stores for reverse in the mean time. Normally I'm not a price shopper of the lower quality the Chinese junk but my dad gave it to me so I'll use it.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/07/12 12:38 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I have both Milwaukee and Dewalt, both 18V. Used every day by employees for a number of years. All still work great, which is surprising due to some of the temp guys.

Only thing I don't like about the Milwaukee is the replacement battery price. It's ridiculous, but they do last quite long.

Dewalt's have pretty good torque, and battery life, as far as how old it is, is really good. Battery run time between charges is pretty poor compared to Milwaukee, but swapping batteries is quick.

On the really down side with Dewalt. The keyless chuck is junk! If you use a drill to run tap's in steel, forget it! Besides, they rust up pretty bad when exposed to humidity. The clutch is a bit funky also.

The crappy chuck is the reason why I'll never buy another one.

I would buy a 20 year old Milwakee 12V if I could find one. Best tool I've ever owned. Light and fit's your hand like a glove.

Hitachi's batteries are awful. Parked 3 after I spent more on batteries than the tools.

All my new stuff is Dewalt, and I've been very pleased with it. But, I bought them because Texas Tool Traders is a service center, and handle out of warranty, and in warranty work at the counter.

I tend to buy tools/appliances now based on the best local repair options.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Since you mentioned impact, we also have a whole bunch of Poter-Cable impact and hammer drills that serve us very well. They are just plain tough.

As I said above, the big box professional lines are all very good. The stores that sell these lines can't afford to sell inferior products.

I'm also probably more fortunate than most, as I have a friend who does the analysis and buying for one of the big box industrial stores.

Unless you are buying from the bottom of the line from consumer outlets, I think you will end up with a good kit.

Go luck,
Ken

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
All very nice, high quality tool suggestions. If I was a contractor and/or did work for a living that demanded a cordless drill or related, I would follow the noted advice.
I'm not a contractor, nor do I have the budget to own the best of all the woodworking tools in my arsenal. In order to own a woodworking arsenal, I have to take the middle of the road for many/most of them. Ryobi is my middle of the road for cordless drills. Specifically, the plus-one lineup. It is 18v, relatively cheap, readily avail at Homey, and been the only cordless drill I have used to build every one of my projects; including the garage/apartment project. Plenty of power, reliable, dropped it from the ladder many times and still ticking, and has dozens of other tools that operate from the exact same battery. The best starter kit would be something like a bonus special at Homey: drill, 2 batts, charger, worklight, 5.5" circular saw, sawzall, carry bag. Homey usually has this outfit for $130 - $150. Christmas specials will be comin, too.
Tip: regardless of your choice, make sure you know the cost of the replacement batt's.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Again, check with your local Interstate Batteries store... they will usually rebuild your existing battery packs for less money than buying new...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Tip: regardless of your choice, make sure you know the cost of the replacement batt's.

That is really important. Generally, we do not replace most batteries. Instead, we replace the equipment, and get the newest batteries. In most cases, the batteries cost almost as much as the equipment.

As a rule -- and, this really goes against my tree-hugging and green instincts -- but, don't buy used equipment with worn out batteries. In most cases, replacements will cost as much as newer and better equipment with better chargers and newer battery technology. This goes for saws, drills, etc.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I'm also probably more fortunate than most, as I have a friend who does the analysis and buying for one of the big box industrial stores.

What is a big box industrial store? Hope it was not one I booted out for totally inferior products. Junk from China eek

Pretty sure, I know who Ken is talking about.

Can I get one of these from them, really, really cheap?

A drill bit that don't bend when light pressure is applied, would be a good thing laugh

Last edited by JKB; 11/06/12 06:44 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
One last thing -- I'm not anywhere near as as antique as my good friends Dave D, or George, but ...

To me, these are cordless drills ...

And, then there are these wonderful cordless screwdrivers ...

No charging necessary, except for a good breafast.

What has this younger world come to??? cry

When I die, and our kids auction the farm, I wonder if anyone will know about all these wonderful "cordless" devices.

Hopefully, these crazy things will end up hanging on walls, much like those things we enjoy seeing when we visit today's Cracker Barrell restaraunts -- and, that we explain to our grandkids.

Ken

Sorry for the hijack TJ -- just another senior moment reminsicing about the good old days, that were pretty good, but maybe not all that good.

In any case, life is still really good as long as you have lots of crazy friends.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ken, I have a brace and a bunch of bits but seldom use it unless I'm down in an area where I can't use a drill motor. Most people look at me like I'm nuts because they have never seen or used one.

My "Yankee" got stolen years ago and I haven't found a replacement.

I recently had a sprinkler system installed and the guys needed to check the depth. They couldn't find their tape measure and so I handed them my old time folding carpenter ruler(called a rule). They looked at it and had no idea what it was. I had to demonstrate.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Geeze Dave. I'm down to one Yankee -- which I still use regularly. If I somehow find one at at an auction, or elsewhere, I'll grab it and send it to you.

I still use my braces and bits regularly. It may be because I'm old, cheap, and I have a lot of bits. But, when doing things like retaining walls, docks, or borders, I can bore a 1/2-inch hole through double 8x8s or double rail ties, way faster, and without a battery change,than I can with a battery operated drill motor. These are truly cordless drills.

I just need a good breakfast before starting one of these projects.

Old Ken

I have to weigh in on this one, I broke down last year and bought the dewalt combo drill,driver, sawzaw and light 18v It was a price issue. I am happy with it. I built my whole deck with it. The driver is the (POOP!) LOL didn't want to get in trouble. The key is, I know on dewalt the charger never shuts off. So after the light quits flashing you need to remove batteries then. Don't leave on charger. If you have trouble like me remembering, use a timer. The batteries loose a lot of life if you just leave on the charger all the time. Now as far as the new Ion batteries I don't know anything on them.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Frozengator
I have to weigh in on this one, I broke down last year and bought the dewalt combo drill,driver, sawzaw and light 18v It was a price issue. I am happy with it. I built my whole deck with it. The driver is the (POOP!) LOL didn't want to get in trouble. The key is, I know on dewalt the charger never shuts off. So after the light quits flashing you need to remove batteries then. Don't leave on charger. If you have trouble like me remembering, use a timer. The batteries loose a lot of life if you just leave on the charger all the time. Now as far as the new Ion batteries I don't know anything on them.

I bought the same thingonly thing that still works is the driver and batteries, i actually leave mine on the charger all the time, I don't know if my charger is a smart charger but it has the battery maintenance mode which I use almost every time.. Sawzall you can hold the blade and pull the trigger and keep if from moving back and forth, the drill has absolutely no clutch left in it you can hold it with 2 fingers on the highest setting and it will just click, light only works when your slamming it off your hand because it won't stay on..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I use the Ryobi 18 volt as well as GhostTown albeit without the Lithium. It works well with no issues. The batteries only last a couple of years, tho, in my experience but I bet that is true of all batteries stored in the heat.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
J
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Here's a tip: Replacement batteries for cordless tools can cost almost as much as the device itself. Interstate batteries delivers to me every couple of weeks, and when my batteries start failing to hold a charge, I send the original manufacturer's batteries in to them....they diassemble them, and replace the cells. Good as new, still in the oem packaging, and lots cheaper.

That's good as long as the batteries do not contain Lithium. No one wants to work with Lithium b/c it is highly reactive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward