Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,990
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, catscratch, Bobbss, Sunil, jmartin, RAH), 1,167 guests, and 386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#307587 09/26/12 01:25 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I have found a creek where I can get a large number of them. They look just like small cherrystone saltwater clams. I got about 200 of them in about 45mins. Will they be good to add to my pond?

The main thing with these clams is that they reproduce like crazy and they do have an aversion to colder water. So, their population can vary widely.

Redear sunfish will eat them. Channel catfish will eat them. Crayfish will eat them.

You also have to consider that they are filter feeders too. I know that the introduction of some species, like zebra mussels, to non native waters have caused problems by making water too clear.

Overall, I believe, that if you want to introduce a species of clam into your pond you should try to find some fingernail clams. They stay smaller, have softer shells, and make a better meal for the fish in your pond as they never get too large to be eaten.

Reality is constantly ruining my life.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Cody, we have extensively discussed them in the past on here. Check this thread out: http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post158752 Greatwhiteape may have already read this thread and was able to give you the cliff notes to it.

I didn't read that thread CJ, but I have done extensive research...hours and hours of reading boring studies done by almost every state DNR and studied the general information out there about various species that I had considered for possible forage.

I am going to read that thread now though.

One more thought on it is that they are an invasive species. They are already in your area, but by putting them in your pond you may inadvertently introduce them to other bodies of water through your outflow.

C
OP Offline
C
Now I'm more confused then when I started. My pond is a valley pond and when I get a lot of rain I get a overload of nutrients washed in from storm drainage. After large rain I get FA blooms. Sounds like they may help filter my water half decent. RES are next to impossible to find in my area but I do have pumpkin seeds and CC. My ponds alil over half acre. I think I'm going to try it I took pictures of them today I will post them tommorow.

R
RER Offline
R
I put a gallon bucket full of them in my pond two summers ago, never to be seen again. I think my koi might have wiped them out...or perhaps the shell crushing sheeps head in the pond....I think Ill try again.....

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: greatwhiteape
One more thought on it is that they are an invasive species. They are already in your area, but by putting them in your pond you may inadvertently introduce them to other bodies of water through your outflow.

If you read the original thread, I mention they are invasive and to be careful about that, both legally and ethically. However, the pond I stocked them in flows into a creek that already has them... Exactly how am I am going to spread them? Once Asiatic clams are in a watershed, they spread throughout it rather quickly.

C
OP Offline
C
My pond does not drain into any other water ways, when It reaches the over flow it drains into corn fields. Will they cut back on my nutrient overload?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I have some sort of mussel in one of our ponds, but they do not keep it clear. Now should they do so, not sure as I have not done much research as to what type of mussel they are but if they stay small for a while maybe RES will eat them, but some of them I have would have to be eaten by CC, and I have never see that happen yet. May have to try one as bait some time to see.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The verdict is still out as to how and if Asiatic clams affect water quality/clarity.

Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Exactly how am I am going to spread them? Once Asiatic clams are in a watershed, they spread throughout it rather quickly.

My comment was meant for Cody and his situation not you and yours. I should have been more specific.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
May 15, 2012. Not sure if this is Guv BS because a previous map about the actual spread of Zebra, was much more wide spread.

This morning I ran into a guy that looked like he needed a serious shower and a more serious change of cloths.

He jumped into a green ford van towing an aluminum boat with a few gizmos, but not fancy wink and it said USGS. He was digging into a cooler on the north wall and scooped up a bunch of those energy drinks for breakfast. I usually stop by and get me a couple V8's in the morning.

Suppose that's the way it is in this situation. Could have been a guy with a rap sheet with PHD's as long as your arm, but I doubt it wink

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I doubt that a high density of filtering clams will cut back on a nutrient overload. In fact the "clams" may contribute to more dissolved nutrients as high numbers of zebra mussels are suspected to be doing in Lake Erie. Manure from mussels is probaly quite fertile containing soluable nutrients sourced from rapidly decaying plankton and detritus.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/27/12 06:48 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
K
K
Are these Asian clams the ones that are in south west Fla.? Divers will put out a piece of rope and it will load up in days. They are regarded as the best clam down there. I will try them the next time I am down there.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I think they were just a bump in the road when all the bells and whistles went off, and when finally accepted, are just part of the landscape.

It happens.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Kenc, these are different. This species doesn't attach to things.

K
K
Travis, the clams in SWfl. have the same shape but a more yellow color. They are taken by divers looking for crabs and lobster. According to the internet Asian are all over Fl. We will go down there in the next few weeks, so I will try to get some pictures for you.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yes, the clams can be anywhere from nearly black to almost white. They are usually a shade of yellow with some darker brown areas.

K
K
What would cause mussels to come out of water? At the pond today we were working around dock and saw 2 live mussels on bank and 4 more close to shore. We put them in front pond as I had no luck getting them with a clam rake. We have never seen a live mussel but there are lots of shells around the back pond.

JKB, I was looking at your map. I seen were they eradicated the zebra mussle in a couple spots. How did they go about that?????

K
K
Travis, good to see you back on forum. Can you answer question of mussel on bank this weekend? Take care.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves