Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver
18,525 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,006
Posts558,422
Members18,525
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,596
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
5 members (Boondoggle, phinfan, Theo Gallus, Ponderific2024, Bill Cody), 979 guests, and 187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
One of my favorite catfish ponds was also stocked with green sunfish.It was so easy to catch these fish, it could even be done with a bare hook. They were all small, from 2-4 inches but there were hundreds of them. Then someone stocked 20 LMB I know it was 20 because that someone was me. The next year the bass fishing was good. The year after that there was so many small LMB you could catch them off just a bare hook. I figured this was just a dissaster. It seemed so right in the beginning, Ireally thought the greenies would keep the LMB under control. Now you cannot even catch a greenie, the bass pop has leveled off some. Now it is mostly very healthy looking 1 1/2 to 2 pound bass with the seldom 3 pounder. Are the greenies still there, do I need to add bg , how could that have happened to so many green sunfish. Could they have been hybrids, which dont reproduce as much ?

J
J
How big is this pond? LMB are absolutely amazing predators. They can quickly control an overpopulated species.

I have heard mixed reports on the spawning potential of green sunfish. Most first hand accounts indicate they do not spawn as prolifically as BG. Also the adults are smaller. These two factors would lead me to believe a healthy LMB population can really limit the GSf population, perhaps even eliminate it in time. That is generally considered a good thing. Therefore the safe bet is to add some adult BG.

It also sounds like it may be time to remove some adult LMB.

Good Luck

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Classic GSF control situation, one everyone ought to bookmark to refer to whenever the owner of a GSF infested pond asks "Do I have to renovate?"

As your experience has shown, jw, LMB will eat and outcompete GSF in most ponds. It sounds like the LMB have (virtually) eliminated the GSF and the only small fish the large LMB have left to eat are there own young. If you want to concentrate on bass or balanced fishing in this pond, stocking (adult) BG would be the thing to do. BG produce enough spawn, more than GSF can, to provide forage for the LMB and a sustainable population for themselves.

If you want to continue to use it primarily for catfishing, you could stock more cats (large enough to escape bass predation) and feed them. I think that in addition to the cats you stock, it will continue to have a stunted bass population with a couple/few lunkers at the top of the foodchain. Maybe the larger cats will eat some of the smaller bass as well.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
This all makes sense but then why do they sell GSF? Could the fact I stocked 20 adalt bass be part of the reason they over populated so quickly?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
JW, I have never heard of anyone either purposely buying or selling green sunfish. In my case, I'm pretty sure they came inadvertently mixed with my bluegill stockers.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
JW - 20 bass the size you stocked could easily eat 160 pounds of GSF per year. Keep in mind that the catfish will also be eating a bunch of greenies per year. There are around 64 3" GSF/lb and if 4" long 30 per pound. This calculates to be 4,800 - 10,240 GSF 3"-4" long eaten by your 20 bass per year. No wonder the greenies dissappeared.

I assume you mean bass overpopulated. Once the bass thinned down the GSF a high percent of the bass fry survived due to low numbers of GSF. If you only have basically larger bass (14"-18") present they pretty much ignore fish smaller than 1"-1.5". HIgh survival of juvenile bass quickly leads to overabundance.

I have a hatchery near me that sells GSF. He sell a fair number to universities for eye research. There is something special about their eye.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
So if this pond had been stocked with BG would this have happened, or would the results have been more like I was hoping for when I stocked the bass?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Left alone together (LMB & BG), the LMB will usually overpopulate and stunt. BUT there will still be BG left, typically very large and very small ones.

Did that answer your question, jw?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
yes , thank you

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Dave, I'm betting you are old enough to remember \:\) Back in the day, GSF (a.k.a. goggle-eye) were often sold as baitfish. They were the ultimate trot-line fish, Huge Flatheads couldn't resist (by the way, where has Big_Pond been?) It's often stated here that GSF are preferred by LMB too for their shape...but, I'm pretty sure they like the "soft" body for swallowing. Maybe we're dealing with different varieties of GSF, but the ones I catch are always "squishy" \:\)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Eastland, to this day, I still think Green sunfish are a beautiful fish. Green sunfish were plentiful and were good kid magnets. We used them whole and for cut bait. Of course, in those days, before I got PB educated, they were perch or bream.

BTW, I still love rock bass.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
FOOTCUSH, MikeyBoy, rick fisherman
Recent Posts
BG sex?
by FishinRod - 05/11/24 09:53 PM
Forest Pond in the White Mountains
by FishinRod - 05/11/24 09:47 PM
curly leaf infestation
by Bill Cody - 05/11/24 08:40 PM
Frustrated
by Theo Gallus - 05/11/24 08:18 PM