Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,020
Posts558,576
Members18,537
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fishingadventure), 570 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Auratas Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello, I have an 1/10 acre pond (about 12 feet deep) and we had a winter kill about 5 years ago. The next summer we added a dozen gold fish from a bait store and now have hundreds of goldfish, as well as a couple turtles.
I have been lurking and have been thinking about adding some bluegill and possibly a few bass and/or catfish. My wife likes the goldfish, but she doesn't care if I add some predator fish and their numbers plummet. I primarily want a fun little fishing hole for my young girls and I to enjoy. I don't have an aerator, but do run a fountain that converts in winter to keep the hole in the ice to prevent another winter kill. I was wondering what I should stock and what numbers for such as small pond? I also was wondering if anyone had any experience with D.N.I. Fish Farm in WV? They are the closest to me. Thanks for your comments.

A
A
At 1/10 of an acre your pond may be too small to have a successful bass fishery

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Can you post a picture of your pond?
The bass will love the goldfish.
Do you have much aquatic vegetation?
Would you consider enlarging pond?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you can get single sex LMB, you could stock a dozen of the same sex.

You could also stock a couple dozen CC, a small number(around) 5 HSB and a hundred or so HBG and feed them.

A
Auratas Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I cannot enlarge the pond as it sets on a hillside and our home and driveway set too near the pond.
I don't have much aquatic vegetation. There is a little grass creeping in on one corner of the pond, but it is actually above the water level now because we have been pretty dry here lately.
What kind of feeding program do you recommend?

Attached Images
Auratas Pond 1.jpg
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I would go with CJ's recommendations or at least a variation of it. HBG, CC, HSB, and if it were me with a small bucket feeder and some Game Fish Chow or Aquamax. I would throw in some FHM right now if it were me maybe a pound or two they would probably start spawning pretty quick.

Then again I would probably add (not recommended by others I am sure) 1 of each crappie, LMB, SMB, Drum, Gar, or any other local fish you have that is not illegal to stock. Now this would not be recommended by most, that is just something I would do if I had a small pond at my house, just to see how the 1 fish is doing if you ever caught it again, plus if it ever got to a size you wanted to keep you could take it and add another if you would like, at least this way you would not have to worry about them spawning.

I hope to get my hands on a few drum soon to add to my pond anyway just to see what happens. I was going to try an experiment with them, but since the pond is not void of fish like we had thought and I do not want to kill it off I will just have to wait on this for now.

Good luck with your venture and keep us posted on what you decide to do?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
My first concern is depth. Is 12' deep in a 0.1 ac pond by actual measure? Have you measured the true depth lately with a rope and brick? A 60'X60' pond has to have very steep sides greater than 2.5:1 to be 12'deep and not have the bottom a V. If it is 12' deep your chances of a fish kill are again very good using only a fountain for aeration. Most fountains only mix the top 4'-6' of the warm layer of water and leave the deeper water without oxygen and developing toxic hydrogen sulfide. If the pond is over 7ft deep invest in a cheaper homemade style of bottom aerator.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=245867#Post245867

Others have provided several workable ideas or options for stocking additional fish into the pond. Consider stocking some just male BG or other single sex fish. BG are one of the easiest fish to accurately determine male & female esp during non-spawning time.

For some information about recognizing the difference between male and female BG, read, study and learn from this thread:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=286856&page=1

Many times the BG needs to be a full 7" or 8" long to usually detrermine the sex.
Keep in mind that the overall body hue or darkness of colors can vary widely from pond to pond due to water color and bottom composition. BG tend to have most vidid body colors and markings tend to darkest during spawning season. Gill flap or ear lob does not change shape during the seasons. Thus the gill flap will be the same size and shape in winter as summer. As the BG gets larger the gill flap increses in size proportional to an increase in body size. I can almost always recognize a male BG by the size & shape of the gill flap and the dark tiped scales of the nape (forehead). Sometimes these dark tipped scales extend back and down across the male's body as in the 1st picture by B.Condello in the link above. Compare the dark tipped scale pattern of fish in the 1st and last BG picture in the thread. Sometimes the overall body hue of the male with be so dark that the dark tipped scales are not readily apparent. This usually occurs in clear, brown or tannin stained water.

You can check what you have learned for sexing BG by posting a picture your B and a guess as to male or female. Once you are confident of your opinions you can catch several males from a local pond and add them to your pond.
You also need to be able to recognize a green sunfish and not put them in your pond. Sorry to JHAP & GSA members.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/15/12 10:45 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
Stocking a new 17 acre, 25 ft deep pond in KC, MO
by fletchccc - 05/20/24 11:12 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by Fishingadventure - 05/20/24 07:17 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Fish Finder?
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 04:03 PM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 03:50 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
BG sex?
by Bill Cody - 05/16/24 08:50 PM
Newly Uploaded Images