Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, KiwiGuy, teehjaeh57, phinfan, Boondoggle, x101airborne, lafarmpondguy), 814 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I have looked at many pictures on here (and also on the net) of different minnows, trying to make sure of what I have here.... I think I have a good idea of what they are but I wanted to ask the "experts" wink just to make sure!! Thanks!!
(This is my first time posting a picture... I have a Mac and its giving me a fit... I will keep trying after I post this if the picture is not showing... sorry in advance for my ignorance!! lol

Attached Images
minnow2012.jpg
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Welcome to Pond Boss April. Where did you trap or catch this fish? To this untrained eye, it almost looks like a creek chub. But they shouldn't be in a pond unless you intentionally stocked them there.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I was going to say chub also, but just a guess on my part, not at all an educated opinion.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Is this better April wink

Siding on the Chub theory myself.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Chub or Dace?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

OP Offline
I posted another pic of another small fish a few minutes ago and told the story of how I am getting these on that post but I will put it here too... I do have a spring fed pond in the back yard.. The spring has A LOT of water coming out of it and after hitting the pond and going through the over-flow pipe it makes a small "creek" that runs through the rest of our land and continues on down through a large subdivision that borders the back of our property. My son and I have 3 minnow traps that we set in the creek to catch minnows and crawdads... My Daddy's fishing/golfing buddies "buy" what Russell traps.... He's 4 and he thinks he's big stuff catching this stuff for these guys... Lol..... Anyway, I have a small per-formed plastic pond (the kind people use for decorative ponds) in my greenhouse and we keep anything we catch in our traps in this small pond until one of the guys place an order! Lol... I thought they were chubs too and that's what my Daddy also said... But I was just wanting to get others input.... Thanks!! I love this website!! It may cause me to get a divorce though!! Lol... My husband has already started in on me about being on here ALL the time!! Oh, well, that would just free up more time for me to be on here or more time to go fishing!! wink

OP Offline
JKB!! It is!! Do you have a Mac?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
No Mac. Hp workstation class with XP Pro.
Gotta split now. Debugging a Roller Coaster at first light tomorrow.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
April --

Welcome to Pond Boss. We are a friendly bunch, and many of us are pond and fish addicted. But, in my many years here, I don't know of the site causing any divorces!

Small fish like that are kind of hard to ID. I would agree that it is a chub or dace, and most likely a river chub .... but,

The Virginia Tech fish ID library is really good. If somebody here can't tell from the photo, you might get a little info by looking at this site: Virginia Tech Virtual Aquarium

This seems like a really great inspirational project for your son. Many of us got started similarly.

Regards,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
OP Offline
Catmandoo, there's a first time for everything!! Lol... Joking... I have been a "troll" on here for a while now, I'm ashamed to say... But this year has been a bad year for my pond, pond weeds and FA have been kicking my butt... So i decided to join... I have talked to Mr. Taylor about getting some tilapia! I'm so excited, we are supposed to meet up sometime next week so I can get them!! You guys are very friendly and I have learned a lot from all the info on here!!
As far as Russell goes, yes, it is awesome that he enjoys us setting those traps... He loves it!! I love it too for more selfish reasons, the main one being that it gives me a chance to be outside fooling around with the pond and stuff... I'm glad he'd rather be out there with me than inside on the couch watching cartoons!!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It is a creek chub April. They are common in your area and fit the habitat you describe. No other species match up with the photo, though some are similar. Because of mouth size, you limit the number of species it could be to only a few. Throw in habitat described, morphology and geography and it seals the deal.

OP Offline
CJBS2003, I think that is the general ruling on my pic! Sounds like your familiar with my area? Have you lived around here before, visited or just know a lot of info about East Tennessee?

S
S
That'd be a chubby Good catfish bait. smile

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have visited eastern TN. Did some collecting for native fish in some of the local streams. Creek chubs are pretty easy fish to ID, even when smaller.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by KiwiGuy - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
My First
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 11:48 PM