Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick
18,512 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,985
Posts558,200
Members18,513
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
10 members (JKK, Bobbss, tlogan, Fishingadventure, shooterlurespond, KiwiGuy, Bill Cody, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, lafarmpondguy), 1,048 guests, and 150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
A buddy just enlisted me to help him whip his pond into shape on the property they are purchasing. It's a nice chance for me to get to work on it while my pond construction plans are on hold (I started a new business).

The pond is on whidbey island in NW Washington,
Pond in question
Now once he get the keys I'll be out there skimming off the duckweed, determining the water quality, mapping out the bottom, and doing a fish survey.

The biggest problem we have up here is that there really are no true native forage fish for ponds, and as such no hatcheries I have found that carry them. That said I figure we would try to get whatever is the best fit and stock them over the next couple years before we start adding the target species (YP and CC with some trout if the water level is deep enough to support over summer)

So what would you gents add for a forage species *FHMs are considered an invasive species up here. So other than those give me some Ideas.

I should add that the pond is roughly 150' x 40' with depth yet to be determined. Weather is generally mild with winter not colder than 20 or so (and even then for less than a week at a time) and summer that average in the mid 70's

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Neat looking place. Do the golf courses there stock anything in the water hazards? If it were me, I would not ask questions of any governmental agency like the NRCS. That's the most environmentally regulated place I've ever seen.

I'll be visiting Grandkids in Bremerton for a couple of weeks during August. Sure hope the weather is mild. With no AC, the rare hot days can be murder.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I havent seen anything other than a few YP and some stunted LMB in the golf ponds. The one grounds keeper I know said he didnt stock a thing, he said the fish just always show up a couple years after the ponds are completed. In several of the ponds I have been too the only fish I've ever seen is YP and those are inevitably runty.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I'd check with Washington State and see what species actually are legal... You are right though, there aren't many native forage species to choose from there.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
The only fish listed as specifically banned is the fat head minnow, other minnow and shiner varieties are not listed at all. I'm wondering if it would be possible to have fry shipped out and then grow them in doors untill they are releasable size.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sure you can. But in your neck of the woods you might face some real problems if you got caught.

Check for other ponds and see if you can get some guidance on how to get what you think you want. If you can get some fry or even starters you can stock them and then let them grow out and spawn. Add predators later.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I guess it's time to put that winning smile on and go knock on some doors. To be honest not many of the ponds in the area are maintained at all. And the ones that I have fished are full of nothing but stunted LMB and YPs

R
RER Offline
R
this is a list of washington fish , I see a few minnows and suckers that look like good meals for bass. Sourcing could be an issue. You might have to go on some collection trips........

http://www.gotmyfishon.com/washington-lakes/washington-fish-species-identification

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Peamouth minnows are native to Washington and like lakes

Quote:
It prefers lakes and slow-moving portions of streams, and small and medium rivers. Peamouth will school where aquatic vegetation is abundant.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Not real sure about that site. It states that Bluegills don't reach sexual maturity until their 3rd or 4th year. The minnows are about the same. Maybe that's the way it is in Washington State but I doubt it.

F
F
If you coud find them cheap enough, you could buy very young trout as forage, and the ones that make it will add to your fun.

do you guys have fresh water shrimp, or craw fish??

Is feeding out of the question, both CC and YP are popular for that.

Water is the basis of all life, by design!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
RES are fanning out beds
by Fishingadventure - 05/03/24 09:04 PM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/03/24 08:52 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by Fishingadventure - 05/03/24 08:45 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/03/24 07:53 PM