Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Dave I'm gonna check into it more,the great thing is it goes to your Email and cell phone, you're not paying for photo space on someone elses website. I have to get with my son, he has ATT and I believe he also has the data plan so I could add a line for the camera.

I've been worried about security for my cabin, it's 800ft. back off the road and can't be seen.
I'll let you know if I get one.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 03/26/12 07:54 AM.

JKB #285544 03/26/12 10:09 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
You mean Cradlepoint? I have a couple of them. I use them mainly for connecting wireless to machines so I don't get run over by fork trucks.

Yes Cradlepoint

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
AP, if you do it, let us know how it goes. I'm also a long way back in the woods. That means very few people know my place exists but thieves can't be seen from the road.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Dave I'm also looking into the cost of wireless internet and using these wireless camera's that can be remotely panned and have motion detection.
http://www.x10.com/promotions/airsight_wireless_ip_camera.html?TWENTY11

My son knows more about this stuff but between work and college it's hard to get time with him.
I like the idea of remotely controlling the camera, but also it will notify you when motion is detected.
I will let you all know if I get some kind of system.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
One of my cams was recently stolen. I would love to have photographic proof of the crook.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Dave I'm also looking into the cost of wireless internet and using these wireless camera's that can be remotely panned and have motion detection.
http://www.x10.com/promotions/airsight_wireless_ip_camera.html?TWENTY11

My son knows more about this stuff but between work and college it's hard to get time with him.
I like the idea of remotely controlling the camera, but also it will notify you when motion is detected.
I will let you all know if I get some kind of system.

I like those cameras AP. Pretty reasonable to try out.

I've been to lazy to set up my wireless here. Maybe this weekend.

JKB #285804 03/28/12 07:38 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Lots of online game cams are 24x7. However, I'm only interested in seeing what happens when a person or animal comes into range. And, with the capability of storing it. I have a pretty good idea of who stole my cam. I back trailed them but have no proof so there's no point in taking it any further.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
It looks like the most cost effective set-up for me will be landline internet, my son said wireless internet will work but cost more and have limited data space.
I did put in a phone line underground with the power cable when I built the cabin but never had it hooked up cause I get cell service being on a high plateau.

Those wireless camera's look great, they can be panned, have IR, and motion detection and the software will notify you and send a photo when motion is detected, it's hard to believe they're only $100. The main problem is supplying power to the camera, either by 110 ac or with a battery pack.
http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

I think 2 camera's will work good, they can be in sight of each other so they provide security if one camera is being tampered with.
Another addition would be dummy camera's around the property to spook possible thieves, they can be had for $10. on ebay and made more realistic looking with the addition of a toy antenna and plastic box to look like a battery compartment.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Silver-Water...=item3cc4039ad8

I've decided to go ahead with this and when I get the phone company to hookup the cabin I'll get the camera's and my old computer setup there.
I'll post the progress of the system for anyone who might be interested.

P.S. If the camera motor was bigger you could mount a shotgun for added effect. laugh

Last edited by adirondack pond; 03/28/12 08:53 AM.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I've been interested in some type of remote video security setup also. Of course, broadband internet access would be required at both ends. I was thinking of some type of on-demand video retrieval setup at the remote site using an FTP client-server configuration. This would allow the remote computer to be contiuously connected to the web, but streaming out video only when commanded to do so. 3G data plans in my area are far from unlimited, and 4G doesn't even exist. Streaming video can exhaust the data limits quickly.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond

P.S. If the camera motor was bigger you could mount a shotgun for added effect. laugh

Keep lasers as an option, the right one could do some damage grin

Heck, hook a little I/O controller on your network and bury some "large" firecrackers. If you can see where they are at, push a button and have some fun! cool

I'll get one also to try out. I have Charter cable locally and AT&T 4G up in Fremont.

It'll take a week or so to transfer cash into paypal.

Last edited by JKB; 03/28/12 02:37 PM.
JKB #285932 03/29/12 04:58 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My problem is power and connectivity. Every storm causes a power loss due to tree limbs somewhere. Unless I'm there I have no idea that phones aren't working. When I had one I called AT&T just about every time I went there. They investigated and it always was restored until the next storm. Well, sometimes it was fire ants in connection boxes. I finally gave up and just use a cell phone. Even then I have to walk up on my dam to use my cell phone.

For web connectivity at my place we have something called country cable. It's also not all that dependable.

I'm not sure just how viable security can be for us.

JKB #285948 03/29/12 07:43 AM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: JKB

I'll get one also to try out. I have Charter cable locally and AT&T 4G up in Fremont.

JKB keep us updated on your set-up.

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

For web connectivity at my place we have something called country cable. It's also not all that dependable.

I'm not sure just how viable security can be for us.

Dave it sounds like the most reliable option for you is satellite internet service, probably from Hughes net, I think their service starts at around $50. per month, but just like cell service you pay more for increased data space, It might be worth looking into. They may have a deal going on now.
http://www.hughesnet.com/

I also have a problem with power outages at the cabin so I'm gonna need an APC battery backup for the computer.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 03/29/12 07:50 AM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
AP. Will do!

I'll get my remote puter on order next week. I want to get it tweaked just a little bit wink

Lunker
Lunker
Assuming that you have Internet access (either wireless or wired), then there are several options. If you only want the video available to yourself or a very few people at one time, then you might consider a video surveillance card. I used an AverMedia NV3000 card in an old spare computer to monitor 4 cameras on purple martin nests and wood duck boxes. The card is about $100 at Amazon or similar sites. I can access the card from anywhere on the Internet. One problem is that most Internet providers will not provide a static IP address, but that problem is easy to solve at no cost by using a DNS service such as DynDns.org. Alternatively, if you want numerous people to be able to access the cameras simultaneously, then you could use a different approach using inexpensive capture cards such as the Diamond VC600 card at about $50. You could broadcast it using a free service such as UStream. This URL gives a brief overview of that approach. http://www.ustream.tv/get-started
One advantage of the video surveillance approach is that you can easily set the card to make permanent recordings to your hard drive depending on the detection of motion in the camera field or even selected portions of the field. If you have enough perseverance you can get all this working yourself. Or you could probably find a talented high school techie to help you

Last edited by FarmerCharlie; 03/29/12 11:08 PM. Reason: fix typo
JKB #287350 04/10/12 07:09 AM
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
AP

This may give you a few laser ideas for mounting on the camera laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2