Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,975
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (Sunil, catscratch, jludwig, sprkplug, canyoncreek, gehajake, STG), 1,146 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
OP Offline
O
I want to start of by saying thank you for all of the help that I have already found on this site. I have spent several hours during the last few days tring to soak up some of the vast amount of information on this site. The knowledge found on this board is unbelievable and I want to thank everyone for sharing it, it will be help beyond description.

Here we go.

I just began contruction on a new pond that will be phase one on a two phase project. The first phase will be about 2 acres. We will completely finish this and then begin in the summer to dig an 8 acre pond and then the two will be tied together.

The reason for doing this is that I have worked out a deal with a local dirt contractor and he will not need the additional dirt until then.

Here is my situation: My place is situated on the edge of one of the highest points in Northeast Louisiana and the top two to three feet of the soil is very sandy, under the sand is clay. When it rains there is almost no runoff, it all soaks into the sand and then seeps down the hill on top of the clay and in turn is seeping out of the ground in several spots on my 42 acres. When we first saw this we thought that we had spings on the property, but after talking to several engineers they explained to me what was actually happening.

With all of that said, when we began to dig the pond it started to fill up at once, so fast that we do not have any time to do any bottom shaping. The problem is whatever they dig one day will have two to three feet of water in it the next morning. So what they are doing is making their first cut every morning above the water line, sort of making a dam, then on the next cut and all the rest of the cuts that day they are digging deeper, so that the bottom of the majority of my pond is looking like this. Ten feet, seven feet, ten feet, seven feet and so on. My question is what are the fish going to think of this? I would guess that the bass will love this type of structure, but I'm not really sure.

I would love to know everyone's thoughts on this situation.

Thanks,

Pat

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Isn't this similar to what's being illustrated in the "Ray Scott" model that Lusk is helping with?

Intersecting irregularities to draw fish into predictable highways of activity. I don't think you could possibly go wrong with this.

I'd try to predict the pathways that bass would take to navigate the humps and place the Ray Scott dinner tables. These are plywood boards that largemouth hide under. I'll try to find an illustration.

Welcome, Pat.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Here's the link, but it doesn't show the picture of the dinner table. It's really an exciting structure innovation, but as you can see his ponds have the intermittant humps like you've got.

http://www.rayscott.net/sales/gsw.php

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks guys. That's about what I have. Do I see two old cars in that picture?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good job LBuck. I have those tapes and they are good. I had not seen the ad with pics.

Welcome to the PB forum Pat. Good luck with your pond. I agree with LBuck's posts. Yes those are car bodies. One thing I will note is that Ray's ridges are cut so that there are passages threw them. Those spots where 2 highways (cuts) meet are prime places for added cover (bucket structures)on the ridge top at the intersection and in the bottom of the cut.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 10:12 AM