Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,159
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
11 members (anthropic, nvcdl, bmicek, tim k, Sunil, Theo Gallus, Fishingadventure, DrewSh, papereater, FishinRod, bmo), 1,074 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
Ok bear with me. Need help getting this all started again.
I did purchase "Perfect Pond" book and have been reading it, but need more help with legalities etc associated with building my own pond. Here's my story:

I recently purchased a house and 5 acre lot North of Pittsburgh in Butler County. Brand new house built by a builder on about 20 acres total, mine was the last house the builder built to sell. Mine also is the most hilly. But at the bottom of all my hills used to be a little pond. Apparently while trying to sell my property the builder called the DEP and got them to approve him draining the pond.
I want to put that pond back, for many reasons. 1-the base of my property is just a wet marsh and unusable 2- I would love a fishing pond 3- It would look gorgeous for us and the neighbors properties.

So where do i start? I'm afraid to open the can of worms and asking too many questions to local government, but how should i proceed? I have a friend with his own excavating business, who has dug and ponds in the past, so that part of it i have covered. But where would you start?

It is important to note i also have a drainage easement on my property and a Spring House. Currently the water from the spring house creates the massive streams the are in the area where i want my pond to ultimately end up.

I'm going to attache a picture of my property, any and all advice/help is appreciated.

Attached Images
ariel.jpg
L
L
Not sure of any local code or legality, but if it is contained on your own land with a fair buffer zone, I cannot imagine it being a problem. From what I can see it looks like the spot would be perfect to build a new, taller, larger dam further down from the old dam, and give yourself a nicer, larger pond. While it is empty, excavate out all of the old crud in the bottom from the old pond and get a clean start.

Code here in NY is 100' from the road, 20' from the neighbor. No altering of existing wetlands.

J
J
The existing wetland is nation wide.

What defines an existing wetland? Anything spot that holds water and may attract wildlife. I think the focus is mostly on ducks. If you mess with an existing wetland, it can lead to fines.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
RYJr,

I built my pond in Westmoreland Cty. about two years ago. The pond site has a seasonal stream running through it that I thought might be considered a wetland. I talked to PA DEP and they told me I had to have the site evaluated by the Conservation Service. I had two agents from the Westoreland County NRCS come to the site and they told me since there were no wetland plants present it was not considered a wetland.

Call the Butler County NRCS and have them take a look. If you don't have a wetland or running/seasonal stream and you keep your dam height under 15 feet the permitting requirements in PA are minimal.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks to all.

Jsec,

Here's the update. Called Butler Cty Dept of Conservation.

Fella I talked to told me: if damn height under 15feet and under 100 acres of watershed I should be fine. He told me to call DEP in Harrisburg and find out IF they would require me to get a Environmental Engineer to evaluated the impact on the environment.

He said all that assuming that is was not a wetland. now it pretty much as weedy muddy mess down there right now. Because i have a steady flow of water from my spring house through the middle of it.

My wonder is if i should even dig up more inquiries with the state if i don't need too? and i don't want to pay for an environmental assessment just to hear what i already know, and waster half my pond money on it.

the Butler county guy just told me the usual, and said i would only need to call the state and find out if they would even want it, permit wise he said i am fine.?

thoughts?

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Ok I'll ask, what is a spring house? Flowing well?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
RYJr.,

Check your PM's

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the imput everyone.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Please keep us posted. These things are so inconsistent among states and various government agencies including the EPA, I'm not sure you can come up with guidelines on the internet for your situation.

You should see the hoops and barriers we experience in aquaculture, although here in Indiana I believe is one of the most friendly when it come to these kinds of things.

If it was me I'd probably make sure no wetland plants had gotten established before anyone came out. LOL Cattails will show up very rapidly to even mud puddles!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/31/12 10:42 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 04:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Snipe - 05/02/24 03:27 PM
Treating pond water for residential use
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 03:26 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by Snipe - 05/02/24 02:55 PM
Using Advanced Search Function
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 01:49 PM
1/4 acre pond digging it Monday
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 12:00 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question