Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,125
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,562
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bobbss, teehjaeh57, Boondoggle, bmo), 776 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
Recently I have been thinking a lot about creating a relativity large private pond (25-50 acres). Making it a 2-3 year project and digging it myself. I have wanted to create this pond and design it specifically for the fish species I will be planning on stocking. I had a friend who create a 25 acre pond that was specifically designed for Atlantic Salmon. I only fished in there once, but I caught an 17.89 pound fish on my first cast. The lake was literally exploding with giant Atlantic Salmon. Don't ask me how he did it, I have NO idea. He did mention something about a specific kind of bait fish. Also he build the pond over a very large and very cold natural spring that kept the water very cold. He still lives in the western part of Colorado (The Rocky Mountains)
Now recently, I have been thinking about doing something very close to what he has done. Design a pond specifically for a certain species that is uncommonly stocked (and grow large) (at least in large amounts). Now it seems like I am beating around the bush. These are the fish species I have in mind (remember what species I select will determine how I design the pond)

1. Atlantic Salmon (doing something close to what my friend did)
2. Lake Sturgeon (although I think these would be difficult, your opinion would be interesting)
3. Canadian Northern Pike
4. Musky (This is another really interesting one, my friend knew someone who did this (that is how he got his idea for Atlantic Salmon ) and he was wildly successful with a 35 acre lake. I believe he stocked a wide range of bait fish including two shad species which he believed were the backbone of his musky' diet (from examining stomach contents).
5. One of the western salmon species (not very keen on this one)
6. The sterile Trout Lodge breed of rainbows ( http://www.troutlodge.com/?pageID=EA66FEAB-3048-7B4D-A9095C83399E3841 ) (This is off a high interest to me)

Your comments and feedback would be much appreciated.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
This is very cool Itherrien! Welcome to Pond Boss!

I know little to nothing about these species, but I'll happily sit back and follow the responses.

I will inquire with one question regarding the Lake Sturgeon. Don't most/all sturgeons take a very long time to grow? Maybe there's differences between the species and their growth rates.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Itherrien welcome also, and if you can build a pond that large with sustainable water then you have a good chance of raising many species of fish.
It will be an interesting discussion from the people on PB with the knowledge and experience.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
1) Unlikely to do well in a pond, you'd have to have a lake and it had better stay very cool and well oxygenated. Few if people have the money or resources to construct such a lake.
2)They require cool, well oxygenated water. Similar to trout... Stocking 1 or 2 in a 5+ acre pond meeting those requirement could be an interesting bonus. However they grow quite large. Smaller sturgeon species could be a better option. However, most are native to Europe and would most likely be illegal to import/stock. The smaller native North America species are all pretty much threatened or endangered and are protected and are very much river fish.
3)Canadian or America, northern pike are the same fish... They along with 4) musky have been talked about extensively on here. In a very large lake, they may be suitable. However, they will eat large amounts of eating size panfish you'd rather eat yourself. Research the forum for more info on them.
5)The pink salmon is probably the most likely candidate of the western salmon species followed by the Kokanee salmon. Again, very much like Atlantic salmon. Unlikely to do well but in all but the largest of private lakes that have extremely cold well oxygenated water year round.
6)Really no difference between these and "regular" rainbows as far as needs and requirements. You'll need a pond that stays colder than 70 year round with high oxygen levels. If these conditions are met and a feeding program is done, expect to grow some quality trout. Rainbows have been extensively covered on the sight, do a sight search for more info on them.

Salmon sounds like an interesting but rather hard goal. Is there some kind of domesticated salmon? Usually they live in a sea and come in the rivers in a spawn time. Will it simply live in a lake (even it is cool enough)? These thoughts are based on my experience here in Europe smile

By the way, I have a question about salmon like species. Usually they breed in the rivers. Probably we all know how it happens and no comments are needed on this. What happens if they are put in a lake/pond? They grow big enough to reproduce and what's going on then? They simply don't have any rocky stream... I've heard rumours that in such case they don't spawn their eggs and they start to rot, killing the fish. Is it so?
Itherrien, if you friend has got a spring connected to a lake, then probably it's a place where fish can spawn their eggs. No matter whether they manage to survive or not. But you won't have any stream, am I right?
Somebody could add some comments about this.

J
J
I believe it would be challenging to get a reproducing population of salmon lake of the size you are talking about. I am no expert but I have much of the same feelings as Grundulis outlined in his post.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
The state of NY had stocked Kokanee salmon in some Adirondack lakes, but I believe they stopped.
There is one small 78 acre lake near my cabin that still has naturally reproducing Kokanee, it's deep and spring fed and also has lake trout, brook trout, and rainbow smelt.

I guess for Kokanee it's a matter of just having the right conditions, and not many lakes here had them.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brown Trout, 2 types of Steelhead, Coho and Chinook or King Salmon are now in the Great Lakes, and use the rivers to spawn in. Coho and Chinook salmon are normally found in salt water but adapt to fresh water. I think all the salmonoids are the same way.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
I
OP Offline
I
I called my friend up and apparently he used a very powerful water pump and two 12 inch pipes to pump water out of the lake and up into a creek bed he dug out and lets it wash back down into the lake. Don't know if this is any help. Oh yes and the amount of money he said he spent is [,'...',] - meaning a lot.

I
OP Offline
I
It might have been 18 inch pipes not 12 inch ones.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
It just goes to show that if you have enough spare cash you could raise Tilapia in an Antarctic pond. laugh

You can even create an artificial trout river through your living room but that might cost a lot. If you are Rockefeller then it's nothing but if not - do you need it? Will it be a smart way of spending money?
The same about these highly powerful pumps. Probably they work as designed but cost a lot... You said that you might create that pond by yourself - it means you aren't Rockefeller smile
By the way, that salmon isn't a carp or a pike. It simply might dislike it's new home and you can have your money wasted.
Maybe forget about that salmon and better look at other options.

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
1 Hatchery I bought Rainbow Trout from sells Atlantic Salmon. They have them in the hatchery for over a year because they grow slow.
They said the salmon need at least 18ft deep water and they require a little better quality water then RT. Other then that they didn't say to much.

Grundulis, I have been told salmonids either absorb the eggs or lay them regardless of the spot. Whether this is true or not I don't know.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: blair5002
Grundulis, I have been told salmonids either absorb the eggs or lay them regardless of the spot. Whether this is true or not I don't know.

Bingo!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 01:31 AM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 12:00 AM
How much feed?
by TEC - 05/01/24 09:41 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:10 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:00 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 08:48 PM
What did you do at your pond today?