Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
As the fish I raise indoors in self contained tanks complete with mechanical and biological life support get more numerous and and valuable, it's even more imperative to safe guard them in case of a power outage.

At the present time I'm using an inverter and a bank of deep cycle batteries wired in parallel to provide automatic back up AC power to my 120 watt linear air pump (aerates two tanks) and my two 60 watt water pumps in case the power grid goes down. This gives me time to allow me to start up a generator,and of course automatically switches over to the batteries if the power goes out in the middle of the night.

That said, in the interest of redundancy and to reduce the life support appliances that are plugged into the inverter, I'm looking into renting an oxygen tank from the local auto parts store (very economical) and hooking it up to a solenoid switch which stays closed when the power is on, but will open up and release oxygen if the power goes out. Anyone know what specific switch I would need and how to go about it? I've already found suppliers on the Internet.

Perhaps I just need to hire a local electrician?

Thanks!

Esshup my engineer is in Wisconsin and off the net for now, but I'm sure he will chime in when he gets back. grin

Eventually once I get big enough and move everything to a pole building I may invest in one of these:

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/18/11 07:16 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
F
You will need something like this. A 120 volt normally open solenoid. When power is applied it is closed. When the power fails it will open. So all you need to do is connect a cord to the solenoid and plug it into a power source. You will also need a regulator to control the pressure before it goes into the solenoid. Call STC and they will make sure you get the correct solenoid for your application.

http://www.stcvalve.com/solenoid_valve_specifications_and_dimenisons_2SO_2WO.htm

Last edited by frigginchi; 11/18/11 08:33 AM.
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Find it here: Solenoid

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thank you Gentlemen!

Frigginchi,

I think you're on one of the other websites I'm on? Aquapoinics headquarters , Koiphen or NANFA?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/18/11 09:19 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
F
Nanfa and aquaponicscommunity.com smile

Last edited by frigginchi; 11/18/11 10:28 AM.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Asco #8262G262 would be a good choice for your application.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thank you Gentlemen.

I've got a ground wire coming out of the Inverter that I'm supposed to connect to "earth ground" what do I do in the basement where it's all concrete floor? All outlets in the fish rooms are GFI btw.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/18/11 06:34 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Post the model number/brand of the inverter.

Your house is probably bonded thru L2 to ground. Bare wire on a Green terminal should hit earth ground.

Otherwise, get out the core drill and drive a copper rod down. (length and diameter are dependent on a few factors) Then you are "Earth" grounded.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Post the model number/brand of the inverter.

Your house is probably bonded thru L2 to ground. Bare wire on a Green terminal should hit earth ground.

Otherwise, get out the core drill and drive a copper rod down. (length and diameter are dependent on a few factors) Then you are "Earth" grounded.

Tripp-Lite Model APS750

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Looks like you are going to have to install an earth ground near the unit.

It would probably be easiest to drive a ground rod right outside of the house and run the wire thru the wall.

Looks like a nice unit. I was going to start looking for a backup system here soon, but having to do the ground thing put's that one out for me. I'll have to come up with something else.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JKB,

Power company says two ground rods could be a problem. Fortunately I got a hold of the manufacturer of the inverter and they say as long as my present outlets are hooked up to my present earth ground I'm good to go. Now I'm just waiting on my fuse blocks and fuses for two units (one for me and one for the school I've set up a fish system at.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I forgot to get back to you. I found the same thing out a couple days ago.

I am looking at the UT750UL unit: UT750UL

It works with the AGM batteries (the type they use in wheel chairs and aircraft) that are safe for indoor use. I still need to research the batteries more.

I have a spare room here so I am making some plans.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yeah I saw those. Interesting.

The only thing is I have my fingers crossed on is whether the GFIC outlets at the school will be tripped by the Inverter. I can plug mine into a non GFIC outlet if need be in my basement, but I don't think that's an option at the greenhouse at the high school. Doing a cursory look I think all the outlets in the Greenhouse are GFIC complete with plastic enclosures.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/24/11 03:03 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Should be OK. I doubt the Ground Fault System will trip a breaker because of the inverter.

My spare room is 10x12 and empty. So, I am thinking in the 300 gallon size, total water. I need to build the tank in two pieces to get it through the door. A few more drawing revisions to go to make things easier.

1.4ppm Chlorine max, so that has to be dealt with. Our water comes out of Lake Michigan, then gets treated. I have a couple Aquafine UV units, but need to add RO and some pre/post filters to make it totally safe.

Kinda excited about this project. Wish I had the space to set up the 800 gallon units, but that is for a later date. Life changes, and you adapt!

MBBR and Micron rated solids filtration with air as the pump.

This TV is pretty cool! I can be 20 to 25 feet away, with my bifocals, read and post on this forum without being restricted to the confines of a computer at a desk, or a laptop.

Recliner managed interaction grin

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Should be OK. I doubt the Ground Fault System will trip a breaker because of the inverter.

My spare room is 10x12 and empty. So, I am thinking in the 300 gallon size, total water. I need to build the tank in two pieces to get it through the door. A few more drawing revisions to go to make things easier.

Should be but the manufacturer told me some do trip.

My two stock tanks are 300 gallons and 68 1/2 inches in diameter. They easily roll through a normal doorway. From my limited experience if the tank fits into the room it's still important to have space to walk around a tank. It really makes a difference. My first system was jammed up against a wall and I had feed on the floor behind it I could not get to. I also found a couple freeze dried bluegill when I moved the tank! LOL

I'm presently setting up a third system (one at the school and two in my basement) with only a 4 foot circular HDPE tank cut down from one of those tall water storage tanks. I got it for a steal at local plastic tank manufacturer. They gave me a nice rectangular 90 gallon tank I can use to acclimate the fish before planting them or moving fish from pond to pond on a trailer. They told me to let them know when I build the low space bioreactor so they can be on the look out for the appropriate size tank.

1.4ppm Chlorine max, so that has to be dealt with. Our water comes out of Lake Michigan, then gets treated. I have a couple Aquafine UV units, but need to add RO and some pre/post filters to make it totally safe.

Be aware that chlorine isn't added in consistent amounts at those water treatment plants. Sometimes they add less sometimes they add more.

The school I set up a system with has chlorine issues too, but just letting the make up water sit for a day or two in plastic drums takes care of the chlorine.

I supplied them with a product from AES called Proline Conditioner for ammonia/nitrite emergencies and it also instantly removes chlorine and chloromines at a rate of one tablespoon (powder) per 125 gallons. It's the same thing as Amquel but much cheaper. It has no effect on the biofilter and breaks ammonia and nitrites down to something the biofilter can easily metabolize.

To simplify daily 10 percent water changes an option is, once the clarifier tank is drained and the ready to fill back up, add the amount of salt needed along with half a tablespoon of the Proline conditioner to instantly remove the chlorine. No barrels of make up water laying around. Their water isn't cold enough to provide any problems either. It's not FDA approved for food fish but the fish are not destined for food. I get them back a few inches larger to plant into the pond with no floor space are utilities needed on my part. They are all males and will be for the taxidermy market.

Kinda excited about this project. Wish I had the space to set up the 800 gallon units, but that is for a later date. Life changes, and you adapt!

For sure! I'm just glad I'm learning but not spending big bucks and taking the risks the big boys do. As I build different filters and try them I will get an idea of what will work for me when I am ready to grow out brooks and browns in a pole building. Looks like it's either going to be a fluidized sand filter or a low space bioreactor. I like the fact that the LSB need much less flow.

MBBR and Micron rated solids filtration with air as the pump.

I'll have to look up the MBBR and Micron rate solds filtration. You got me there. Airlifts are definitely interesting! Very low energy!

BTW I've got plans and pictures of a homemade 200 gallon low space bioreactor a Koi enthusiast built for 1/3rd the cost that AES sells one. Let me know if you're interested or anyone else here. I also notice manufacturers are focusing on the Koi pond market by producing downsized rotating micro drum filters that are self cleaning. I plan on looking more into that.

This TV is pretty cool! I can be 20 to 25 feet away, with my bifocals, read and post on this forum without being restricted to the confines of a computer at a desk, or a laptop.

Recliner managed interaction grin

Sounds good! Have a great turkey day!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/25/11 06:23 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM