Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,966
Posts558,027
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
12 members (Sunil, Joe7328, Augie, J. R., Theo Gallus, Tyler D, Pat Williamson, Bill Cody, Jason D, Don Kennedy, JoshMI, canyoncreek), 895 guests, and 237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
Our 1/2 acre pond is finished and filling by well. It's about 5' now and will fill to average of 9' when full. I stocked 10 pounds fathead minnows and 500 straight bluegill last week. We are aerating the well water into the pond.
I am seeng a green "slick" on the surface where the pond is still from aeration. Overall, pond color looks good and the fish are doing well as best I can tell. The bank visibility is less than 4 inches down. The bottom is clay, new excavation and no vegetation at all EXCEPT very little amounts of hay that has blown in from seeding the surrounding acreage. We did fertilize the grass seed, but have had very little rain in 3 weeks since seeding. Less than 1/2 inch actually. We are feeding the fish with pellets twice daily. The scum just started this week; post fish and feeding...
Should I concern myself with the potential growth of surface algae?
Should I treat? My next step is to increase areation over both ends to keep the surface moving. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Images
scum1.jpg scum2.jpg Pond 10.23.11.jpg
Last edited by tnpondman; 10/23/11 08:18 AM.
T
OP Offline
T
I have researched this a little more and learned that FA is created by the following :
1. nutrients
2. Sunlight
3. Low oxygen levels

Can't control sunlight,.....
so I adjusted my aerator to increase better flow across pond, also ordered a fountain today. That should address oxygen.

Nutrients - not so easy, but two things have occurred over the past week : fish added and feeding twice a day. I am cutting back feeding a few days to see if this helps. The amount of fish chow we were putting in the pond was unscientific. We don't see the fish eating the pellets, so we were just putting out a half pound or so twice a day.....probably too much.

Will update what happens. Any suggestions?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Getting some other plants established in the pond will help utilize the nutrients. The only other way that I can think of is with water exchanges, like an aquarium or if you can get a good photoplankton bloom going, that will reduce sunlight helping to 1) utilize the nutrients and 2) reduce the sunlight.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Fountains are pretty, but will do virtually nothing for adding oxygen to the water at depth. If you have an arator, be sure to use a membrane disc diffuser type place near the bottom and it will provide more than enough O2 if it is properly sized.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Fountains are like race horses and beauty contest winners.

Expensive and pretty to look at but don't do a lick of work.

Send it back if you can.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Mentioned was: "..and learned that FA is created by the following :
1. nutrients
2. Sunlight
3. Low oxygen levels"
Low oxygen levels especially at the surface have very little if anything to do with causing or growing FA or any algae. Plant growth produces oxygen. No oxygen especially at the mud water interface can result in nutrient (phosphorus) release from the decaying organic matter, thus increasing the stimulus for algae growth. Actualy if there is a third stimulus it would be- water. Nutrients, sunlight, and water are the main requirements for all plant/algae growth.

I agree with Rainman and Dave, the fountain will not do much for improving the overall water quality of the pond. Fountains as race horses and beauty queens will also be a lot more expensive to operate compared to an air compressor based diffuser system. Beauty queens & race horses do have their place with special benefits. The motor of a fountain is lifting water (heavy) while the motor of the diffuser system is moving air (light) - a lot less energy consumption and more efficient system.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/24/11 09:08 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
OP Offline
T
Got the message on the fountain. But as much as my wife wants a lighted one, she's got one on the way. I may have to add an aerator to the bottom also.
I'm gonna let it fill the next few weeks and monitor the algae growth. Green is good, just not too much.
In the meantime, if I see the algae growing too much, what algaecide do y'all recommend for treating a 1/2 acre pond?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
At this time I wouldn't sweat it. Winter is coming. Wait until Spring and see how it looks.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Fountain..$1000, Lighting kit..$250, Monthly electricty cost $35, Momma happy and letting you have a "pretty" pond..PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!

T
OP Offline
T
Amen. Rainman.... By the way, the algae was a lot better today. I think stopping the feeding may have helped. To your point, cold weather will be here soon and next spring will be the test.
In the meantime, momma's fountain will be her touch to the pond. Mine is the humps, sunken culvert, riprap, gravel banks, 6 PVC attractors and the dock. Yes her input to let me go with this project is priceless and appreciated.
I'm about 3 feet from full. The pump is doing fine.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Fountain..$1000, Lighting kit..$250, Monthly electricty cost $35, Momma happy and letting you have a "pretty" pond..PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!

Amen Rex, worked for me!

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/29/24 03:06 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Augie - 04/29/24 02:51 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length