Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver, Dux96, cgmbny
18,523 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,001
Posts558,389
Members18,524
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,593
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,157
Who's Online Now
9 members (Augie, BamaBass9, Stressless, FishinRod, Boondoggle, Drago, Sunil, JasonInOhio, Theo Gallus), 1,130 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#271693 10/13/11 09:11 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Hey, guys. I just joined this site because it looks very good and the people seemed to know that they were talking about. My problem is, I have a pond under an acre long. It's been there awhile, maybe 5 years MAX. The pond is never fished and its around 5-7ft deep. I fished there the other day and i found there is a overwhelming amount of Bluegill.(Bluegill) Now im guessing these fish were very hungry because they were attacking my 3/8oz spoon that I was fishing with (for Bass). The spoon was even bigger than some of the bluegill attacking it, some Bluegill were even caught multiple times (2-3). Every time I would throw a cast, I would have SEVERAL hits on my spoon. I never seen or caught Bass or Catfish. I wanted to stock it with some Largemouth Bass and maybe some Catfish. I also want to decrease the amount of Bluegill. There is a lot of tall grass around the pond but It's not in the pond. On one side there is some vegetation in the water. I was wondering what I would have to do to stock the pond with Catfish and Bass. I'm going to artificially stock it, meaning I catch them elsewhere and then throw them in my pond. Could someone please help me out and tell me what I should do.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum! How big were the BG (Bluegills)? LMB (Largemouth Bass) like to eat prey that is 1/3 to 1/4 their body length, so that should be a guide to what size LMB to stock.

Check the Body of Water (BOW) that you get the fish from. Make sure there aren't any invasive species of plants or animals in it, or you could transfer them to the pond. Trust me, that's NOT something you want to do!

Now comes the question of whether you can catch enough LMB the correct size to transfer. If teh BG population is out of control, you'll need to transfer between 50 adn 100 LMB of teh correct size.

The other question is why is the population skewed to small BG? Has the pond had a winterkill and all the LMB died off? Have the LMB been fished out? If any of those are a possibility, what's to prevent that from happening again?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks buddy. I'm new to all this pond stuff. I didn't dig it or anything. The BG were relatively VERY small. There were a couple of decent size BG. I have no clue where the LMB are, they might be in there but I'm pretty sure their not. Also, the pond is in the woods of my house so for awhile I never knew it was there. So I do not know much about this pond. Sorry.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bucket or stringer stocking, assuming that you don't introduce diseases, can create a decent one acre fishery for a couple of years. Then the LMB spawn and overspawn and you have a bunch of stunted bass after they clean out the BG.

Bass that are hatchery raised and stocked as 6 inch juveniles seem to do best and larger fish from other sources don't seem to do very well. I don't know why.

Are you pretty sure of the size? One acre is just a little larger than a football field and hard to overlook.

To make an outstanding one acre fishery I would consider Hybrid Stripers. They will knock back the BG, grow large and quickly, plus provide some tackle busting fishing.

However, no matter what you do, it will be an improvement over what you have now. If funds are limited go for the bucket stocking but understand the trade offs.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 10/14/11 05:27 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I suspect that the BG are really green sunfish GSF. Whatever you do don't use fingerling LMB. They will not survive the competition very well - a waste of money. Stock LMB that are a least 2.5-3 times longer then the smaller sunfish.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/14/11 12:56 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good point Bill.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
OP Offline
K
I plan on just catching them and throwing them in my pond. I have a private lake about 1 minute from my house, so will I need a aerator? Or how should I transport them? The bass I usually catch there are around 8-13in. So I wouldn't think they would have a problem. I really don't want to stock it with anything, because the pond is like 1 mile back in the woods, you must endure a rough terrain to even get to it. I take a Polaris Ranger to get back there. Also I misjudged the size, It's maybe 1/3-1/4 acre. There is also no aeration, It's all natural. What would I need to do to establish a proper food chain and keep the LMG and BG raratively big.

J
J
You want to be careful if they are really GSF. They will compete with the LMB for food as they are another predator. GSF have a much larger mouth than BG.

F
F
catch a few and post a pic. They will clarrify the fish type.

You could rotanal the pond and start over. With it being so far back, you would not have many tresspassors and a great possiblility for a good dam.

Is this in any sort of a flood plane or have drainages above or below it??

Water is the basis of all life, by design!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gehajake, George Moss, helpmypond
Recent Posts
Low pH, low Alkalinity in Fresh ponds/Lakes
by Stressless - 05/10/24 01:08 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by FishinRod - 05/10/24 12:53 PM
Very sandy soil
by FishinRod - 05/10/24 12:48 PM
Happy Birthday Gehajake!
by FishinRod - 05/10/24 12:40 PM
Pond PH, lime, and fertilizer questions??
by Boondoggle - 05/10/24 12:07 PM
2.5 Acre Pond Gone! work/restroation thread
by Stressless - 05/10/24 09:17 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 05/10/24 08:32 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by esshup - 05/10/24 08:30 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by andrew davis - 05/10/24 01:56 AM
My First
by esshup - 05/09/24 03:55 PM
How much feed?