Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,990
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, catscratch, Bobbss, Sunil, jmartin, RAH), 1,167 guests, and 386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#270344 09/18/11 01:02 PM
T
titan50 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
My pond is .5 acres and is approx. 10 ft. deep in the middle. The pond has lots of tiny GSF. I would like to get rid of them. I would like to stock some LMB and CC. Reading some posts, I have seen that some people have stocked some adult LMB. Is this a good idea? Also, will CC eat some of the GSF if stocked? Where and how do I start?

If you do not want GSF you could kill the whole pond and start fresh? Then begin the cycle to grow whatever type fish you want?

If you want to get rid of GSF, LMB will eat them. Don't know on the CC someone else will have to help you there.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
What are your goals for the pond? Generally, LMB will out compete and nearly remove all GSF from the pond, especially when stocked in combination with BG. CC especially when larger will feed on GSF, however they have a small mouth size so they are limited to what size GSF they can eat.

T
titan50 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I would like to produce trophy size LMB and CC. The pond has a mixture of BG and GSF, but more GSF than anything.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
A pond can, depending on who you talk to, carry between (but not more) than 50 and 100 pounds of predators per acre. Of course this also considers the BG that prey on other smaller fish.

It seldom pays to stock larger fish. They seem to have trouble acclimating to new environments.

We also have to consider that the amount of water can vary. Rain just isn't all that dependable. I personally think that we need to stock and maintain the biomass of all fish at 2/3 the max rate. Call it insurance against a DO crash.

So, what do we/you call a trophy? Lets use 20 inches long as a trophy. That fish needs a continuous diet of 5 to 6 inch prey. Emphasis on the word continuous. If it ever makes it to 24 inches, its needs then shift to 6 to 8 inch prey. Once it has eaten the prey that is appropriate, it has to go for smaller prey. That isn't real efficient and it uses up too much energy for the calories it gets for all that work. It's own progeny are eating the prey before it gets large enough for the big girl that we want to grow. So, its own progeny keep us from really growing the trophy that we want.

What to do when you want a line buster in a smaller pond? Start with a feeder. If it were me, I would either stock a half dozen 8 to 10 inch HSB and use the feeder. They will still be a BG/GSF predator and help control the biomass. Or maybe 12 to 25 CC. There are always a couple of them that get so hook shy that they turn into line busters. Their spawn is almost always eliminated by the BG. Another possibility is 6 to 10 female only, feed trained bass. Along the way you have to not catch or harm them until they turn into true trophies.

You can obviously try other fish or combos but I think this is your best chance of raising trophies in a small pond.

If you want to really enjoy fishing, forget about trophies and just go for having fun.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 09/21/11 05:50 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
titan50 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Dave for me, at 15, I'm realizing that I shouldn't try for the trophy, but rather make the sport enjoyable. If I want to just have fun, but also some larger fish what would/should I do?

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
If I wanted to have fun and could either afford a feeder or afford to hand feed I would put about 100 Hybrid Bluegills and about 25 Hybrid Stripers in. The Hybrid bluegills should go in at about 4 inches each and stock them anytime but before the Stripers. That way they could let them grow large enough to escape predation when you add the stripers about 6 months later. The stripers could be about 6 inches long. The stripers will pretty well clobber the GSF and create an interesting fishery. OK, that's the long term solution to having catchable big fish without letting anything else, like BG and LMB, overspawn.

To have fun: I would ignore all of the above and toss about 10 to 12 foot long(approx) LMB in there and let them start chowing down and clobbering the GSF. The bass will overspawn in 4 or 5 years and mess up everything. However, until then you will have a ball. Also by then, you will be old enough and experienced enough to make a decision about the next step. If you keep hanging out here you will get a pretty good education in ponds, fish and fishing.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 09/21/11 09:32 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
titan50 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
How many would you say for a 1/2 acre pond?

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
About a dozen or so. Maybe 20.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
You do want to stay around hear and learn, as I had not found this site before stocking mine and boy did I stock it (over stock that is), but the people selling me the fish thought a $1 was more important I guess.

Now do not get me wrong, it is a great place for me to take my girls if I want some action, but the problem is they like to keep everything and it has taken 2 years to get anything of size, and I think that we could have had some in as little as 1 year had I not stocked so many fish.

I do however have a cheap hanging feeder so that helps ths GSF, BG, HBG, & CC grow faster to eat. I am now taking all catfish I can catch since I stocked 100 of them in my pond. I think I have taken between 15-20 out so far, does not seem like much, but I think there should have only been about 5-10 of them stocked since my pond is only .25-.50 acre.

So decide what you like to do with the pond and fish and keep us posted.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves