Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,999
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (JoshMI, Bobbss, JabariStokes, teehjaeh57, Rick O, Theeck, BamaBass9, Purplepiggies7, Sunil, Tinylake, Jward87), 1,471 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#270027 09/13/11 08:24 PM
P
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Spent a few hours fishing my pond this weekend in Michigan. It is in the final phase of a 3 year dig on a 4 acre pond. To dig the last phase they have dropped it 4-5 feet - it was completely full and is 15-18 feet deep in some spots. So it went from 3 acres to 2 acres. I have caught about 900 BG from very small to large, 30 small perch, 30 rock bass, 30 small LMB and small 10 SMB and put them in the pond over the last 2 years. I have also put zero cover into the pond but it has some weeds and stuff for the fish to eat. I know that at least the BG and LMB have had babies.

This past weekend I fished it for the first time for a few hours. Caught many fish including 2 14-16 inch LMB. They were no more than 6 inches when I put them in. The water is pretty clear and I see many other bass (at least 10) swimming around the same size. Caught a 12 inch perch and put in only fingerlings. Caught large Rock Bass and many BG that were big enough to eat. I see some small fish including BG and LMB on the edges but not a lot. Lots of LMB that are 6-7 inches. Lots of Large BG. I never put any FHM in just what I caught and put in. I feel the fish have grown like crazy.

So here are my worries. Once they dig the additional 1 to 1 1/2 acre of pond and cut into into the existing pond the water will drop even more. It has filled up fast in the past but I am worried about it filling enough before it freeze. Still 10-12 feet in some spots now. Will it be deep enough for the fish to survive?

My second worry is will the fish have enough forage fish to survive or will the large 14-16 inch LMB eat everything up with no cover and now a smaller area of pond? Should I take any of the fish out including the 14-16 in LMB? Should I go buy some FHM and if I do will they just eat all those up real quick? Is it still an OK time to add them?

The pond should be completed in 2-3 weeks. I did not want to add any structure until it was done but I will in a few weeks.

Last edited by PatrickMell; 09/13/11 08:25 PM.
O
O
Not sure if this is plausible or not but when digging mine I left a small dam that ran across my pond at the narrow point actually dividing the pond in half. When the pond is full the dam will be about three feet under water, but in the mean time I can stock forage in one side with out any predators and let them multiply. If you can do this it may solve some of your worries. You can stock just forage in the new section once it gets enough water and let them reproduce (as long as you have enough time before you reach full pool), you will not have to lower your other pond before winter, take and place enough rock and brush along the divider and once it is under water it will give you plenty of structure/cover. After my pond gets to full pool then I plan on tearing out sections of the divider next to the shore on each side leaving a submerged hump in the center covered with rock and cinder blocks, and deeper channels on each side next to bank for fish travel areas. I also created another divider that will be very narrow and and only be about a foot below surface at full pool. This is next to the deepest water in my pond and is nearly straight up and down. I have about four foot of water in it now and am going to put fhm in it and let them do there thing. I will then plant lilys across the top of this "ridge" for the whole length to help shade the deeper water that is on both side. I laid several cedar trees along the bank so that once the lilys get established the fish will have some shady cover to take advantage of during the summer. Once the pond reaches full pool then you will not even know the temp dams are in place....but the fish will...... Just a thought....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 05:13 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM