Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,990
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, catscratch, Bobbss, Sunil, jmartin, RAH), 1,167 guests, and 386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
If you read my other thread you know I've successfully held trout over the summer in my pond the last 2 years. This summer I had to be pushing the limits with my pond temps, and I want to try a few things to help counter that. While I was successful this year, my trout HAD to be stressing.

The first thing I was thinking of doing was moving the aeration compressor for my pond to my basement. My pond is close to my house and currently it's under my deck where the temps have to be high from the sun beating down on the deck mid day. My logic with moving it to the basement is I would be pumping much cooler (65-70 deg?) air during the hot days.

The second thing I was thinking of doing is adding well water. My pond is a water table pond and has a sandy bottom. Would it benefit me to hand drive a 1 1/4" well about 20 feet down and pump that water in my pond for the month or 2 when my temps would be the highest? I was thinking about driving it right in the pond where it's about 2 feet deep, and letting the water fall right in to the pond. My pond is about 1/5 acre and around 10 feet deep at the deepest, but most of it is around 6 feet deep. How much water would I have to pump, and should I do something to it to add DO before it goes in the pond?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Well water is your best bet, I think. But I've heard that well water is devoid of O2, so you are correct in that you have to 'treat' the water.

Splashing the water over several obstacles on it's downward path to the pond works, but there is a trade off to the well water getting warmer along the way as it splashes down and mixes with the air.

You have to add the O2 to the water, though.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Moving the pump to cooler temps wont change the compressed air temp any, it will exhaust off the same. The motor windings might be a few degrees cooler but depending on the style of compressor is probably oil less and made to run constantly and in hot temps.Sunil is correct on the well water.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Wow, I would have thought putting the pump in a cooler enviroment would pump cooler air. Good thing I asked!

Anyone have any input as to how much well water I'd need to pump to impact the pond temp?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
To calculate what you would need, we would need to know how many GPM your potential well would produce, and then the amount of water in your pond.

They would be rough numbers, and not firm.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: 2trackin
Anyone have any input as to how much well water I'd need to pump to impact the pond temp?
Not sure if my methodology is technically correct, but logic suggests that 10k gal of 68F water added to 1-ac/ft (325,800 gal) of 85F water will produce a combined temperature of 84.5F (a .5 degree reduction to the larger water-volume).

Four variables impact the final value, and assumes instantaneous blending of both volumes and their relative temps. Plus, the initial change may be short-lived due to the ambient air-temp and other variables that affect heat induction or dissipation.

325,800 x .0085 = 2,769
10,000 x .0068 = 68
Total of the two volumes: 335,800 gal
Total thermal units: 2,837

335,800 = .00845 (= 84.5F)

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I would agree with using aerated well water to get your trout pond to a less stressful temp., this is just a WAG but from my experience with supplying my pond with stream water I think about 5 GPM of cold well water to your small pond could make a reasonable difference, and split the flow to the pond with a separation of at least 30 ft. to allow a larger area of cooler water.

It's really something you would have to experiment with.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I suspect Cecil would have some very helpful knowledge to share on this subject... Too bad he's not participating anymore!

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
It's all academic until you know the well production (as Sunil states above).

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
What would be the limiting factor on the amount of water my well could deliver? It doesn't seem like the amount of water I tap in to would be an issue. If I dig a 3 foot deep hole anywhere around my property (except the hill my house is built on) it fills with water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Limiting factors are
1) soil capacity to move water without making a channel to soil that doesn't hold water and sucking air
2) well screen capacity. (I ran a double screen on my well so that wasn't a limiting factor)
3) amount of water your pump can push, when figuring in the head pressure and pipe size/length of run for any restrictions.
4) depth of your pocketbook to afford a large enough well, pump and electricity needed to keep it running.

I'd look at it a different way. I wouldn't use a bottom diffuser, I'd WANT to set up a thermocline in the pond with the well water, and make sure that it was saturated with O2 before it ever hit the pond. The trout can live below the thermocline provided they have plent of O2. They can dash up for food, or you can feed them sinking food.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Limiting factors are
1) soil capacity to move water without making a channel to soil that doesn't hold water and sucking air
2) well screen capacity. (I ran a double screen on my well so that wasn't a limiting factor)
3) amount of water your pump can push, when figuring in the head pressure and pipe size/length of run for any restrictions.
4) depth of your pocketbook to afford a large enough well, pump and electricity needed to keep it running.

I'd look at it a different way. I wouldn't use a bottom diffuser, I'd WANT to set up a thermocline in the pond with the well water, and make sure that it was saturated with O2 before it ever hit the pond. The trout can live below the thermocline provided they have plent of O2. They can dash up for food, or you can feed them sinking food.

I like this idea. Are there any good plans to make, or places to buy something to add O2 to well water?

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Some other options to help cool your pond would be to place your diffuser in shallow water and hook your air pump to a thermostat so that it runs only when air temp. is below water temp., also a surface fountain running during cooler night temps., and some artificial islands which will add shade and other benefits to the pond.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There's a guy in Illinois who is running O2 to the water that's under the thermocline in his deep lake and getting trout to live year round.

I think that if you could bounce the water over some rocks in a shaded area, then put it in the pond, it might do the trick. Well water uptakes O2 rapidly.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
D
Some years back, Mother Earth News (?) did an article on how to air-condition your off-grid home by pumping air through 6" burried tubes 8' or more in the ground, as differential in the dirt temps that deep is significant in the heat of summer. The same physics would apply if you pumped your pond water through a series of tubes under-ground, though personally I would use hundreds of feet of coiled 1/2" poly in lieu of the bigger stuff they suggested for home-made air-conditioning. Desparate times take desparate measures...

Last edited by Double Camp; 09/07/11 10:15 AM.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
It's called geo-thermal. Some guys here have done it in the ponds.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Still looking for a good system for adding oxygen to well water. I'm drawing up plans, but it seems like a simple system would be available(I think I'm over thinking it).

Also, if I drove and ran the pump over a few feet of water, what kind of special line would I need to run the electricity underwater?

Last edited by 2trackin; 01/13/12 08:04 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
How about a packed column made of five gallon buckets connected in a series hung from a u post over your well? You pump the water up a few feet to the top bucket and it drops through via gravity through each bucket packed with plastic media.

That's what I do for my trout pond and what many trout farms and even state and federal facilities that raise trout do. Not only are you aerating the well water you are blowing off nitrogen gas, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen sulfide gas which are bad for your fish.

The buckets have cutouts in the bottom that with a shelf left are lined with plastic screening (as used in fish cages) to keep the media in and allow water to drop through. The very top bucket has a plastic piece with holes in it to distribute the water evenly.

D.O. saturation goes from almost nil to 90 percent by the time the water hits the pond.

Here are some pictures. Notice the iron in the water has discolored everything.

Top bucket of the series.

Different view of top bucket.

Again different view.

Plastic media:

My well water is introduced from a 6 by 6 pit after the packed column (not necessary for one pond as I use it to divert water via gate valves to the pond of my choosing), and then underground via a 4 inch PVC pipe to the trout pond. At the trout pond it's introduced at the surface with an upturned elbow to get further aeration.

The idea of introducing aerated well water to the bottom of a pond makes sense but I've never tried it.

How large is this pond again and what is the average and maximum depth?

A few trout from my trout pond:

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/13/12 08:43 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
What if you pump your well water into a tray. The tray is connected to a pipe or 2 to spread out your cool water like AP suggested. The pipe runs to the deepest part of your pond and gravity takes it from the tray to the bottom of your pond.

As far as what to build in the tray to add oxygen. Like Esshup said cold well water takes up O2 rapidly. Spaying it on rocks or over a couple of small paddle wheels would add alot I would guess.

I have tested my kitchen sink and its between 8-9 ppm with the little oxygenator deal standard on every tap. never checked it with it off to see how much it adds.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
K I just tested DO2 out of tap
1: oxygenator off tap. caught right at tap= 2ppm
2:oxygenator on caught right at tap= 4ppm
3:oxygenator on with 3 inches of water
with tap on fill sample from bottom of sink= 7.5ppm

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves