Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, KiwiGuy, teehjaeh57, phinfan, Boondoggle, x101airborne, lafarmpondguy), 814 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#267576 08/10/11 08:29 PM
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I need some advice on the best thing to spray weeds that are growing through my rip rap. Any suggestions? Thanks

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson
Dantheman #267578 08/10/11 08:48 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Depends on the type of weeds. Grasses? Broadleaf? Woody-plants? Vines?
Any photos of the site in question?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Shoreclear will work..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Is the riprap under water or above water?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Shoreclear will work..

Not necessarily. Glyphosate works on many plant species - but not all species. Best to ID the targeted spectrum of plants and select a product accordingly.

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
They are grasses and weeds all above the waterline between the rocks. Not in the water. Will shore clear hurt fish if you get some in the water?

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson
Dantheman #267588 08/10/11 09:15 PM
O
O
Kelly is right as in the glyphosate will not kill everything. Usually it wont kill many species that are the biggest nuisance.. What I have done is use roundup and mix it with a woody plant spray. It still does not get everything but will take care of most mono and dicots as well as the vining species and small shrubs. Dont spray on a windy day and do not get it on anything desirable.

loretta #267595 08/10/11 11:15 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Shoreclear will not hurt your fish if you get it in the water, it can be sprayed on the water if necessary. I've bought some at Tractor Supply before. Shoreclear has killed everything that I put it on including the lawn.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
loretta #267608 08/11/11 06:53 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have yet to find something along my shore it won't kill.. Use it then spot shot any remaining with round-up..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Lunker
Lunker
ShoreKlear and ShoreKlear Plus both possess the same active ingredient as ROUNDUP, RODEO and several other glyphosate formulations.
ShoreKlear Plus (18% a.i.) has 1/3rd the concentration of glyphosate as RODEO (53.8%). But, SK+ already contains a surfactant - unlike RODEO. The only significant difference between the two is the lower use-cost associated with the more concentrated formulation - which might not be worthwhile unless one needs a larger volume of spray-mixture.
That said, there are several plant and woody species that glyphosate will not readily control.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Seems like glyphosate doesn't do very good on anything woody, also I don't think it's suppose to. But if you cut something off and douse it in glypho it seems to do a pretty good job killing it..

What's some plant examples it won't control, just curious?

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Thank you all for the information. If you get some in the water will it kill algae?

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Seems like glyphosate doesn't do very good on anything woody, also I don't think it's suppose to. But if you cut something off and douse it in glypho it seems to do a pretty good job killing it..
What's some plant examples it won't control, just curious?

Historically, glyphosate has been considered a "non-selective" herbicide. When ROUNDUP entered the market in the late 70s, it was a "miracle product" - and a virtual gold-mine for Monsanto. No other systemic, non-selective, soil-inactive herbicide existed at that time. Off hand, I can't think of a comparable herbicide-chemistry that exists even today.
However, "non-selective" may have been an overstatement to some degree. Many vine species, including poison ivy, are very tolerant to glyphosate. Sedges (nutgrasses) are another tolerant group. With some tolerant species, the above-ground portion of a treated weed may turn yellow or "brown-out", but the roots or tubors remain viable and can quickly generate new growth - usually requiring repetitive treatments to "maintain control" (< industry-lingo meaning "treat it again"). In many cases, a product's label will recommend a tank-mix companion-herbicide to provide better control of tolerant species.
Glyphosate actually works fairly well on several woody species (foliar-applied, usually at relatively high concentrations) - but will not work at all on others. With woody species (and even perennial weeds), application-timing can make a lot of difference. For instance, several willow species and Chinese tallow trees (aka "chicken trees" in LA) become susceptible to glyphosate in the fall (after seed-set but before leaf-color change). As mentioned above, "Hack-n-squirt" and cut-stump treatments broaden the spectrum of glyphosate-susceptible woody species - but it still isn't a 100% bet for full "root-kill" control. There are other herbicide-chemistries that usually perform much better than glyphosate for this purpose.
A concerning issue with glyphosate over the past several years is the rapid development of "resistance" within weed-species that were previously susceptible to this chemistry. These resistant species usually occur in farming regions due to decades of glyphosate's repetitive use - especially at low and often sub-lethal rates (farmers shaving $). Basically, members of a weed-specie that survive a low-rate glyphosate treatment pass along their genetic tolerance to the next generation. Several successive generations later, the resulting progeny become increasingly tolerant or completely immune to the herbicide. The same concept applies to insecticides, fungicides and even pharmaceuticals - which is why many antibiotic prescriptions admonish the patient to finish the entire prescription (otherwise, any surviving pathogens may pass along their elevated genetic tolerance to the next generation - and subsequently render the antibiotic useless). This is why it is advisable to rotate the use of different pesticide or antibiotic classes (modes of action), to avoid tolerance-magnification toward a single chemistry's mode-of-action.

I catch myself rambling - so I'll shut up. Did this answer your question - or was it gross overkill?

Dantheman #267682 08/11/11 11:05 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dantheman
Thank you all for the information. If you get some in the water will it kill algae?
NO! (my shortest answer EVER!)

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Kelly - your answers are very informative. Feel free to provide all the information that time allows. Thanks from all the Pond Boss Family.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Bill Cody #267704 08/12/11 10:02 AM
B
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
B
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Kelly - your answers are very informative. Feel free to provide all the information that time allows. Thanks from all the Pond Boss Family.

Ditto!!! Thanks for being a great resource for us!

Bill Cody #267705 08/12/11 10:03 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yeah thanks for that.. I actually read it and paid attention the whole time (sever ADHD)

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by KiwiGuy - 05/04/24 11:49 PM