Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,168
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
3 members (bmo, Boondoggle, Blestfarmpond), 844 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#266609 08/02/11 12:12 PM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Ok here is the start of a my MuckAway bacteria project for any of those concerned. I started this project like the 3rd week in May and put out only 1 scoop of MuckAway every 2 to 3 weeks. It does say you can do 2 scoops to help with a larger area, but I thought I would try one scoop first and stick with it. They say it's important you stick with it every 2 to 3 weeks! Anyway. Here it is. I don't have many before pics of what I am going to show you but I do have a couple.

Ok before picture here is of a small bass I caught a year or so ago. Notice how black and yucky the water looks on the bottom. Please excuse my weed issues I am still working on that! smile

Now here is a pic from Sunday. This is the biggest area I noticed a difference in. It's clearing up nice, keep in mind I had about 6 inches or so of muck in this area. Now it's clearing up and I have about 3 inches that I measured with my paddle. The muck is also very loose now and not thick like.

Ok in this before pic I caught this bass last year. Notice once again how dark the bottom of the pond is. This is during the day in full sunlight keep in mind.

Now here is Sundays picture. Sorry for my weed / chara issues but it's been 100 plus degrees here and it's everywhere at the moment. However notice the nice clearing of the bottom. Same thing here went from about 6 or 7 inches of Muck to about 3 to 4. and very loose now.

Ok from there I just have a few more pics to show for now of areas that are clearing up. This stuff seems to be working fairly good but I am not going to say it's a fix all at this point! It works better with air running in the pond for sure! Here are a couple more pics. I will update as I see differences as I will continue to apply to see what happens.

That's if for now I will post back later as things change and I take more pictures.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Nice pictures what exactly are you using again and where could I pick some of that up at?

Thanks

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
It's called MuckAway do a search for it on google you can't miss it. It comes in 8 and 16 lbs tubs. An 8 lbs tub is around 75 to 80 some bucks. 2 eight pound tubs should get you through the summer / fall depending how much you use that is. Once the water gets under 50 temp wise your suppose to stop using it till the next spring. It works best in water over 50 degrees.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
good job rc51, I used bacteria this spring, before the weeds got started & it really helped keeping the weeds in check! also my shore went from 6" of muck to sandy in most places. I have a long piece of conduit with a "J" bend that I use to stir up the muck before broadcasting the bacteria in, this has helped quite a bit for the thicker muck areas.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
So what all weeds do you have in your pond, and I guess the GC are not eating too many of them?

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: pullo
good job rc51, I used bacteria this spring, before the weeds got started & it really helped keeping the weeds in check! also my shore went from 6" of muck to sandy in most places. I have a long piece of conduit with a "J" bend that I use to stir up the muck before broadcasting the bacteria in, this has helped quite a bit for the thicker muck areas.

Hey thanks pullo,

I wish I would have started mine in the spring! Maybe my chara wouldn't be as bad??? That's a good idea too about stirring things up a bit. This MuckAway does work it just takes a little bit of time. I will try and continue to post pics as things progress.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
So what all weeds do you have in your pond, and I guess the GC are not eating too many of them?

Right now I have a little A. pond weed. Which the GC I have love! But I have a lot of chara. If they are eating it I can't tell. I only have 3 or 4 GC though. With my chara problem I should have 10 at least. I don't want to over do it though, plus some guys on here say the GC won't eat chara anyway so I am not sure if I want to add anymore.

G
G
RC51, have you continued to use MuckAway? If so, how has it been working?

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Greyhound I have not. It worked ok but the last 2 years I have used a product called C-Flo or(Clean Flo) it comes in 1 pound bags and you put 1 bag in your pond every month or so. I use 2 bags a summer and it does help / work. It's no quick fix but I believe I have lost at least 3 inches of muck in the last 2 years. Where I can tell more is around the shore in about 2 to 4 feet of water. I am now stepping in my pond and hitting rock at about 2 to 3 inches of muck and it used to be around 6 inches. Check it out though the C-Flo works pretty well, and I only use 2 bags a year. If one were to use 3 or 4 bags through out the first summer (which I plan to do next year) I bet the results would be even better. Keep in mind any of this type of bacteria works best with air running in your pond!

thanks for asking
RC

Last edited by RC51; 09/11/13 08:34 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by John Fitzgerald - 05/02/24 10:07 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 09:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use