Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Sunil, Boondoggle, phinfan), 958 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
straw Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hey all,

Earlier this spring, I treated with Navigate for an explosive milfoil infestation. My pond is pretty shallow, and milfoil was completely choking it out. Before buying the place, there was minimal (read: no) maintenance done to the pond, and I've been diligently working on it since. Navigate worked great on the milfoil (this is my first time using it - I previously used Whitecap but it never failed that as soon as I would treat, we'd have a big flood). My pond is now really cloudy and visibility is terrible. I'd estimate you can see about a foot down on a sunny day.

My pond is fed from an adjacent pond, which is in turn fed by a creek (or county drain). Right now I have control of both ponds (the property next door is bank-owned).

I can only assume the cloudiness of my water is due to the decaying milfoil...the pond next door hasn't been touched, and that water is significantly more clear. I do aerate - and the pond next door is not aerated.

The water in the ponds can be drained and filled rapidly via 2 8" pipes out and 2 8" pipes in. Would I be well-served to open up the floodgates and 'refresh' my water? I try to keep the flow through as minimal as possible due to not wanting excess nutrients...but I'm not sure at this point if the muddy water is more of a hinderance to my pond than the nutrients I may get if the water gets cycled. I'm sure the catfish don't mind, but I don't want to hurt the panfish and LMB.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Straw

Lunker
Lunker
Is the water green? or just cloudy?

Decaying vegetation can release a lot of nutrients back into the water and trigger an algae bloom.

S
straw Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It's more brown than green to me...here's a picture. Top two are my pond - the second picture is the pond next door (which has it's own issues - just clearer water!) smile

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I am guessing, but visibility looks like much more than a foot to me in your pond. I would guess it has a combination of solids in the form a=of decay debis and an algae bloom. Flushing the pond is a good thing 2-3 times per year, normally from heavy rain events. This will remove fish waste and toxins from your pond.

R
R&R Offline
R
Rainman/or anyone else

I have a drain valve in my 10 ac. (Recently purchased) Pond that I have never used. The only thing I know about it is the previous owner said it was "VERY" expensive.

Based on your response does that mean it would be beneficial to my BOW to open the valve during periods of heavy percipitation to pull some water off the bottom.

I do not have aereation.And do you think I would be risking causing problems with the valve. I know how small plumbing valves can be. fine for 40 years till you close it one time then here come the drips.

Pond built in 2006.

Sorry if I Highjacked this thread. Thanks

Last edited by R&R; 07/25/11 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling errors

"If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time"

Zig Ziglar
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Opening a valve is your choice. Personally, I would open and close the valve at least annually if for no other reason thaan to be positive it functions.

One MAJOR rain even could possibly overwhelm the normal water overflow systems you have in place...The valve is normally installed as an easier way to do maintenance and for rapidly lowering the water level in emergencies.

Normal rainfall usually provides enough water exchange in a body of water filled by runoff and a 10 acre BOW has to have some pretty serious inflow just to fill or remain full.

R
R
I put valves in all my ponds. I have my 8 inch gate valve open right now on one of my ponds filling a 2 1/2 acrea pond below it. I didnt open one of the valves on one of the ponds for 4 years and now it is stuck. I have had 3 different turtles get hung in the valves when they have been open and had a little problem closing. Had to chop the turtle in half with the valve by opening and closing. I would at least open and close everyk three months for a few minutes. Richey

R
R&R Offline
R
Thanks guys. "Maybe I'll do a test run this weekend on the valve. We had some pretty MAJOR rains this past spring and I have yet to see any go out the spillway. Maybe I'll post some pics of my overflow setup.

PS. If I have trouble with my valve do you
have a plan "B" suggestion. Like I said I'm unfamillar with this valve.

Also there is about 100 acres of wtershed.

Zig Ziglar
R
R&R Offline
R
Tested the valve over the weekend and all went well.(shooooweee!!!!) I was sweatin that one. Think I even lost a little sleep the night before on that one.

Zig Ziglar
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Great news R&R!!! Thanks for the update!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM