Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Dux96, cgmbny, cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus
18,520 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,999
Posts558,356
Members18,520
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,585
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,156
Who's Online Now
10 members (Lake8, Sunil, bmicek, Brian from Texas, Seyahmit, FireIsHot, Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24, ewest, Mainer), 1,056 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
... and now we HAVE one!

Hi all,

I first learned of Pond Boss when my wife and I were looking for rural property here in Central Texas and I was searching for answers about the pond on a place we were considering. Very impressive forum you have here!

We ended up buying a place with a nice-looking one-acre pond at the end of a draw. It's part of an old dairy farm. The pond is rumored to have been a popular "swimming hole" in Fayette County, TX years ago. Rumor has it that at least a portion of the feed for the pond is a spring from a near-surface aquifer, but I don't have a clue how to prove this.

Over the years the pond has become silted in; therefore it's quite shallow (2 to maybe 6 feet) and it tends to go dry in times of drought (like now). At the moment it's nearly dry and we can finally see just how shallow it really is. I have seen stock tanks much deeper go dry around here, so I'm tending to believe that maybe it does have a little bit of spring feed, but that's diminished now also so our pond dried up too.

My goals with the pond are (in no particular order):

** backup water source for the garden
** maintain its tranquil beauty and all that. It really IS pretty when it's got water in it.
** stock fish -- maybe crappie? -- if it can be reworked to support them.

I need lots of pond education since I don't know much about 'em except they're wet. I really appreciate everyone's help in creating this wonderful resource!

Thanks,
Jeff

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jeff, welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on the new place.

If your budget will support it, I'd research what type of soil you have, and if there's enough clay there I would call in a pond builder to clean it out and make the pond deeper. It's a LOT easier to work in a pond when it's dry or mostly dry vs. full. Then when the water returns, it will be less prone to fishkill from heat or cold and you'll have less of a weed problem too. Renovating the pond will remove a lot of nutrients that have accumulated in the pond over the years, which will contribute to a lot of weed growth.

I don't recommend stocking crappie. They are very hard to manage in a small BOW, and with a new place you probably won't have a lot of time to spend managing the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Jeff Welcome to the PBF!! If your pond is that dried up right now if you have the money I would maybe consider getting a piece of equipment in there to get some of that silt out of it. You can't ask for a better time to do it while it's so low! As far as crappie go in a 1 acre pond well.... unless you really know how to manage your pond for them the experts "which I am not" are going to tell you NO WAY not in a 1 acre pond. Way to small for those buggers! Man they populate like rabbits and before you know it you got a ton of 3 to 5 inch crappie and nothing else! You have the typical makings of a bluegill / bass pond or maybe bluegill / catfish. Just hold on though I am sure someone else here will chime in and give you some great advise besides me smile

Last edited by RC51; 07/20/11 07:51 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Esshup sorry did not know you posted that. I guess I was typeing while you were posting! smile Hey sounds like were one the same track. Great minds think alike! crazy

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You just have to have faster fingers! laugh

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Welcome Jeff! Some good starter advise already. I would get an estimate on how much it'll take to deepen the pond so water stays put. Your water level will always fluctuate, but figuring out how deep it needs to be to keep a healthy depth at the driest of times is crucial if you want a year round quality little pond.

C
OP Offline
C
Quote:
I don't recommend stocking crappie. They are very hard to manage in a small BOW, and with a new place you probably won't have a lot of time to spend managing the pond.

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading a little bit about crappie in the forum... I see where you're coming from.

LOL about not having enough time... I see you've been there!

Thanks
Jeff

J
J
The kind of fish you want to stock in the pond depends on your personal goals for the pond. What are your goals for the pond?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cedarparker
LOL about not having enough time... I see you've been there!

Thanks
Jeff

Oh yeah! There's months at a time that there just aren't enough hours in the day for the jobs that need to be done.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: jludwig
The kind of fish you want to stock in the pond depends on your personal goals for the pond. What are your goals for the pond?

That's a good question, actually. Not to raise trophy bass, that much I know. To be able to occasionally pull out a few catfish for the table, or let the nephews catch a few perch... that sort of thing. And mosquito control.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cedarparker
That's a good question, actually. Not to raise trophy bass, that much I know. To be able to occasionally pull out a few catfish for the table, or let the nephews catch a few perch... that sort of thing. And mosquito control.

I think I know the answer, but by "perch" do you mean Yellow Perch or some sort of Sunfish? i.e. Bluegill, Redear, CopperNose Bluegill, etc.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
In Texiz, he'll be talking about sunfish.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
In Texiz, he'll be talking about sunfish.

Boy, would you be in for a surprise if you came up Norte and ordered a Perch (all you can eat) dinner from a home cookin, family owned eatery around here. You would be saying, "Texiz, where is Texiz" grin

Now Dave, I am sure you have some good places down their also.

I went to a place down south that was featured on the Food Network "TWICE". Must have been the chef's day off, because, my mistakes are a heck of a lot better than what I was served. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
They must have known you weren't "frum aroun hyar".

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
OP Offline
C
Quote:
I think I know the answer, but by "perch" do you mean Yellow Perch or some sort of Sunfish?

When I was a kid, anything that wasn't a catfish or a bass or a trout was a perch. grin

The fish that I see in my mind's eye is no doubt a sunfish of some variety or another.

But the truth is, I'm not picky at this stage; I'm open to whatever species works best.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If there's $$ in the budget for it, I'd look into digging it a bit deeper try and keep it from going dry. If it's almost dry now, you won't have to pump out too much water to do the work. That will give you a clean slate to work with, no unwanted species of fish in there.

If you aren't going to feed or aerate, I'd go with the traditional LMB, BG/RES/CNBG (perch wink ), and CC stocking. If you were to feed and aerate, I'd consider tossing in 50 HSB and cut back on the # of LMB stocked by 25%.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tacoma Bob
Recent Posts
Pond PH, lime, and fertilizer questions??
by BamaBass9 - 05/09/24 02:37 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Theo Gallus - 05/09/24 01:43 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by ewest - 05/09/24 01:12 PM
How much feed?
by TEC - 05/09/24 12:59 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by TEC - 05/09/24 12:55 PM
Finalizing Plans for Floating Dock and Ramp
by jludwig - 05/09/24 11:31 AM
My First
by FishinRod - 05/09/24 11:17 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 05/09/24 10:25 AM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food