Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick
18,512 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,985
Posts558,200
Members18,513
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
10 members (JKK, Bobbss, tlogan, Fishingadventure, shooterlurespond, KiwiGuy, Bill Cody, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, lafarmpondguy), 1,048 guests, and 150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#264241 07/09/11 06:23 PM
D
dbhelm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi, I'm dbh from Central Alabama. I have a home in a neighborhood with a 7-acre pond and a 12-acre pond. These are relatively deep ponds, with significant areas of 25+ ft, but also large areas of <5 ft. The property owners' association "manages" the ponds, with no clear goal except recreational fishing. One guy wants to catch crappie, another wants trophy bass, another wants to catch big bream, etc... On a positive note, the property owners' ass'n does do a good job keeping the ponds fertilized. Unfortunately (IMO) both ponds have threadfin shad and crappie. We also have bluegill, shellcrackers, channel cats, largemouth bass, and grass carp. That's a lot of species competing but the fishing is pretty good in both ponds, except that bass are very hard to catch in the smaller pond... but they are BIG. Several over 11 and one over 13 in recent years. In the larger pond, the bass are plentiful but small. I hope to learn a lot from the forum here, as well as the mag (which I subscribe to) to help me influence the property owners' ass'n to make the right choices for the ponds.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Lunker
Lunker
Welcome db, there is a lot of great info on the Pond Boss Forum as well as the magazine. There are always plenty of answers and opinions on specific questions. Sounds like your two ponds are pretty healthy.

Last edited by the stick; 07/09/11 08:52 PM.

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome dbh! Do you know if those depths are accurate? I recently did a depth survey on a pond that was supposed to be "6' deep on the shallow end and 12' deep at the deep end" and found the depths to be around 40" and 84" respectively......

Threadfin aren't a bad thing. The crappies will have to be intensively managed or they will most likely overpopulate. Those large LMB are hard to catch because there probably aren't many of them and they have probably seen a lot of different lures.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
7 acres and 12 acres are big enough bodies of water to allow some diversity. From the species you list, only the crappies really seem to be an issue. It may take a lot of extra management, but it can be done. Welcome to the forum!

D
dbhelm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: esshup
Do you know if those depths are accurate?

The depths are accurate. I have a sonar on my boat. Thanks for the replies and the welcome!

D
dbhelm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
A typical morning's work on the 7-acre pond:

D
dbhelm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Here's a pic of the smaller (7 acre) pond, taken from my pier up at the shallow end. I'll try to post another pic or two of this pond, plus one or two of the larger (12 acre) pond.

D
dbhelm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Here is the smaller (7 acre) pond, from the dam. Yes that is rain! WooHoo!

D
dbhelm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
This is the larger (12 acre) pond from the dam:

D
dbhelm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
This is the only management practice (other than fertilization) the property owners' association can agree on:

D
dbhelm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
One more datapoint, for what it's worth, I believe these ponds were build in the late 1950's or early 1960's.

R
R
Do you only use electric trolling motors for the boats.

D
dbhelm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: richey
Do you only use electric trolling motors for the boats.

Yes, that's right... electric motors only. Gasoline motors are not allowed. I use a foot controlled on the bow and hand controlled on the stern.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Nice looking bodies of water...

D
dbhelm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have described my situation, and posted some pics but I don't presently have any specific questions that can't be answered by the voluminous information already posted here on the forum, or in the printed magazine. My biggest challenge is getting property owners to agree on goals for the two ponds. If anyone has any suggestions based on the info provided, I'm all ears. Speaking of "all ears" here's a pic of my #1 fishing buddy. She's 4 yrs old and loves to fish as much as I do. In this pic, I think she heard bass chasing shad. Again, thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dbhelm
My biggest challenge is getting property owners to agree on goals for the two ponds. If anyone has any suggestions based on the info provided, I'm all ears.

Nice place! And Suzy's a real keeper....
As for achieving a consensus; GOOD LUCK! POA's/HOA's are notorious for conflict, dissention and "gathering up their marbles to play elsewhere". The louder voices and bigger egos often over-rule those with knowledge.
I might suggest compiling an all-inclusive/succinctly written list of the membership's various goals (not necessarily limited to just the agreed-upon goals).
("Buy-In" is the key, IMO. When a member's ideas isn't considered by the group, that member is unlikely to "buy-in", even in the face of overwhelming logic and reason. If you've ever driven cattle, and witnessed what happens when one cow takes a tangent to the herd, you can better appreciate this strategy.)

The next step could go in several directions. However, I would probably suggest hiring a qualified lake management consultant to assess the lake (design, existing population, etc) and review all of the membership's goals; thereafter addressing a meeting of the members to cover the pros, cons, feasibility, methods and COSTS relative to the listed goals.
A respected third-party consultant MIGHT be able to convince the membership that certain goals may or may not be in the best interests of the resource - or the sustained values of adjacent property-investments. Rarely have I seen this feat accomplished by one of the group's members on their own; and ever rarer while achieving a high percentage of "buy in".

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie
Originally Posted By: dbhelm
My biggest challenge is getting property owners to agree on goals for the two ponds. If anyone has any suggestions based on the info provided, I'm all ears.

Nice place! And Suzy's a real keeper....
As for achieving a consensus; GOOD LUCK! POA's/HOA's are notorious for conflict, dissention and "gathering up their marbles to play elsewhere". The louder voices and bigger egos often over-rule those with knowledge.
I might suggest compiling an all-inclusive/succinctly written list of the membership's various goals (not necessarily limited to just the agreed-upon goals).
("Buy-In" is the key, IMO. When some member's ideas aren't considered by the group, that member is unlikely to "buy-in", even in the face of overwhelming logic and reason. If you've ever driven cattle, and witnessed what happens when one cow takes a tangent to the herd, you can better appreciate this strategy.)

The next step could go in several directions. However, I would probably suggest hiring a qualified lake management consultant to assess the lake (design, existing population, etc) and review all of the membership's goals; thereafter addressing a meeting of the members to cover the pros, cons, feasibility, methods and COSTS relative to the listed goals.
A respected third-party consultant MIGHT be able to convince the membership that certain goals may or may not be in the best interests of the resource - or the sustained values of adjacent property-investments. Rarely have I seen this feat accomplished by one of the group's members on their own; and ever rarer while achieving a high percentage of "buy in".

Couldn't have written it better... That sums up the nightmares of an HOA pond!

D
dbhelm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks very much for the advice.

D
dbhelm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I caught a 6.5 lb Channel Cat on one of those Berkeley Gulp fake crickets this morning... Try that on a bream pole! Woo Hoo!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
RES are fanning out beds
by Fishingadventure - 05/03/24 09:04 PM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/03/24 08:52 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by Fishingadventure - 05/03/24 08:45 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/03/24 07:53 PM