Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Freunb02, anthropic, Fishingadventure, bmicek, KenHorton), 1,180 guests, and 214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#263975 07/06/11 06:52 PM
B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi, newbie here although I have had my pond for 20yr and it is about 40 yr old.
My new neighbors have a horse farm and I get runoff so the nutrient balance is changing.
I also have some trees down in the pond and that helps add crud to it.
Now about 4 yrs ago, I had a major duckweed infestation and it was easily fixed with fluridone. I have had some duckweek in the pond ever since but it has not become invasive.
Now to this year. Duckweed is back but not covering the pond. I have fluridone on the way and probably <a quart will help this.
The biggest problem is a brown algae bloom that seemed to appear almost overnight and covers the pond. It seems to be a very fine algae and appears to have some filaments coming from parts of it. In the morning, it seems to be bubbling so I assume it may be putting out some oxygen. I sprayed some of it yesterday with cutrine and some captan. Does anyone know what kind of algae this is and the best way to control it?
I am also looking at aeration systems. What do you folks think about the Thomas systems that are sold on ebay?
The pond appears to be a muck bottom from what I read. (odoriferous black mud.
This pond has always dropped a lot in the summer but last year's drought got it lower than I have ever seen it.
Any input and/or suggestions?
I appreciate you guys reading this.
Thanks
Bob
oh, the pond is about 1 acre and about 9 feet at it's deepest.

Last edited by bobslp; 07/06/11 06:55 PM.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Welcome to the forum... Photos of your algae problem would certain help in its ID.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, pics are almost a must when dealing with plants.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Will do, I had planned some before and after pics. Any feedback on the Thomas aerators?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thomas-Large-Pond-Ae...=item3a67da7dcf

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
It is a re-built Thomas compressor so I think you would do better purchasing a new compressor with warranty for about the same $$. The diffusers look like they are made out of "soaker hose" material and easily clog and become worthless. If you are looking for something economical I recomend checking out one of Pond Boss's supporters, Ted Lea www.cleanponds.com and check out his economy systems. Then you will know what you are getting and have someone you can be in direct contact with instead of some "mystery" ebay dealer from "somewhere" in the USA...

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Ok, this is odd. It rained last night and it cloudy today and this morning all I see is duckweed.
This makes me wonder if it's related to sunlight somehow. Anyway, I'll get pics when it recurs.
I took your advice and looked at the aeration company you suggested. with all I have going on this summer, I need as cheap as I can get. I did however look a little further on ebay because the posts and replies from the other guy didn't seem too knowledgeable since you mentioned it. This guy seems to have much more on the ball.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AladdinAerators-Larg...=item3cb95f0026
Fast reply to email and also lists a phone #.
Thanks, I'll be back

B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Ok, here's pics. Somebody please try to id this stuff....
Dunno if they attached or not, just have to post and see. I also forgot to add. This seemed to pop up after I added some muckaway to the pond. Could this have anything to do with it?

Attached Images
brown crud.jpg brown crud2.jpg
Last edited by bobslp; 07/09/11 05:20 PM.
Lunker
Lunker
Too much altitude.. I'd need a much closer-up photo to distinguish any details. Try collecting a SMALL sample of the stuff and lay it on a contrasting surface with a coin next to it (for size-reference), then take a photo as close to the stuff as your camera will focus.
Exactly what is "muckaway"?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I tried increasing the picture size, and it possibly looks like duckweed to me. Please do like Kelly suggested, even putting the camera in macro mode.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
If you look at the pics, (taken with smart phone). You will see light flecks which are duckweed. The red stuff is the stringy looking stuff around it.
I've been doing a little researching and wondering if this could be euglena? I will try to get more pics asap. If it were to be euglena how can it be controlled?
It seems I am seeing more and more posts here about red stuff on ponds....

I also forgot to add. When it rains, this stuff dissipates then returns a day or so later.
Thanks so much for your replies.

Last edited by bobslp; 07/12/11 11:44 AM.
B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Ok, I got a little better pic. Anyone know what it might be?

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: bobslp
Ok, I got a little better pic. Anyone know what it might be?

I tried using my imagination, but finally gave up.... grin
PS: I can't see the new pictures....

S
S
bobslp,

My setup is a lot like yours. I have a 1 acre pond, around 8-9 ft deep at deepest. I also have a Thomas compressor...2 actually! They are good pumps and are easy to rebuild. I just last week picked one up on eBay for $55 shipped - which I didn't need, because it turned out my capacitor was blown, not my pump. Now it will sit on my shelf as a spare. I had a flood take out my original pump last year and had to replace the bearings...but otherwise it's been running 24x7 all spring summer and fall for over 2 years.

If you are willing to put a little elbow grease in, you can do a lot better than the kit you linked to. I purchased a kit with a Thomas a few years back, and I'm in the process of replacing everything now (except the pump). I went with a cheap "kit" and now I'm regretting it.

If you buy a pump off eBay, you'll likely need to:

1) Get decent diffusers. The ones in your link look sub-par. As I understand Vertex makes the best. Ted Lea @ Forever Green is very helpful I just bought some there this week. http://www.cleanponds.com. You can also look at the "RC51" system in the aeration forum for some good ideas on other diffusers.

2) Make sure you have a capacitor and power cord for your pump (assuming you're using 115v). Generally they won't come with them unless otherwise stated, but you can pick one up for $10 and just cut up an old computer power cord.

3) Plumb a manifold on the pump that has a 30psi pressure gauge, a decent muffler, and a pop valve. It's also helpful to have a ball valve (or two, or three) depending on how many diffusers you need. Almost no pump you buy on eBay will have these (I see this one at least has the ball valves). Mine did not, and does not - I'm working on getting the pieces together now.

If you do the math on pump + capacitor + 200ft of weighted line, you're at $345. This leaves you some cash to set the pump up well and get good quality diffusers. You may not save a ton of money, but you'll get just what you need, and better stuff.

FYI - From talking with Ted @ Forever Green, if you have a Thomas pump you need more than 2 (vertex) diffusers else you're pushing too much air through them. You'll need 3-4 (up to 6 will work). I personally am installing 3 stations of 2 vertex diffuser pads. I can't wait to get my cheap "kit" diffusers out of the water!

Good luck! Happy ponding.

Straw

B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Here's what you guys asked for. For some reason, the last post didn't take. See if you can put the pics together and see what you think this might be...

Attached Images
brown1.jpg
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Often hard to tell from pics. Look at this and see if they are the same. DW often has other muck associated with it especially in the early stages. Some of that looks like FA. Lots here on DW and FA.

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/common-duckweed/

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/visual-index/common-duckweed/

Last edited by ewest; 07/15/11 08:58 AM.

B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I was thinking FA but wouldn't captan kill it? I have applied both captan and cutrine(sp) and it seems to have no effect. I'll continue to do my homework I have flurodone in the water so the duckweed should start to die back soon.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Several FA's can have a "protecticve mucilage" and chelated copper such as Cutrine and Captain can struggle to control. If the brown algae in the pic is not dead as often this is the apearence of departing FA, consider adding a labeled rate of a diquat type product like Knockout or Reward with the cheleted copper and add an aquatic surfactant like CideKick or DyneAmic to relieve the tension from your spray droplet and see if this does not work better for you.Install an aeration system that has as much as 3 turns per day depending on the shape and total goals of your pond.With the age of your pond a soaker hose type diffuser may foul easily and if enough lift is not maintained you may prolong your problem by hanging nutrients in the water column making them very available for FA. When duckweed and watermeal or any nutrient consuming plants or algae are eliminated keep in mind the nutrients are still there and the next in line will now flourish.Keep us posted.

B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks so much for all the replies! Is it possible that this stuff could actually be removing nutrients from the water?
Is there a section here on how to achieve a different nutrient balance?

B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Ok, the latest..It seems to be dissipating somewhat. I called the ag extension agent and he told me it was probably some kind of brown algae and that he had had several calls asking about the same thing so it seems to be somewhat local to NW TN.
He suggested aeration as have several folks so I have an aeration system on the way. I had to go with the ebay vendor who seemed the most knowledgeable (who also called and talked with me at length about his systems.) It was actually in his post where I noted that too much aeration too quickly could be dangerous.
As soon as I get something going, I'll post more. You folks have been a big help and thanks muchly.

I'm also wondering if the fluridone may be having some effect?

Last edited by bobslp; 07/19/11 08:51 AM.
B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
So this morning, the pond looks "dusty" the brown stuff seems to continue breaking up or whatever it's doing. The colorant is starting to show more. Due for next application of fluridone next week and hopefully the aerator will be here by then. I will have questions on that too.
Man, I am soooo glad I found this forum!

B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Ok, an update. After using one application of fluridone, captan and cutrine, colorant and an aeration system, (and God's grace of course since I was almost shooting in the dark) my pond is a beautiful pea green with no sign of algae, duckweed or other nasites.
I don't know what did it but the aeration system I got from the ebay vendor is so far kickin' butt.
It uses the "soaker hose" aerators so I will watch them for problems.
I am trying to include a pic to show what it looks like now. Thanks for all the advice and especially to Sue Cruz who told me to look for a better vendor. This guy was more than willing to return my call and talk at length with me on how to use the setup.

Attached Images
bubbles2.jpg
B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends....
Ok, after working the aerator up to round the clock, I ma seeing more of the brown algae. I am wondering if the aerator is causing some stuff on the bottom to come to the surface like I read in another thread.
So, some more guidance and suggestions if you will.
1. Use more copper? (I really hesitate to use more since I gather I can risk a fish kill)
2. Use Flurodine again? (I doubt that it had any effect on it unless it's some odd kind of floating weed plus I hate to put that expensive stuff in the pond when it will just wash out with the fall or spring rains.
3. Aerate less or more? It seems that the growth is related to the aeration. I still have trees down in the water and am waiting for it to drop a few more inches so I can get in and get them out and burned.
As always, I am deeply appreciative for any feedback.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Can you post a pic of the new stuff ?

DW does not like moving water.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
bobsip, as far as your aeration goes what is your current lift per day or gpm? If your lift is in the .75 or less per 24 hr range you may be simply hanging up nutrients in the water column and feeding FA.

B
bobslp Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Here is what I bought. I emailed the guy to ask about the info you posted. See if this helps. I am still feeling my way with all this stuff and can't figure out why it disappeared for so long and started back when I started deep aeration.
Thanks pics to follow
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250848645707?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited by esshup; 09/01/11 08:52 PM. Reason: Turned it into a working link
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM