Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
ziggy Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
Z
Hello All,

I have a fairly new pond (water since feb) here in south Texas -(Seguin). Recently, the whole damn thing exploded with filamentous algae. I currently have around 2k bluegill, and 500 RES in this pond- feeding aquamax twice a day (short interval, being gobbled up immediately) - and I have an RC51 style aerator running.
I am not certain of the ponds exact acreage since it is shaped more like a 'V' - but due to my flow rate, and time to fill - I think is somewhere between 2.5 and 4 acres of surface.
Another thing to note- this pond is kept at a fairly constant level via a pump from a nearby creek. I have a submersible well pump rigged, with a float switch controlling the level. (without this- I would just have a dry hole at this time in south Texas...)

Here are 2 pictures of the pond for reference:

I have been pushing the FA out of the area the feeder covers with a small boat equipped with a small seine. The feeding area is somewhat 'blocked' buy my air line which does not float.

- Water clarity is a bit 'too' good

My question to this forum, is; given what I have here, what is the best way to deal with the FA? I do realize that I am probably adding nutrients to the problem by A)feeding B)pumping water from the creek which may be nutrient rich
- I would like to take care of this without chemicals, and would not be opposed to doing it manually if there is a smarter way than a seine on a boat...realistically I would prefer to create a situation where the water is clean, even if that means changing the ecosystem.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ziggy:

I'd check on http://www.acme.com/planimeter/ to see if the pond is on there. You can get an accurate measurement that way.

As for the FA, there has to be some high nutrient loading for the pond to grow that much that quickly. Is the stream water high in nutrients? The well water should not be. Run-off from a feed lot, pasture, etc.? If the pond is that large, then the numbers of fish shouldn't be a problem. How much food are you going thru in a month?

Manual removal would be the best, although it's a PITA. Raking it out and removing it from the pond basin would be the best. If you just kill it the nutrients are still in the pond and the cycle continues.

I wonder if a semi-trash pump would work to suck up the algae, spit it up on the bank, but allow the water to run back into the pond without carrying the algae back in with it? Maybe spit the water on the opposite side of a silt fence??

Last edited by esshup; 06/15/11 10:46 PM. Reason: semi-trash pump

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
I wonder if a semi-trash pump would work to suck up the algae, spit it up on the bank, but allow the water to run back into the pond without carrying the algae back in with it? Maybe spit the water on the opposite side of a silt fence??

My attempts to vacuum anything off of a pond's surface with a trash-pump hasn't been very successful, since the pump looses prime very quickly if it inducts any air (cavitates). It is more difficult to avoid cavitation on or near the surface than you might believe.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Awww, rats. Another idea down the tubes! grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Z
ziggy Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
Z
Thanks to everyone for the replies- it sounds like my best bet is to pack a lunch, and get to pushing/raking algae? What are the experts thoughts on using something like cutrine+ at this point? From my reading- it looks to be fairly non-intrusive to the fish.

If it helps- I sent off a water sample of the water I am using to fill the pond to TAMU water labs, here are the results:

If it was your pond, what would you do? (all answers welcome- If I am doing it wrong, let me know I would like constructive feedback on filling from the creek, with the understanding that if I don't, the pond will dry up like all others in the area.)

Thanks again for your time and thoughts!

Lunker
Lunker
I'm not an expert but I'm surprised by your water sample result for Phosphorus. It's my understanding that a high Phosphorus level encourages plant and algae growth but your test result shows Phosphorus to be .48 ppm. Can anyone explain this?

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Ziggy,

RC here, Hey glad to see your using my air system setup. Unless you made a couple of mods to it though it may be a little small for your size pond? My system that I built was setup more for a pond about 1.5 acres or less. Just FYI on that.

I am no expert either and maybe one of them will chime in here but, I am wondering if you have only had water in that BOW since Feb. maybe you got way to many things going on in that pond and now it's blazing hot out too??? That's a very new pond and it's going through a lot of changes still trying to establish itself. I may be way off base, but lets think about this for a second.

New pond never had water in it until Feb. So it's basically 4 months old or so.

1. The Eco system in that pond is changing and changing fast right now.
2. Then you went ahead and threw 3000 fish in it and started feeding them.
3. All of a sudden it going through it's first HOT, summer also.

4. You have water coming in from a creek that you really not to sure about except the water test looks ok?

I don't know you see where I am going with this? Maybe it's just a cycle it's going through being it's so new of a pond. I don't know for sure that's just my thoughts. Like I said not an expert but if your fish are fine and the water test is fine and everything else is ok then I wouldn't panic, I know there are a few guys out here that have had some issues with this too. Maybe they will chime in and help.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Zig,

Check this link out. Some good reading on FA.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=262086#Post262086

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Z
ziggy Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
Z
Hey RC,
Thanks for the perspective- I read your comment the other day, and went ahead and took a day to think about it before replying. I think 'patience' is what I need to tell myself over, and over again. It has been a fun half year- pushing dirt, studying, pushing more dirt, measuring, testing- etc. Finally got water and fish in it and I am raring to go, but the fact is this is a new type of endeavor- and not something I can fix with a wrench in an afternoon ( I rode an RC51 in college if that tells you anything about my personality).

In short I hear you loud and clear.

That being said- with all the moving pieces I have going right now...would it be smart to stop feeding and/or aerating for a while?

- I think I over-estimated the pond size as well, using the calculator that esshup provided *thanks esshup!*, it looks like I am closer to 1-2 acres.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Zig

So you know what a RC51 is hey?? Cool most folks on this site don't put the 2 together! They are a fun toy for sure! I have had one now for 4 years. So I think your personality seems good to me! smile

Hey now back to your pond. Dude I can't give yo much advise on feeding as I don't feed my fish. I can tell you this you DONT want to stop your air! Where your FA is coming from I don't know? I am not versed enough on new ponds to tell you what you need to do for sure. You may just be in an area where your going to get a lot of Nutrients and you may have to find out if there is a good chemical you can use on the FA or I know some guys on this site that use Talapia to control there FA they eat it like candy from what I been told. Or it could be just because it's such a new pond too and going through a LOT of changes! It might be a good idea to get a game and fish bio guy out there to check it out maybe he could tell you something?? Sorry wish i could help more but just keeping it real so you don't think I am a pond guru, because I am not that's for sure. I have only had my pond 3 years and still learning a LOT!!!! Hey keep us posted as to what happens or what you find out ok! Would like to know.

Have a good one Zig,

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Ziggy you out there???

Hey Zig was just wondering how your pond was doing these days? Better I hope! Give us a shout if you get this! Maybe a few more pics!!

later,

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Ziggy....Tilapia will be perfect in that pond for FA control!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM