Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo
18,513 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,988
Posts558,232
Members18,514
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,567
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
5 members (Mainer, Meandvls, JKK, Knobber, DrewSh), 1,097 guests, and 154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Anyone know of someone I could trust to assess, repair a pond in the southern KY area? (Nancy KY 42544)

I originally went to a few local supply stores and asked for references last April. I was told by each person to go to the same guy. I figured because I was given the same name by a couple of people he must be the person for the job. Anyways the guy came out and dug me a pond in May(2010), but the extreme drought killed any chances of seeing if it would hold water. I have since found that the watershed was way too small, only about 3 to 1, so I dug about 1300' of trench along my hillsides and figure my ratio is now near 20 to 1. Since completion a month or so ago my water level has risen from 4' to about 15' about 6' from full pool. But between rains it seems that I am losing about an inch of water or more per day, but not 100% sure on that because I live about 3 hours away and don't get to sneak down there too often.

I believe that the core was done correctly, but it does not seem that the dam was compacted correctly, possibly due to the dry conditions and the fact that a roller was not used. Anyways the guy who did the work will not return my calls and I doubt I will be able to get him back out to fix any issues.

If anyone knows of anyone in the southern KY area who is trustworthy and knowledgable in pond repair I sure would appreciate some contact info. I really want to start building a dock soon so it is ready by summer, but if I build it where I want it it would most likely have to be moved or tore down to allow access for equipment if I have to repair the pond.

Thanks in advance for any help!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm not sure you have a problem. It will take quite awhile for water to stop wicking back into the dry sides of the bank.

If it were me, and it's not, I would watch it awhile to see how it settles.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
OP Offline
A
Unfortunately patience is not one of my virtues, but more importantly it is not one of my wife's virtues and she is gonna bug the heck outta me until there is a dock and some landscaping. I have been waiting to hear back from the kentucky dept of FWR to see if they can recommend someone to take a look. I am completely new to owning a pond and would just like to find an expert I can trust to assess it now or have someone to call in the future if I am able to determine I have a problem.

You are probably right, and I am probably juist being paranoid, but I have wanted my own pond since I was a little boy, now I have it and it is gonna drive me crazy until I am sure it is holding water...

Thanks

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Lack of patience on my part has always meant $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
OP Offline
A
Yes, that does always seem to be the case and I know better, just think I need to hear someone else tell me that from time to time... I think I will hold off on any permanent construction at this time. Maybe it will buy me some time with the wife and kids if I install a zip line across the pond or get one of those inflatable trampolines.

Still would appreciate a good contact in the Southern KY area if anyone has one.

Thanks!

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I'm not in southren Ky. But in Tn.

www.grayconstruction.net

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
What made this noise?