Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,765
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 635 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've had an on and off problem with a the neighbor behind me. He apparently lets the dog hang out in the garage when he's gone, and leaves the door open for it to roam. Now he's got two dogs!

My concern is they are very small dogs and I set muskrat traps around the ponds. On top of that my Akita gets very excited when they come into the yard, and I'm afraid she will jump off the deck to get at them at one place near the steps in the back where she won't have to jump very far.

I probably screwed up big time yesterday by running them off with the dog on the lease. (She's always on a leash when she's not on the deck.) Trouble was I acted really aggressive and she followed suit and bit the one dog several times. Not hard enough to break skin though. She's is big enough she could easily kill the dogs. She's not aggressive by nature but I realized then and there I could have taught her to be.

I had a talk with the neighbor and he assured me he would try and keep them in the yard. Of course it's obvious he has no control as he tried to get the dogs to come into the garage and they ignored him.

Hopefully the entire back yard will be fenced in this summer, and I won't have to deal with his dogs. I just wish some people would be responsible. His last dog got run over by a car. Go figure.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/14/11 02:10 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
We have dogs out in our neighborhood all the time, and not little yippy ones. Played phone tag with the county and town a few months ago over who's responsibility it is to respond after a German Shepard got after my 18 month old daughter during a walk down the street. Hard to control a strange dog and a screaming 18 month old at the same time. It had a muzzle, but no collar or tag mad. A completely different department's K-9 unit came out a few weeks later and tracked down the owner to have a little discussion about properly housing a dog that requires a muzzle. Two Dobermans get out just about every day as well, and those people breed them and sell the puppies! I guess AKC registered Dobermans are not worth enough to bother keeping track of or inside a fence.

Lunker
Lunker
Your akita is leased?

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bullhead
Your akita is leased?

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Whoops yeah I meant leashed. What are you an editor? grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'll tell ya right now if any dog got after any of my young childrens.. There would no longer be a problem PERIOD. Dogs would be dead and disposed of within hours.. I've already got rid of my beloved ($2600) Champion breed English bulldogs because they couldn't get along with the kids I'll be damn if some random 'soul' from down the streets dog is gonna go after my kids..

Last edited by Sunil; 04/15/11 03:58 PM. Reason: just a tad too rough with the a$$

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Very true BGkiller. But sadly 99 percent of the time the problem is the owner for being irresponsible by allowing their dogs to roam.

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Yes, I have a neighbor that had a dog killed on our Country Road by the mail person. He told me that was his favorite. He bought two more dogs and let's them run loose. Go figure.

No rabies tags on the dogs either.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Don't even get me started.... I have several neighbors who let their animals roam free, and not just dogs and cats either. The ones next door have a "mini farm", (their real house is in town), and their menagerie includes: goats, dogs ,cats, miniature and full size horses, pigs, rabbits, and chickens. The rabbits and chickens never last long, so they go out and get more. The sad part is they don't have a clue how to properly care for the animals, and their fence-building skills leave a lot to be desired also. They seem to think that just because they live out in the country they should be allowed to have whatever animals they want. That's fine, but animals are work, period. You have to be willing and able to tend to their needs, and maintain the property to accomodate them. You can't blame an animal for constantly getting out when they're hungry. I have a business here at my home, (I repair outdoor power equipment) and it's ridiculous when my customers have to wait while the neighbor's goats and horses cross MY drive in front of them. Not to mention the time I looked out, and a goat had it's front feet in the seat of a late model John Deere X585, $$$. That stuff won't fly with me. Although I don't blame the animals, I've talked till' I'm blue in the face, to no avail. The law doesn't want to get involved, so I guess that leaves the three "S's"... Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up. Goat? what goat? you missing a goat? huh, I'll sure keep my eyes open, hope you find it....

See, I said not to get me started....

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Don't even get me started.... I have several neighbors who let their animals roam free, and not just dogs and cats either. The ones next door have a "mini farm", (their real house is in town), and their menagerie includes: goats, dogs ,cats, miniature and full size horses, pigs, rabbits, and chickens. The rabbits and chickens never last long, so they go out and get more. The sad part is they don't have a clue how to properly care for the animals, and their fence-building skills leave a lot to be desired also. They seem to think that just because they live out in the country they should be allowed to have whatever animals they want. That's fine, but animals are work, period. You have to be willing and able to tend to their needs, and maintain the property to accomodate them. You can't blame an animal for constantly getting out when they're hungry. I have a business here at my home, (I repair outdoor power equipment) and it's ridiculous when my customers have to wait while the neighbor's goats and horses cross MY drive in front of them. Not to mention the time I looked out, and a goat had it's front feet in the seat of a late model John Deere X585, $$$. That stuff won't fly with me. Although I don't blame the animals, I've talked till' I'm blue in the face, to no avail. The law doesn't want to get involved, so I guess that leaves the three "S's"... Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up. Goat? what goat? you missing a goat? huh, I'll sure keep my eyes open, hope you find it....

I feel for ya!

My dad had a friend that was also a Green Beret that saved my dad's life in Vietnam. He's quite well off and owns just about every gun there is, and if he has only one of two that are out there, he has the option to buy the other one if the owner wants to sell.

He is an incredible shot and even offered to show me how to make a homemade silencer when I had a federal permit to shoot herons -- as not to excite the neighbors with the sound of a gun. I didn't take him up on it though.

Anyway to make a long story short his neighbors had some kind of birds that made a racket during all hours of the day. Talking to them got nowhere. So he picked them off one by one with a pellet gun and the neighbor couldn't figure out where all his birds were going. grin

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
On a somewhat related note, does anyone know what the meat tastes like from a Canada Goose that has consumed a large, daily ration of Aquamax? Do they convert it on a 2/1 ratio like my HBG?
Wait, that's it. I've got it. I'll host a little get-together for the pondmeisters who couldn't make it to Big Cedar. I'll throw a TURKEY, and some VENISON on the grill. Yep, plain ole' turkey and venison. That's not evidence neighbor, it's leftovers.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
On a somewhat related note, does anyone know what the meat tastes like from a Canada Goose that has consumed a large, daily ration of Aquamax? Do they convert it on a 2/1 ratio like my HBG?
Wait, that's it. I've got it. I'll host a little get-together for the pondmeisters who couldn't make it to Big Cedar. I'll throw a TURKEY, and some VENISON on the grill. Yep, plain ole' turkey and venison. That's not evidence neighbor, it's leftovers.

grin

The dog and I run off CG early every year and they they stop coming. It helps I have a pier all the way across the pond in the center. They get confused when you can pretty much get close to them anywhere on the pond when they try and swim away. grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Four found themselves mysteriously dead at our pond in the past 2 to 3 weeks. Amazingly, it appears word has gotten out as we haven't seen any take their place. I was talking with my neighbor tonight - he and his family live on the adjoining parcel - and he said there haven't been any around for about a week now. I told him about the 4 mysteriously dead birds and he felt that might have been why no more come around. Perhaps too much lead in the area to sustain avian life. I may have it checked out sometime.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
R
R
Haha! I've had similar problems. Ducks have found my fish feeder. They can eat alot of pellets in just seconds. I paid my nephews $20.00 to catch the duck and get rid of it, which they did. Now there are two new ducks! crazy

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It's pretty amazing how much they'll eat, isn't it? We let a pair of Canada Geese do their thing last year and it was actually really cool to watch the entire process of egg laying to seeing the babies fly away. The poop was a whole different matter, though. One season was more than enough and they are no longer welcome. Last year, though, when I was trying to get rid of some worthless fish food, I'd just throw a couple of cupfuls in for dad while he was swimming and he would devour all of it within 5 to 10 minutes.

Todd La Neve

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Todd, you've got that right. they are eating machines. They've learned my feeding schedule, and at least one is waiting on me when I get to the pond. Those suckers can hoover up pellets like nobody's business.

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S

Whoa, Son. I'll have to party with you.

I think fences could be a whole new thread. I've seen some bizarre attempts at "fixing." My fixes aren't perfect, but I do the best I can and they look decent. Good fences make for good neighbors.

Mine are all "bob" wire.

Last edited by Sniper; 04/15/11 08:46 AM.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I don't have a recipe for dog, but the breast meat from canada geese makes great smoked jerky. Sliced 1/4" thick with the grain, marinate two days minimum using the following per pound:

1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp brown sugar

I like to add a cup or two of water with spices in a quart jar and shake to mix evenly, pour over strips in a stock pot. Keep in fridge and mix by hand every 12 hours until ready to smoke. I marinate 2 days minimum. Smoke with apple wood between 160-180F for about 6 hours or until dry to your liking. Refrigerate after dried and in a couple days the brown sugar makes a sticky outer coating, consume with beverage of choice.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Many parts of VA allow the hunting of deer with dogs. Unfortunately, man of the hunters who own said dogs don't seem to care about retrieving them so they run lose nearly year round. Then, there is no law forbidding them from coming onto your property... And, to top it off the law says the owner can legally come onto your posted property to retrieve his dogs! How that is constitutional I have no idea... I have no problem with guys hunting deer with dogs if that's their things. What I do have a problem with is their complete lack of respect for the dogs themselves and the land owners who land their dogs run all over.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
After Luna was trained, I just let Her be Herself.

Never had a problem, let Her run Free. She could do as she wanted.

I never had to control Her, because, She was in control!

Outside of a few public places that had leash laws, I never had to hook Her up. If I did, Luna had no problem with that. She always stayed by my side anyway, even out in public places. Guess She was looking out for me.

It is not possible to replace Luna.

But, for all of you humans considering a K9 friend, It all begins with LOVE, and continues on until you meet at the Rainbow Bridge.

Love, and not possession will train your dog well!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My last dog stuck around the yard and went wherever I went except -- when another dog or cat showed up -- then all bets were off! No willpower! She'd come back knowing she had done wrong but at the same time I got the idea her attitude was, " I know I shouldn't have run after them but it was worth it!"

The one I have now is so dumb around cars I can't take the chance with a busy highway in front of the house. I take her out four or five times a day on a retractable lease, but it's good for me to get out and get exercise. It also allows me to see if there are any problems on the pond. We usually do a perimeter sweep of the ponds.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Roaming dogs seem to disappear in my area. However, they might sometimes be found about 80 miles South in the Fort Worth Animal Shelter.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Is that via the Davidson taxi service?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
On the advice of counsel, don't answer that question, Dave!

Todd La Neve

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Best answer - everyone knows dogs can run a long way.

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
On the advice of counsel, don't answer that question, Dave!

Ve haff wayz of making yu talk!

Not water boarding, but you are forced to watch 30 minutes of C Span.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many LMB to remove?
by Boondoggle - 04/17/24 11:26 PM
Opportunistic Munchers
by Snipe - 04/17/24 11:25 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/17/24 11:18 PM
EURYHALINE POND UPDATE