Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,999
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
8 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, Deancutler, JoshMI, Joe7328, BamaBass9, Bigtrh24, Bobbss), 1,399 guests, and 370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I'm thinking of buying a directional feeder (probably Texas Hunter). I will build a small platform so that the feeder is just beyond the water's edge. I have a 2 acre pond with LMB, BG, FHM and GSH. Fish were stocked 3 years ago after the pond was renovated.

Does it matter where I locate the feeder? Should I put it so the feed shoots over large underwater rock piles and other structure? Or should the feed shoot into open water? Deep water? Shallow water?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
It depends on what you are trying to do (goal). Here is what we do.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Feeder locations can be surprisingly tricky based alot upon your goals, your preferred fishing techniques and locations, who else will be fishing, your predator species, and what kind of habitat/food source is currently available.

In general though, you want to feed your fish in a zone that is natural for them to feed in safely comfortable.

Fingerling
Fingerling
Many people forget to take into account the average wind direction on the lake. Wind can really effect the distance a feeder can project feed. Wind can also increase the amount of food you are using if half of it floats onto the bank before the fish can even get to it.

Happy Fishing!!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Rob I would guess you ae mainly feeding bluegill. I suggest yes close to cover (rock is good) and in shallow water but not a big expanse of shallow water. Like to have deeper water close by. Good point play the wind. It will help spread the feed to larger area.

No need for a platform with the Texas Hunter. If you do build a platform for ease of fillign etc. Make sure to let them know you want the dock legs. Much smaller footprint to save you space. GL.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Yep, feeding bluegill.... and anything else that will eat the pellets. Thanks for the feedback.

V
V
Maybe try hand feeding and see what place gives you the best results, then you can place the feeder accordingly. The wind point is a very good one. In the pond I feed trout in, they mostly hang out in the deeper water along the dam. However, the wind is almost always blowing in this direction and has the entire pond and about 300 yards of field beyond that with no breaks other than a few trees around the bank. It can make feeding very difficult at times but fortunately there's a mallard who likes to swim along the shore and eat what the fish don't.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Is it true that you should not place the feeder close to spawning areas?

If the best place to put your feeder (I have to hang mine from a tree) is not necessarily the best water, should one consider adding rocks, trees, etc. under the feeder?

If this is the case what would someone recommend?

BG, HBG, GSF, CC and maybe some minnows (if any were lucky enough to make it) are what currently eat my feed, just in case this makes a difference.

I plan to put mine back up tomorrow so that is why I thought I would ask.

Thanks

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I would personally try to avoid a spawning area. I prefer an open area where the fish should naturally congregate. Some people make the mistake of putting a feeder where it is convenient for them and hope the fish will travel to it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
My fish took to it fine last year so I think it worked out ok, would it be better somewhere else, may never know.

But when the pond was way low I did notice that the water I feed is pretty deep so I doubt they spawn there, and there does happen to be a little bit of brush there so that may help.

I was able to get it back up on Wednesday and set it on a low setting to get them coming back before turning it up.

We had a few takers up close anyway so I hope it does not take much longer than a week for them to start feeding again.

An issue I do have is the amount of FA that is on the pond already. I will post my concerns on it later.

Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 05:13 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner