Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK
18,516 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,991
Posts558,279
Members18,517
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,575
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
16 members (esshup, FishinRod, Bigtrh24, tlogan, Theo Gallus, Sunil, Theeck, DrewSh, Dave Davidson1, tylerd1994, canyoncreek, bmo, BarkyDoos, Brian from Texas, blueyss, phinfan), 1,087 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Finally! The last of the ice left the pond today.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
dap Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
I live about 10 miles from esshup. Ice gone here cool too. No floaters. Happy is the word. I was getting worried with all the snow on the ice and the low water table.

Last edited by dap; 03/13/11 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
We are still iced in pretty solid up here. Official "Ice free" day was March 21st last year.....so maybe the next 8 days or so will help. We are supposed to see some mild temps and a bit of rain this week.

I was out ice fishing on a small lake just 8 minutes down the road yesterday and there was a good 20" of ice there!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: Rattletrap2
We are still iced in pretty solid up here. Official "Ice free" day was March 21st last year

You must live in the Tropical part of Canada. grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
dap, how's the pond level? Some of the ponds along 30 to the West of you are full, but mine only came up 5".

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
dap Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm still down about 2 feet from where I would like the level to be but like we know its a water table pond and were at its mercy. Its been as much as 3 feet higher but that level is not sustainable. I was concerned about low O2 levels with the ice and snow cover we had and the length of time everything was covered. I did have my bubble stone running and had some open water most of the winter. I figured I was ok when things started to thaw and I would see thousands of minnows swimming around the edge of the pond. Since then I have been seeing a few BG too. Right now I am also up about 6-7 inches from where I was a couple weeks ago.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep, I know the feeling about groundwater ponds!
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=248722#Post248722
Glad that your fish made it O.K.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
Ice fishing has been closed by the owner at Bremer Pond. Mud tracking and ruts through the lawn, if you were going out there now. We still have plenty of ice, but I am pulling the pin for the winter. Normally I like to fish late ice, but enough is enough when it comes to this winter. Time to sharpen those spinnerbaits!

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I went down last evening and turned on the circulator full time 24/7. Running it full time when the weather is warming seems to clear the ice a little faster. More importantly, it keeps the ice pack away from the Barge area.

I should mention that I drove the Mule part way and then walked the rest of the way. The ground is frozen with the top couple inches being slick a snot mud. Backing up, the Mule slid sideways down the bank into a couple feet of wet snow. An hour and a half later I finally got out. mad

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dwight
I went down last evening and turned on the circulator full time 24/7. Running it full time when the weather is warming seems to clear the ice a little faster. More importantly, it keeps the ice pack away from the Barge area.

I should mention that I drove the Mule part way and then walked the rest of the way. The ground is frozen with the top couple inches being slick a snot mud. Backing up, the Mule slid sideways down the bank into a couple feet of wet snow. An hour and a half later I finally got out. mad

So you eskimos get anxious for spring too eh? grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I checked the 5 day forecast today for my land at Bowie. Friday the hi is forecasted to be 90. Be careful what you wish for. No significant moisture since 10/1/10.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dwight

Mule....Stuck? Say it ain't so!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The arctic is a brutal place!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
Yep, and every year it seems to get a little snower and a little colder. This couldn't have something to do with age, could it?

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
J
J
Rained all last night here and never got anywhere near freezing (like they inaccurately promised). As a result, I woke up to find the ice completely gone from the pond!

Time to ready the structure/habitat and get the pump running.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: the stick
Yep, and every year it seems to get a little snower and a little colder. This couldn't have something to do with age, could it?

Could be the arctic oscilation is in a phase where it's dipping farther south than usual.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Unfortunately we seem to be in a negative arctic oscillation which has shifted more cold air and moisture south, we need more positive AO. wink

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Unfortunately we seem to be in a negative arctic oscillation which has shifted more cold air and moisture south, we need more positive AO. wink

There must be an echoe in here. grin

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Hey, be happy I didn't bring up Lunar and Solar cycles, not to mention the dreaded MMGW. laugh

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Hey, be happy I didn't bring up Lunar and Solar cycles, not to mention the dreaded MMGW. laugh

That's true. With you I was expecting the dreaded GWC!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/17/11 05:40 AM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Still iced in here in Ann Arbor. Hopefully the next few days will chase it away. Lots of rain has brought the pond back to full pool. The ice jacked up the dock for a couple of days, but it settled back down.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Hey Coach, if your having problems with ice around your dock try a small submersible pump.
I mounted a 20 watt pump on an 8 inch platform to keep it off the bottom, then put it under the front of the dock, it's worked great.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
How safe is the ice around it? I thought about doing that, but was concerned about the open water and ice thickness. When does the ice head out for you and the floating islands rise?

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Yeah I can see your concern about ice safety, I've been on the ice a couple feet away from the hole with no problem but it's only 4 ft. deep, and the pump directs a stream of water straight up from the bottom instead of a aerator with lots of bubbles in a wider pattern, the famous " it all depends" probably applies.

The pond has never had ice-out earlier than April and the islands don't reach full floating height till May.

Did you ever decide to build a floating island?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It's 68 F. today with the wind howling to 35 mph. The big pond being in the open will have it's temps increase dramatically.

One day a few years ago with similar conditions, but a little warmer in the 70's, the pond went from some remnant ice to 50 F. by afternoon from top to bottom! I kid you not! That's how exposed this pond is to the wind.

I fed the larger perch in the large pond today even with temps dropping again. They seem to be cruising the shorelines at about 4 feet probably nailing small bluegills. (I had some female gills escape a cage last year.)

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/18/11 08:54 PM.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
BirdD@wg, BWillis, Mike Troyer
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Little update and a question on harvesting
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:21 AM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:15 AM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond